Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Freeview as an alternative to Virgin / Sky. Advice please.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
My dad recently moved to Bexhill but he can't get Quest (his favourite) and a few other channels on freeview anymore due to the weakness in the local transmitter. Anyone recommend the best way to make him happy?

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
My Virgin charges were initially £45 per month four years ago, and now they’re nudging £80.

We watch very little ‘regular’ TV, but do have Netflix. Our internet usage is no more than browsing the web, watching Youtube vids or BBC iPlayer, and downloading a bit of music every so often. Surely, I don’t need Virgin anymore?

I assume that all I need is an internet provider like Talk Talk or PlusNet, and a Freeview box? Anyone got any advice, tips or recommendations please?

Thanks in advance – I can’t access NSC at work anymore *sad face* so will check back later.

Suggest you take the smallest package from Virgin plus Sky Sports 1 & 2 This works out at £55 per month

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am considering Now TV as the price for the occasional use of Sky Sports seems very good as I wouldnt use it all the time. Do I just need a Now TV Box ? Assume this can be bought on line.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
NowTV all the way. I sometimes buy the odd day buy have just splashed out on a month.

Had one of the original SKY NowTV boxes but have now got the faster one from Roki direct.

Those dodgy Kodi boxes will start disappearing now the courts are starting to crack down.

If only BT sport allowed you pay per day :)

I've got Sky in the living room but most my TV is in the kitchen via the Roku.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Thanks for the NOW TV endorsement - that's definitely a part of my future TV approach

NowTV all the way. I sometimes buy the odd day buy have just splashed out on a month.

Had one of the original SKY NowTV boxes but have now got the faster one from Roku direct.

OK, so discovered that... a Roku box allows you to watch paid and free content from the Internet such as Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu Plus, YouTube, and much more, on your TV. Most of the programming is pre-recorded, not streaming in real time, so it's not a substitute for traditional cable TV, where you can surf live channels. The Roku 3's excellent new interface and faster processor makes it feel quicker and more responsive than any other streaming box. More than 750 channels are supported, including Netflix, Amazon Instant, HBO Go, Hulu Plus, Pandora, MLB.TV, Amazon Cloud Player, and Vudu.

Is this something you have instead of a Firestick/Roku stick etc?

Would I need a separate device to record stuff off the TV?

Thanks

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Thanks for the NOW TV endorsement - that's definitely a part of my future TV approach

OK, so discovered that... a Roku box allows you to watch paid and free content from the Internet such as Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu Plus, YouTube, and much more, on your TV. Most of the programming is pre-recorded, not streaming in real time, so it's not a substitute for traditional cable TV, where you can surf live channels. The Roku 3's excellent new interface and faster processor makes it feel quicker and more responsive than any other streaming box. More than 750 channels are supported, including Netflix, Amazon Instant, HBO Go, Hulu Plus, Pandora, MLB.TV, Amazon Cloud Player, and Vudu.

Is this something you have instead of a Firestick/Roku stick etc?

Would I need a separate device to record stuff off the TV?

Thanks
Well I rarely record anything. The box has iplayer and the ITV, C4 and C5 versions. So I don't need a recorder.

Roku stick is a slightly less vamped version than mine. I happened to have networked up the place and my box plus straight into the network

That Roku stick is very good value. I have the Roku 3.

You can load Amazon Prime on too.

The subsidised NowTV box is made by Roku but a bit locked down.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Had one of the original SKY NowTV boxes but have now got the faster one from Roki direct.

Those dodgy Kodi boxes will start disappearing now the courts are starting to crack down.

If only BT sport allowed you pay per day :)

I've got Sky in the living room but most my TV is in the kitchen via the Roku.

Are you saying dont buy a box but buy a Roki stick instead

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Are you saying dont buy a box but buy a Roki stick instead
Buy either they are almost identical. The stick is very good value for money.

I bought the box because I wanted it for the kitchen and I have a network point.

The middle of my place has something put in by the Victorians that doesn't allow wireless through :)

So I networked the place up. I do have a powerful wireless access point now in the kitchen.

But if the wireless is good go for the stick it's very good value for money.

I presume it is the same as the boz in terms of channels.

The Sky NowTV box (sold by Sky) is a Roku box, they invested in the company. It's a Roku 2 I think, but locked down. You couldn't load Netflix for example.

I had an original one, but bought a Roku (from Roku) recently because it has all the Sky features and more... like the stick.

I have

1) NowTV. 6.99 a day when Albion are on.
2) Iplayer
3) ITV hub
4) Channel 4 catch-up
5) Five version.. never used it.
6) Netflix.. no need for it
7) Amazon Prime.. I have Prime anyway.
8) Sky Store

It's more than I ever need. If I didn't have a fast network point and only wireless I would get the stick. They are ridiculously cheap.

Check whether you can load Amazon.

I also have freeview HD in the telly.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I can no longer get the Light Programme on my wireless receiver, my wife is currently clinging to the chimney pot trying to point a coat hanger at the Pole Star, should she turn around and point it towards the Southern Cross instead?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I bought a chromecast but my daughter uin law couldnt find a USB point on the TV to connect it to Would we have the same problem with Roku Stick or does it plug into the laptop for transmission via HDMI cable to the TV.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I bought a chromecast but my daughter uin law couldnt find a USB point on the TV to connect it to Would we have the same problem with Roku Stick or does it plug into the laptop for transmission via HDMI cable to the TV.
Connects with HDMI.

I suspect the stick is a bit slower than the boxes. But it's all relative.. I have a firestick from Amazon. It's a bit sluggish compared to my Roku 3.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What I love about Iplayer on the Roku (and phones) is the start from the beginning feature. I'm still in that hybrid world when I want to watch a programme after its started. Can't remember last when I recorded anything.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
This thread has been quite helpful so thanks. Realised I dont need a landline with virgin broadband so will be canning that next week for starters.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Thanks clapham_gull - that it is really helpful

Mrs B insists on having some kind of hard disc recorder so I need to figure that out but I think I'll get something very similar to your set up

Does anyone have any good ISP recommendations? I'm with Virgin at the moment who give me 100 mb (or close to it) and they're reliable. is it just a choice between Sky, Virgin or BT or are there any reliable other providers?

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
OK, I currently have Sky, which I intend to get rid of my subscription for. I will go with freesat. I also intend to buy a new TV, spending around £750.

Am I better off

a) getting a new TV with inbuilt freesat tuner

b) twinning new TV with set top freesat box

c) using my existing sky box to get freesat from sky

Or does it really make very little difference? I'll be using Roku for everything beyond the freesat channels.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
OK, I currently have Sky, which I intend to get rid of my subscription for. I will go with freesat. I also intend to buy a new TV, spending around £750.

Am I better off

a) getting a new TV with inbuilt freesat tuner

b) twinning new TV with set top freesat box

c) using my existing sky box to get freesat from sky

Or does it really make very little difference? I'll be using Roku for everything beyond the freesat channels.

If you want to retain the functions a sky box offers (record, pause, rewind) then option b

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here