Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A few snippets I heard today

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Not at the mix, just passing on what I was told today. It is second hand but came from a source identified with the club.

1. Apparently Poyet was badly treated by the club over his eventual sacking.
2. When the club thought Poyet was leaving for Reading, they approached Barry Lloyd to take temporary charge, he declined due to ill health.
3. Upson was offered a deal by the club to stay but it was 'derisory'.
4. PIG wanted to stay, but was not offered any type of deal.

I wont reveal my source, so don't ask. I'm not sure I believe it all, just putting it out there.

1) Disappointed that his remarkable talent hadn't been rewarded with an offer of employment from one of the leading clubs in England, Poyet did the next best thing and entered into covert discussions with Reading, to find out what they were prepared to offer him. Armed with this package, he then returned to BHA and attempted to hold the board to ransom and secure a pay rise. Reading got wind of his tactics and pulled out of any further negotiations. ( Source....Reading FC Director ) Poyet's sulk continued into the play-offs, compromised his professionalism and cost us all dear.
2) Absolutely no idea if this is true. It seems unlikely but nothing should surprise us in football.
3) BHA or Leicester ( in the PL and earning considerably more ) No brainer.
4) TK had a reputation at Man Utd of dropping clangers under pressure. Here, he was the better of three goalies prone to regular error but pimping yourself in the press when your club is at a critical stage of the season has a familiar and unsavoury feel to it. Clearly a high earner but getting past his best. Time to offload.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Thank God Poyet stayed then, the club really would have put him in temporary charge ? As I recall ours was the only manager/coaching job he had in pro football and that ended in 1994/5 ? Truly frightening

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
1) Disappointed that his remarkable talent hadn't been rewarded with an offer of employment from one of the leading clubs in England, Poyet did the next best thing and entered into covert discussions with Reading, to find out what they were prepared to offer him. Armed with this package, he then returned to BHA and attempted to hold the board to ransom and secure a pay rise. Reading got wind of his tactics and pulled out of any further negotiations. ( Source....Reading FC Director ) Poyet's sulk continued into the play-offs, compromised his professionalism and cost us all dear.
2) Absolutely no idea if this is true. It seems unlikely but nothing should surprise us in football.
4) TK had a reputation at Man Utd of dropping clangers under pressure. Here, he was the better of three goalies prone to regular error but pimping yourself in the press when your club is at a critical stage of the season has a familiar and unsavoury feel to it. Clearly a high earner but getting past his best. Time to offload.

Good post. 😃

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Good post.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I heard (and so did many other people) that Koosh stormed out when put on the bench for a game toward the end of the season. This was subsequently viewed as being just a rumour (perhaps) but goes to show that hearing things doesn't necessarily equate to fact. I'm still sure that the Barry Lloyd story is absolute tosh though - there are always better options than BL out of work at any given time and Bloom is no fool.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So Barry Lloyd was too ill therefore Bloom gave up.

So, so unlikely.

Tony would have got someone else if his strategy was to bring Lloyd in, and Lloyd couldn't do it !

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The rumour I here'd was Tiltman was making a comeback !

Richard Tiltman....now there was a centre-forward!
I think he only got one goal and it was away and I missed it. Didn't miss the home game when he was through one on one with the keeper three times and failed to trouble the announcer three times!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Richard Tiltman....now there was a centre-forward!
I think he only got one goal and it was away and I missed it. Didn't miss the home game when he was through one on one with the keeper three times and failed to trouble the announcer three times!

Yes, I remember that game. Those were the worst series of misses I've ever seen. Barry Lloyd assured the fans when he signed Tiltman, that he was a better player than Dean Saunders. [emoji33]

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I heard (and so did many other people) that Koosh stormed out when put on the bench for a game toward the end of the season. This was subsequently viewed as being just a rumour (perhaps) but goes to show that hearing things doesn't necessarily equate to fact. I'm still sure that the Barry Lloyd story is absolute tosh though - there are always better options than BL out of work at any given time and Bloom is no fool.[

Couldn't TB have turned to Mullery?

Goldstone76

Jun 13, 2013
The OP's list is a bit like digging up multiple corpses and encouraging another set of post mortems.. its dull and boring ..

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Can I also say: good post. Particularly like the snippet from the Reading director.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Not at the mix, just passing on what I was told today. It is second hand but came from a source identified with the club.

2. When the club thought Poyet was leaving for Reading, they approached Barry Lloyd to take temporary charge, he declined due to ill health.

I wont reveal my source, so don't ask. I'm not sure I believe it all, just putting it out there.

All these would directly involve Paul Barber. 2 smacks of panic/ cronieism. to lose 2 managers in quick succession from a club thats on the up does look a bit dodgy.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

No.1 doesn't stack up, sorry. Despite the onus in employment law being on the employer to prove their case AND show that they complied with statutory processes every step of the way, Poyet and his legal team were unable to claim victory. Almost always, sacked managers gain full compensation paying up their contract in full, even if takes time. But not in this case, suggesting the Albion's board acted properly and fairly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here