Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
:bowdown:

What are you wearing while riding in that?

At that point, we had to slow right down as there had been a accident on the road.
By the time we'd got going again, I'd 'lost' my fingers.
They were completely numb and I couldn't change gear.
Fortunately after about half an hour they started to get some circulation back.

My toes were very cold, but double sock with insulating layer probably did just enough to keep then at just blocks of ice.
I, well to be precise, Mr Barclay Card very generously bought me those NorthWave shoes.
I'm so fed up with white borderline blue, freaking painful feet after each ride.
I was surprisingly ok. Icebreaker glove liners and craft gloves - hands were fine.

Toes were very cold, just defeet winter socks and waterproof overshoes.

Bizarrely didn't hurt on the ride but when I stopped by arse was burning - tights too thin and arse too flabby these days!

There was a really surprising lack of ice in the new forest. I nearly didn't bother but I noticed by car windscreen was clear when I got up and thought it was probably not too bad.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
15.7mph average speed as well! That's properly rapid.

I'm about to start working for Deliveroo, so my milage will increase - I'm not sure if I'll track all of my shifts though, my battery probably can't handle that, you rely on the Deliveroo app itself to track orders etc, so it's a drain on the battery enough without tracking milage and whatnot, I need to get a little computer for my bike I reckon. What have you got on yours [MENTION=16720]Indurain's Lungs[/MENTION]?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

I'm about to start working for Deliveroo, so my milage will increase - I'm not sure if I'll track all of my shifts though, my battery probably can't handle that, you rely on the Deliveroo app itself to track orders etc, so it's a drain on the battery enough without tracking milage and whatnot, I need to get a little computer for my bike I reckon. What have you got on yours [MENTION=16720]Indurain's Lungs[/MENTION]?
That's a garmin 810, however it has more features than I need really as I don't use maps/navigation. There are many cheaper options, which quite a few on here have so can recommend.

Garmin are definitely very reliable and easy to sync but depends what you're after really. As you say, using the phone is a massive battery drain.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Recommended hybrid style bikes to look out for please as my main bike faces a repair bill that makes buying a new bike an option and a good second-hand bike (to look for) a better prospect?

It is the dérailleurs that seem to be worn out. Bike is only 20 years old as well. Weighs something like 20 kg. 15 kg would be better. Use cyclepaths 50% of the time, although the roads ar so naff confdition I don't think it makes all that much difference.

Ideally, I would like wide-ranging hub gears as dérailleurs are always a pain.

PS: medium size. I found a good bike but it was too big for me.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
PS: my bike is a bit like Gordon Greer. Always a good runner, but past its sell-by date. It might last out the season, but keeps on needing repairs and does not run like it used to.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Recommended hybrid style bikes to look out for please as my main bike faces a repair bill that makes buying a new bike an option and a good second-hand bike (to look for) a better prospect?

It is the dérailleurs that seem to be worn out. Bike is only 20 years old as well. Weighs something like 20 kg. 15 kg would be better. Use cyclepaths 50% of the time, although the roads ar so naff confdition I don't think it makes all that much difference.

Going to depend on your budget I guess regarding advice. At 20kg, is your bike just a lump of iron? For £350 this Boardman hybrid with disk brakes only comes in at 11kg. At £380 the Triban 520 from Decathlon is just under 10kg.

Derailleurs are a pain if they are poor quality, not regularly cleaned and oiled, and cable serviced every now and again. The beauty of them is a bigger range, and of course a decent one is only £15 or so if you need to replace it. I've had a 7 speed hub gear and it was good, but the range wasn't great, so steeper hills were a challenge. You'd want to spend a decent wedge for a good bike with a good hub gear.

Where abouts are you? Local Bike Shop LBS always worth a look, what was Sid's on Portland Rd has some lovely Genesis Croix de Fer bikes in, but you aren't getting any change out of £900! Get to a couple of bike shops, and try a few out. You might might a road bike / tourer is better as with say a 28mm tyre it will be fine on tracks, paths and roads. Four example, this Raleigh Tourer can probably do almost anything you put it to.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Going to depend on your budget I guess regarding advice. At 20kg, is your bike just a lump of iron? For £350 this Boardman hybrid with disk brakes only comes in at 11kg. At £380 the Triban 520 from Decathlon is just under 10kg.

Derailleurs are a pain if they are poor quality, not regularly cleaned and oiled, and cable serviced every now and again. The beauty of them is a bigger range, and of course a decent one is only £15 or so if you need to replace it. I've had a 7 speed hub gear and it was good, but the range wasn't great, so steeper hills were a challenge. You'd want to spend a decent wedge for a good bike with a good hub gear.

Where abouts are you? Local Bike Shop LBS always worth a look, what was Sid's on Portland Rd has some lovely Genesis Croix de Fer bikes in, but you aren't getting any change out of £900! Get to a couple of bike shops, and try a few out. You might might a road bike / tourer is better as with say a 28mm tyre it will be fine on tracks, paths and roads.

Thanks for the reply. I bought a town bike in Gee-Whizz in Hove which is recommended for secondhand bikes. Got a bike that would do if it was the right size. Current bikes OK for a 12 mile a day runabout: current bike would do that. Top whack £350 for second-hand as good working order as new. Prefer £225.

I will look in the local bike shops. No hurry and I can wait until the end of the season for longer summer trips.

But 20-30 miles I want something better. Current bike has a front mechanical disc brake. It is not as good as the rim brakes. Other bike as disc brake rear which is better.

Downs Link (Guildford to Shoreham) is the test surface. Not very good for road bikes. Bashs up any bike and rider.

If I pay £1000, I would get an ebike.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

A 20 year old 20 kg bike compared to what is currently available is almost like comparing a Nissan Mirca to a Mclaren F1.
Just about everything that's available is considerably better than what you are used to, so it's all down to trying before buying.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/urban/

http://road.cc/category/review-section/bikes/urban-and-hybrid-bikes

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

Try this online site.
http://www.handtec.co.uk/satnav-gps/cycling-gps.html

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Looking at the fantasy league, I see that [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] has passed 100 points. Well done mate, chapeau.
At least [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] has now got a target to aim at.
I've a bloody long season ahead of me, knowing I'll never get any better than day one of race one. :down:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
At least the Hamilton boys have scored some points.

Mr Porte and Mr Thomas on the other hand could have learned a thing or two from them in the first two stages.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Picking riders because they are called 'Hamilton' was perhaps not as well thought out as it might have been.

I also have both Hamiltons. I'm not so sure that's where Hamilton's problem is :lol:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

I've got a Garmin Edge 200 boxed up and unemployed. 18 months of use. Don't need it but don't want to let it go in case the 500 shits itself. I'd be happy to let it go to 'one of us'. Make me an offer if you like.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sorry to dig up a discussion that happened only 6 weeks ago (which I was part of!).....but front lights, suitable for illuminating a pitch black country lane, or off road darkness...

What were the recommendations? [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], what did you end up getting? Any good?

I was looking at the Cree SolarStorm for only £15 but not sure a) battery life, and b) battery pack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here