Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Garry Nelson - why does he seem to have been forgotten?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Fond memories of watching Des Lynam reading out the results at 5 o'clock on Grandstand that season, when you just knew we couldn't lose.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I went to the second last game of the season at Chester on Easter Monday. Went two nil up with a brace from Wendy (including a diving header no less- will have messed his hair up!) and then we f***ed it up conceding two to draw. Looked like we had blown it. Dublin was injured falling into the terracing and I think was sent off later on. Then remember the team (someone remind me who) who were competing for the last promotion place, play at home on the Tuesday night lose 2-1. Meant we just had to win our last game v Bristol Rovers. They'd been on a great unbeaten run. We went two nil up, Bremner and Gatting I think. Rovers then pulled one back towards the end and cue a very nervous last ten minutes. Gatting was a class above that season. He had no pace whatsoever but positional play and poise was fantastic.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Nelson scored the second that day against Bristol Rovers. One of my favourite Nelse memories was the 3rd goal against Palace in a 3 - 1 won at home, in front of the North Stand. A simple header but we went ballistic. Back then of course Palace never won at the Goldstone.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
I went to the second last game of the season at Chester on Easter Monday. Went two nil up with a brace from Wendy (including a diving header no less- will have messed his hair up!) and then we f***ed it up conceding two to draw. Looked like we had blown it. Dublin was injured falling into the terracing and I think was sent off later on. Then remember the team (someone remind me who) who were competing for the last promotion place, play at home on the Tuesday night lose 2-1. Meant we just had to win our last game v Bristol Rovers. They'd been on a great unbeaten run. We went two nil up, Bremner and Gatting I think. Rovers then pulled one back towards the end and cue a very nervous last ten minutes. Gatting was a class above that season. He had no pace whatsoever but positional play and poise was fantastic.
Notts County lost at home that evening after Chester as I remember it. Had they won they would have been in pole position going into the final match

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I'm really enjoying the reminiscing about the 1987/88 season. So many great moments. I remember Paul Wood scoring a diving header, I think it was against Walsall at home. John Keeley was absolutely incredible all season. Didn't a Bristol Rovers player trip coming out of the tunnel and go tumbling onto the ground in that last game of the season?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Notts County lost at home that evening after Chester as I remember it. Had they won they would have been in pole position going into the final match
Correct. I remember the mood on the way back from Chester was very sombre - until someone found out that Notts County had f*cked it up at home. Cue scenes of joy for the rest of the coach journey.

I remember going away to Bristol City that season, I think it was Boxing Day. We had been on a long unbeaten run and were 5th. 16,058 in the ground (a HUGE gate for a third division game by the standards of the time). We were 3-0 down at half time, pulled it back to 3-2 before they won 5-2 with two late goals. The home game threatened to be the same in reverse, with us 3-0 up and winning 3-2.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
I remember going away to Bristol City that season, I think it was Boxing Day. We had been on a long unbeaten run and were 5th. 16,058 in the ground (a HUGE gate for a third division game by the standards of the time). We were 3-0 down at half time, pulled it back to 3-2 before they won 5-2 with two late goals. The home game threatened to be the same in reverse, with us 3-0 up and winning 3-2.

Was at both Bristol City games.
The defeat on Dec 28th ended our 18 match unbeaten run. Dreadful at half time but a Nelson goal and a Paul Wood curler gave us hope....

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Drove the mini bus to Chester and then on to Notts County to see them lose at home to Port Vale, very funny with the police not knowing whether to segregate us from Port Vlae fans. Were about 100 Albion fans there. A great day all round.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Loved his 'left foot' book, but the movie adaptation wasn't great. Daniel Day-Lewis just didn't work, imo.

Last edited:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Correct. I remember the mood on the way back from Chester was very sombre - until someone found out that Notts County had f*cked it up at home. Cue scenes of joy for the rest of the coach journey.

I seem to recall a streaker ?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Oooh good memory, yes indeed. The opposite corner of the ground to where we were.

Yeah that's it ! We had half the big open terrace behind the goal, hard to recall how many Brighton fans there, I went up by train, walked from Temple Meads to the ground, seemed to take forever, lots of Brighton fans got lift back to station in police vans for their own safety !

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yeah that's it ! We had half the big open terrace behind the goal, hard to recall how many Brighton fans there, I went up by train, walked from Temple Meads to the ground, seemed to take forever, lots of Brighton fans got lift back to station in police vans for their own safety !
I think I took the coach.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
DSC09162.JPG

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
A few photos from the Rovers game, including the promotion goal...

PDC19.jpg

PDC21.jpg

PDC23.jpg

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
This was the team apparently, not so shoddy for Div 3:-
1. John Keeley
2. Gary Chivers
3. Keith Dublin
4. Alan Curbishley
5. Robert Isaac
6. Steve Gatting
7. Garry Nelson
8. Adrian Owers
9. Kevin Bremner
10. Dean Wilkins
11. Steve Penney

That team could do a job in the Championship now. Dare I say it, better than the current lot??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here