Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Interesting you should zero in one thing, which is factually wrong, when the rest of the report is pretty damning of GTR and the DfT. In short, Gibb is criticising the concept of not working overtime. Additionally, he didn't speak to any staff, passengers nor trade union officials in compiling his report - only the train operating company, Network Rail and the DfT. Make of that what you will.

Nice try, but you've missed by a long, long way.

I make of it that 'The Primary Cause of the System Breakdown in 2016' was the RMT and ASLEF.

Yoda

English & European
I make of it that 'The Primary Cause of the System Breakdown in 2016' was the RMT and ASLEF.

Even though the system was breaking down WAY before any action from the unions? I remember having constant issues getting to Hove from Worthing for Jury Service early last Spring before any action from the unions started. Always ended up leaving to catch a train before the one that I would normally need to get there on time.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Well the primary cause was the decision by the Dft and GTR to save a few pennies by moving to a less safe, less accessible method of working with the ultimate aim of removing as many members of staff as possible. The unions obviously fought against that - it wasn't as though the unions suddenly decided they fancied a fight which would cost themselves and their members huge amounts of money and ruin life for the travelling public. As we have seen recently, if you try to do things on the cheap - the consequences may go further than you think.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Well the primary cause was the decision by the Dft and GTR to save a few pennies by moving to a less safe, less accessible method of working with the ultimate aim of removing as many members of staff as possible. The unions obviously fought against that - it wasn't as though the unions suddenly decided they fancied a fight which would cost themselves and their members huge amounts of money and ruin life for the travelling public.

You might think that, but the Gibb report doesn't say that though, does it?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
It is about as indisputable and factual as Labour won the General Election and Jeremy Corbyn is the real Prime Minister.

Eh? So, if GTR and the Dft hadn't embarked on the extension of DOO do you still think the unions would have fought against something that wasn't happening?

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Please excuse my confusion, but I thought the Gibb Report was what the ABC et al was trying to get in the public eye. Now it is, it's being rejected (or at least the conclusions) as a biased load of old bollocks.

Is that correct?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This is spite now. DOO has been operating safely for months now, the battle is over. Bloody nerve to start this ransom holding again. More months of misery no doubt. Utter wankers. Looking at the "information" on line it promises utter chaos and more expensive and longer journeys for the forseeable. I hope they are down the foodbank by July. Rail staff should be ashamed of themselves, I hope it costs them dearly.

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Please excuse my confusion, but I thought the Gibb Report was what the ABC et al was trying to get in the public eye. Now it is, it's being rejected (or at least the conclusions) as a biased load of old bollocks.

Is that correct?

yeah, but no but, it's flawed, and biased, and probably a Tory conspiracy... or something like that.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I was talking to a mate of mine the other night (ex RAF Nimrod pilot, currently flies the new Boeing 737).

He told me it is now absolutely possible to fly a plane to and from wherever on auto pilot with much less chance of any safety issues arising and this includes take off & landing.

Given the lower level of technology needed to address railways this I wonder what the RMT et al. will do when completely automated trains (i.e driverless) are introduced in the future? ???

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I was talking to a mate of mine the other night (ex RAF Nimrod pilot, currently flies the new Boeing 737).

He told me it is now absolutely possible to fly a plane to and from wherever on auto pilot with much less chance of any safety issues arising and this includes take off & landing.

Given the lower level of technology needed to address railways this I wonder what the RMT et al. will do when completely automated trains (i.e driverless) are introduced in the future? ???

Hopefully they will realise they were greedy sods and the 60k+ offer on a 35 hr working week was the best they were going to get, far more than they were worth and that is was the last offer they got before being sent packing.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing

Will they have automatic wheelchair loading devices?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

British Airways PayScale
AFF3C927-59CE-43CA-8ECF-3603F72E9015.jpg

Southern Rail PayScale
DD88866C-50BD-4116-9FB0-E261D8428F6E.jpg
Prior to the £75000 deal.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Hopefully they will realise they were greedy sods and the 60k+ offer on a 35 hr working week was the best they were going to get, far more than they were worth and that is was the last offer they got before being sent packing.

His thoughts were that currently people won't accept unmanned aircraft and that the pilot would be there for the 1 in million (e.g. Sully Bird Strike & ditching on the Hudson River) incident an autopilot couldn't cope with. Mind you it was his Job we were talking about and he doesn't want to retire anytime soon!

I'm not sure that this scenario would apply for Southern Rail Billingshurst to London Bridge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here