Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Work friend wager

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's simply because the bookies have based it on us being 3 points behind after 1/3 of the season has been played. Their predictions are useless.
So you're saying those same bookies have us 21 points ahead of Norwich at the end of the season?

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
So you're saying those same bookies have us 21 points ahead of Norwich at the end of the season?

As I said in post #12, they alter their formula if they believe a team is a false position, which isn't the case for us and Newcastle. However, I'd argue that Norwich are in a false position following a run of bad results. The same way Bristol City were in a false position before Saturday, and are probably predicted to finish around mid table. Without checking, I'd imagine they'd predict them to finish on around the same points as us.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
The ‘’Spread’’ is the number of points Albion are expected to get after 46 games this season. That is currently set between 83.5 and 85.5 points. You can bet over i.e more than 85.5 or under which is less than 83.5.

If you bet £10 per point that Albion would get over 85.5 points you would win or lose as follows :

If Albion got 84 points. No win / no lose – I.e between 83.5 and 85.5 points

If Albion got 90 points you would win £45 (4.5, the difference between 90 and 85.5 multiplied by 10)

If Albion got 80 points you would lose £35 (3.5, the difference between 83.5 and 80)

You can really do your nuts on spread betting if you get it wrong.

One thing I have never understood is spread betting.

I know that you can make massive profit and massive loss. However, do you have to have the money in your account to cover the loss or at least a predicted percentage of it?

Thinking of some of our credit checks we do for customers. Say you have £10,000 limit available and buy a monthly subscription at £2,000 a month then we would take 3 months worth off the credit limit to ensure that we were covered (well have less exposure) if something were to go wrong.

Is it similar here? Such as you are placing £10 bet but need to have £40 in the account that is quarantined just in case? Or do they end up requesting it and then send the boys round if not paid?

Something I would never do as I don't fully get it and hate the big risk but something that has always intrigued me

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I have a Geordie mate, and I have two bets running with him at the moment for the standard stake, a gutbuster at the diner.
He's bet that Dwight Gayle will score more goals than Glenn Murray this year.
&
Newcastle will remain top now for the rest of the season.
I'm confident that I will be enjoying two meals at my friend's expense.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
a lot will depend on our injury list come January
I think a lot will depend on how long Newcastle's title party goes on for. They could be on course to finish miles ahead, but then live it up and win the title by less.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
In case anyone is interested

http://www.sportingindex.com/spread...84cb-bd13d3debfdd/championship-points-2016-17

Newcastle Points
37/16 92.5 94.5

Brighton Points
34/16 83.5 85.5

Norwich Points
27/16 75 77

Huddersfield Points
29/16 71 73

Sheffield Wednesday Points
24/16 69.5 71.5

Reading Points
28/16 67.5 69.5

Aston Villa Points
21/16 66.5 68.5

Bristol City Points
24/16 66 68

Leeds Points
26/16 64 66

Fulham Points
24/16 64 66

Derby Points
20/16 63.5 65.5

Birmingham Points
25/16 63 65

Brentford Points
22/16 61.5 63.5

Preston Points
23/16 60.5 62.5

Ipswich Points
21/16 58.5 60.5

Wolves Points
17/16 57 59

QPR Points
20/16 56 58

Barnsley Points
21/16 55.5 57.5

Cardiff Points
15/16 53 55

Burton Points
18/16 52.5 54.5

Nottingham Forest Points
16/16 52.5 54.5

Wigan Points
14/16 50.5 52.5

Blackburn Points
13/16 46 48

Rotherham Points
7/16 35.5 37.5

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

I know that you can make massive profit and massive loss. However, do you have to have the money in your account to cover the loss or at least a predicted percentage of it?

Thinking of some of our credit checks we do for customers. Say you have £10,000 limit available and buy a monthly subscription at £2,000 a month then we would take 3 months worth off the credit limit to ensure that we were covered (well have less exposure) if something were to go wrong.

Is it similar here? Such as you are placing £10 bet but need to have £40 in the account that is quarantined just in case? Or do they end up requesting it and then send the boys round if not paid?

Something I would never do as I don't fully get it and hate the big risk but something that has always intrigued me

I haven't done the spreads for a while - I got done on a total runs market in an England series when said batsman got injured and cost me a fortune. At that time, it was a sign up in blood and say goodbye to the wife and kids type agreement if you don't pay where it is in excess of your account.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

It's the same as any credit being given. The lender in this case the bookmaker will asses the risk of letting you have a bet which could potentially wipe out any credit/deposit in your account. My experience is that within reason they will allow you to place most trades. I can't ever being recall being knocked back on a bet including one occasion where I accidentally placed a £100 instead of a £10 a point trade which would have cost me about 7 times my credit limit had it gone very wrong. Obviously the difference being between straight forecast betting is you can sell/buy your trade back in most cases instantly only losing the spread.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's the same as any credit being given. The lender in this case the bookmaker will asses the risk of letting you have a bet which could potentially wipe out any credit/deposit in your account. My experience is that within reason they will allow you to place most trades. I can't ever being recall being knocked back on a bet including one occasion where I accidentally placed a £100 instead of a £10 a point trade which would have cost me about 7 times my credit limit had it gone very wrong. Obviously the difference being between straight forecast betting is you can sell/buy your trade back in most cases instantly only losing the spread.

I vaguely that [MENTION=449]Biffer[/MENTION] got stopped from trading on the Albion, and I think both you and I were chipping into his trades, when we were doing well in (the now) League 2. If my memory is right, the ban happened after we'd lumped on us at Aldershot in the Cup and we won 6-2.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I haven't done the spreads for a while - I got done on a total runs market in an England series when said batsman got injured and cost me a fortune. At that time, it was a sign up in blood and say goodbye to the wife and kids type agreement if you don't pay where it is in excess of your account.

This reminds me [MENTION=314]Arthur[/MENTION]. Any tales to tell on backing England, particularly down under?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I vaguely that [MENTION=449]Biffer[/MENTION] got stopped from trading on the Albion, and I think both you and I were chipping into his trades, when we were doing well in (the now) League 2. If my memory is right, the ban happened after we'd lumped on us at Aldershot in the Cup and we won 6-2.

You remember correctly. Can't remember if we bought the suprem or the goals. Think it was the goals. Pretty sure we had a decent drink that night.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot

Thanks Guys - think it is best that I continue to keep my distance!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here