Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Bands who are deemed 'not cool'

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I loved Party Fears Two. I bought the single even though my record player was at my mum's. I used to carry it with me and play it at friends places. I was also obsessed with Joy Division even though my flat mate at the time described them as 'Music to slash your wrists to' .... I was a bit of a shoe gazing art student back then

I still love them both and play their stuff on vinyl. Got the Party Fears Two 12". I first heard it on TV at the time - The Associates appeared on a trendy BBC2 music programme called Riverside from London.

Joy Division were great. Uplifting if you love the music, depressing if you couldn't stand that sort of thing. At the time I found the haters were normally greasy types that loved heavy metal, and hated all things Punk or New Wave or electronic.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I still love them both and play their stuff on vinyl. Got the Party Fears Two 12". I first heard it on TV at the time - The Associates appeared on a trendy BBC2 music programme called Riverside from London.

Joy Division were great. Uplifting if you love the music, depressing if you couldn't stand that sort of thing. At the time I found the haters were normally greasy types that loved heavy metal, and hated all things Punk or New Wave or electronic.

I seem to remember Mike Dempsey from the Cure playing bass for a while with The Associates

I still find JD uplifting. My flat mate was a bit of a 'grown-up' , a social worker in Brighton, think she had to deal with copy cat suicides after Ian Curtis (and she knew Van Morrison)

Last edited:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
I knew it, I bloody well knew it .......

IMG_0164.JPG

Looking cool too :lolol:

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Sailor were not remotely cool, but they had some fantastic musicians in their line up and created a sound unlike anything I've ever heard before. They were great in concert and their lyrics were invariably very clever. All a little one dimensional though.
The marmalade were not cool, but they were fabulous musicians.If you don't believe me, check out 'Reflections of my life'. It's timeless.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Gilbert O'Sullivan for me, I stood my ground and survived I was never quite sure if people thought I was being serious or not, but I was ....

Using wikipedia as my source I think these snippets establish Gilbert O'Sullivan's cool credentials:

"His songs at the time were avant-garde, and even drew the interest of the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band (Viv Stanshall), who were interested in recording a couple of the songs".

"O'Sullivan is also noted for his role in bringing about the practice of clearing samples in hip hop music as a result of the 1991 court case, Grand Upright Music, Ltd. v. Warner Bros. Records, Inc., in which he sued rapper Biz Markie over the rights to use a sample of his song "Alone Again (Naturally)"."

"He appeared at the 2008 Glastonbury Festival".

So to sum up he was avant-garde, his music was sampled by hip hop artists and he played at Glastonbury.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Using wikipedia as my source I think these snippets establish Gilbert O'Sullivan's cool credentials:

"His songs at the time were avant-garde, and even drew the interest of the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band (Viv Stanshall), who were interested in recording a couple of the songs".

"O'Sullivan is also noted for his role in bringing about the practice of clearing samples in hip hop music as a result of the 1991 court case, Grand Upright Music, Ltd. v. Warner Bros. Records, Inc., in which he sued rapper Biz Markie over the rights to use a sample of his song "Alone Again (Naturally)"."

"He appeared at the 2008 Glastonbury Festival".

So to sum up he was avant-garde, his music was sampled by hip hop artists and he played at Glastonbury.

Doesn't suing Biz Markie over a sample make him totally uncool?

Also, Jay Z sampled the musical Annie. It doesn't make Annie cool.

Rolf Harris has played Glastonbury.

"Avant garde" has been a term used to describe many completely shit and uncool artists such as Babylon Zoo and The 1975.

To "sum up", Gilbert O'Sullivan isn't cool.

[emoji6]

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Kula Shaker.

First saw them at the Army and Navy pub in Chelmsford, loved them. Critics did not generally. Bit like Shed 7, weren't considered very cool...

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Doesn't suing Biz Markie over a sample make him totally uncool?

Also, Jay Z sampled the musical Annie. It doesn't make Annie cool.

Rolf Harris has played Glastonbury.

"Avant garde" has been a term used to describe many completely shit and uncool artists such as Babylon Zoo and The 1975.

To "sum up", Gilbert O'Sullivan isn't cool.

[emoji6]

Equally you could argue that Jay-z is a bit of a tw@t, and that many in the business would regard him as such, and not cool at all. By comparison Jurassic 5 or Chuck D are the epitome of cool. And I say that as someone who owns a few Jay-z albums.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Maybe in your parallel universe. In the real world, Springsteen is totally cool.

To Springsteen fans maybe. Don't get me wrong, he's an incredible, inspirational man and a phenomenal talent, but cool? Just watch the Dancing in the Dark video for starters.
:thumbsup:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With lyrics like, "Even a slight remark makes nonsense and turns to.....err....shark" it is definitely very cool......or perhaps not.....

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
To Springsteen fans maybe. Don't get me wrong, he's an incredible, inspirational man and a phenomenal talent, but cool? Just watch the Dancing in the Dark video for starters.
:thumbsup:

American Skin (41 shots) about the police shooting of Amadou Diallo. which builds upon classic such as CSN&Y Ohio and a political song (well done ) pushes the artist into cool/

The whole of The Rising album which was the first musical response to 9/11

As for naff videos, I would raise you Dancing in the Street by David Bowie and Mick Jagger, but does this make Bowie uncool

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here