Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Of course it has,is and will be.. they already have us over a barrel.

So why not fight for your interests, despite all the bollocks, rather than be dictated to like Switzerland and Norway are. Rule makers not rule takers...great Britain not little England etc etc

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No Goverment figures as long as you believe they do not lie about the nations accounts,

Same figures used here by the Telegraph

you should read your source, the author is attempting to question the government numbers. he uses various numbers that no one else does as spending, to portray a different picture and advance his agenda there is a magic pot of money (he is also behind the "£120bn in tax evasion" which considers a large proportion from untaxed black economy).

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Clearly as your graph shows,defence/military is hardly bulk.

I made it about fourth no correction fifth highest no sixth :), still way above EU expenditure and will rose if Trident gets sign off, especially with the Government and Opposition parties both wanting this (these are 2014 figures, I am not sure 2015 accounts have been done yet).

Attachments

• 2014.jpg
    2014.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 91

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Yes with the rebate we pay in just over 12 billion a year, the government are looking at 16 billion cuts this year, but the government spends over 775 billion a year, the bulk on Military, Welfare, Education and Pensions.

Our economy is much bigger than the 12 billion a year that goes into the EU and its very simplistic to say take from one to pay off another. We gain a lot in benefits and sharing within this, i.e both our Universities are involved in research programmes that can create money that goes into both our local, national and Europeon economies.

So its possible to argue one pays off another, however some cuts are political and some EU money will get wasted but real people lives are affected both ways. Its actually a very small amount and it has a lot of caveats, you could argue both for positive (development) and negative (cost), but we didn't get where we are today by sitting back and not being involved with all the nations and community around us.

It's possible to argue anything. But the fact remains we are net contributors to the EU and our membership fee would have more than covered the supposed savings made through austerity in the last parliament.

Being involved with all nations and the community around us can be achieved without it costing the UK tax payer £53 Billion.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
So why not fight for your interests, despite all the bollocks, rather than be dictated to like Switzerland and Norway are. Rule makers not rule takers...great Britain not little England etc etc

" rather than be dictated to like Switzerland and Norway are"........... ?????? really?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Because my primary reason for leave is immigration....i don't care for race (my longest and best friend of nearly 30 years is Iranian) it's the numbers sheer numbers..I jokingly include anything North of Watford too..

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Because that figure isn't necessarily reliant on EU membership.

Seems reliant on access to the single market to me. Which is put at risk if we leave. I wonder, has Leave decided on the Gove model - we don't need the single market - or is there another model in vogue? Is the Albania model still popular?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

And breathe.

You honestly must work in public relations. Either that or as a government propagandist.

Sent from the boot of Lingard

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
" rather than be dictated to like Switzerland and Norway are"........... ?????? really?

They have to swallow all the regulation we do to trade with the EU, but have no voice in shaping it. They also pay the EU for the privilege.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

And breathe.

You honestly must work in public relations. Either that or as a government propagandist.

I like [MENTION=25549]5ways[/MENTION] - have said it before,relentless :lolol:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Seems reliant on access to the single market to me. Which is put at risk if we leave. I wonder, has Leave decided on the Gove model - we don't need the single market - or is there another model in vogue? Is the Albania model still popular?

'Seems' isn't a factual or recognised term when accessing the specific supposed economic benefit of EU membership. Whereas the £53 Billion we paid in membership fees last parliament is.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
They have to swallow all the regulation we do to trade with the EU, but have no voice in shaping it. They also pay the EU for the privilege.

Seems like an opportunity,we Norway and Swiss could form an new EU with us as the new major players..

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
you should read your source, the author is attempting to question the government numbers. he uses various numbers that no one else does as spending, to portray a different picture and advance his agenda there is a magic pot of money (he is also behind the "£120bn in tax evasion" which considers a large proportion from untaxed black economy).

They are government figures, different sources may present them in different ways, but the point being Governments spend a lot of money and borrow a lot of money, as the song goes money makes the world go round.

We spend 750 million a year give or take - about 12 billion goes into the EU, this then goes to many places and does a variety of things, in my view it aint a lot in the overall picture as you quote 1.1 percent. The amount of shared research the Galileo satellite program as one such example, will introduce life changing technology and enhance most peoples life, its Europe that has achieved this with us included and partnered by new Chinese technology. You could quote these projects all day most will benefit some like any investment will be dead rubbers. I am aware of them as they will make our systems better than the current USA military one we pay for and introduce the power to have driverless cars.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34217255

5ways

Sep 18, 2012

And breathe.

*rests thumb in crease of index finger of clenched first and stabs fist forward when making a Very Important Point. Points with the nail of the thumb rather than a finger to demonstrate strength and control without negative connotations of directly pointing*

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
All the time. Remainers = economy, economy, trade worries. No voice in European decisions.
Inners = immigration, their only argument apparently
Meanwhile the real issue is bubbling underneath. Self control. self determination.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
It's possible to argue anything. But the fact remains we are net contributors to the EU and our membership fee would have more than covered the supposed savings made through austerity in the last parliament.

Being involved with all nations and the community around us can be achieved without it costing the UK tax payer £53 Billion.

But as mentioned this money isn't just burnt in a KLF style disco, they are combined and 1000's of projects are created involving British companies as well as other european companies. The benefits are vast and way more than any one nation in Europe can achieve.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here