Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Depends, I suppose, if it's a level playing field. If everyone is on the stuff then the gaps might not be so big!

Ha, true enough when you put it that way.

Predictions for tomorrow?

Obviously it's hard to look past Quintana, but below him it really could be anyone's guess.
Uran knows what he's doing on TT's so should in theory hang onto his second place on GC, assuming that Pozzo is still not fully recovered from his bronchitis and doesn't go ballistic on the steep bits.
Most interesting of all I think could be a three way battle between Majka, Aru & Rolland.
I wonder if the last two have put too much into it so far and maybe pay for that tomorrow. Both looking good though whilst at times Majka has appeared to almost be just hanging on. All things being equal though (I heard Majka has a bug) I think Majka is the best TT'er out of the three.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So assuming things really are as clean as they've ever been, does this mean the gaps are likely to be smaller tomorrow than they usually would on this kind of MTT?
I reckon in theory it should be more predictable, I think the gaps will be GC orientated.

You're not to win a Grand Tour without being able to TT, esp a MTT
Therefore Quintana & Uran will be up for it, they would have done the winter work.
Ryder has TT form.

There has to be a question mark over Rolland, I have no idea about Astana fella.

The gaps could be pretty big, but not unsurprising which is the key for me.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I reckon in theory it should be more predictable, I think the gaps will be GC orientated.

You're not to win a Grand Tour without being able to TT, esp a MTT
Therefore Quintana & Uran will be up for it, they would have done the winter work.
Ryder has TT form.

There has to be a question mark over Rolland, I have no idea about Astana fella.

The gaps could be pretty big, but not unsurprising which is the key for me.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure Ryder does have TT form as it goes. I think that's a myth that has sprung up because of the way he hung on to take the Giro win from Purito that time. Granted, he didn't lose much time to De Gendt (who is a decent TT'er) but it was never going to be hard putting serious time into Purito on a flat TT.

I agree on Rolland - big question mark. Usually you'd bet on him losing time, but he's surprised everyone here so far with superb form and real determination.

Aru I think may be being over hyped (not that I'm arguing he hasn't been amazing in this race). I think tomorrow might catch him out. But I could just as easily be left with egg on my face with that one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Most interesting of all I think could be a three way battle between Majka, Aru & Rolland.
I wonder if the last two have put too much into it so far and maybe pay for that tomorrow. Both looking good though whilst at times Majka has appeared to almost be just hanging on. All things being equal though (I heard Majka has a bug) I think Majka is the best TT'er out of the three.
As said I don't think that's a 3 way battle.
That's 6 into 1.

Majka is the only one to definitely benefit from his team at the very pointy end of the race.
Rolland can't seem to make anything stick, and I think is going to get shown up.
Aru I have no idea.
Pozzo ought to make some time.
Ryder It's a shame he lost seconds today, but I bet he's still quietly confident of a podium.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ryder was always the 5 TT'er in Garmin behind Millar, Wiggins, Pate, Zubriskie (sp), which is pretty illustrious company.
He might not be able to go toe to toe with the likes of Froome Contador et al, but I'm sure he can still pick these fellas off.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As said I don't think that's a 3 way battle.
That's 6 into 1.

Majka is the only one to definitely benefit from his team at the very pointy end of the race.
Rolland can't seem to make anything stick, and I think is going to get shown up.
Aru I have no idea.
Pozzo ought to make some time.
Ryder It's a shame he lost seconds today, but I bet he's still quietly confident of a podium.

That's a bold statement! Granted, he doesn't lack confidence and belief, but I think he'll be one of the biggest losers tomorrow. Only way he makes podium is with shit or bust heroics on the Zoncolan stage I reckon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some ew value to be had today, for that third place.

Ryder and Cataldo @ 40/1, even Poels @ 80/1 caught my eye.

The GIF dude

Mar 22, 2013
Sidwell
Can anyone here recommend the Garmin Edge 200? Not got LOADS to spend but just want something with a more reliable gps than my iphone, that shows my current speed and time, and is easy to use.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Can anyone here recommend the Garmin Edge 200? Not got LOADS to spend but just want something with a more reliable gps than my iphone, that shows my current speed and time, and is easy to use.

I'll handle this.
[MENTION=27252]The GIF dude[/MENTION], buy one. Shows current and average speed plus time you've been out. Not sure about the actual time though as its so easy to use, I've not bothered working out what else it can do.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Apparently we're the stud muffins of NSC:-

If the cute guy who just asked you out spends his weekends on a bike, don’t hesitate to say yes.

Here are 15 reasons to date a cyclist:

1. Two words: bicycle shorts.

2. It’s science: Cyclists are hot. A recent study found that cyclists who excelled in the Tour de France are perceived as more attractive than other athletes — and that the top 10 percent of cyclists “is about 25 percent more attractive than the lowest 10 percent.” Maybe fast is the new rich?

3. Cyclists are smart. According to a recent Mindlab survey, most people view cyclists as 13 percent more intelligent than the average person.

4. Cyclists are good. According to the same survey, cyclists are generally viewed as 10 percent more charitable than non-cyclists.

5. Your date will be around for a while. Pro cyclists live, on average, 6.3 more years than non-cyclists. (Um, as long as they don’t get hit by a car.)

6. Cyclists are handy. After years of honing bike-maintenance skills, your date will be up for fixing things around the house, too.

7. The great outdoors. If you’re sick of dating indoor cats, date a cyclist. You’ll get reacquainted with nature. And maybe even travel a little more.

8. Cyclists are committed — and don’t accept defeat. Hopefully this extends to their pursuit of relationship success, too.

9. No lazy bums here, just toned ones. Cyclists are disciplined, often rigorously so, and will withstand the elements to get their rides in.

10. Cyclists are constantly setting goals for themselves. If you want a forward-thinking date, look no further.

11. Cyclists have great near-death-experience stories to share, which is also why they’re also sticklers about safety.

12. You can start cycling, too! Your date will be thrilled to share his/her enthusiasm for the sport. In fact, the whole family can join in, should the two of you eventually procreate.

13. Cyclists don’t call in sick. According to a 2013 survey by the National Cycle Network, cyclists take half the number of sick days as their public transportation-riding colleagues.

14. Think your date’s obsession with the open road is a little over-the-top? He’s saner than you think. Studies have shown that vigorous exercise like cycling can boost concentration and memory while reducing stress and anxiety. The bike is good for his brain.

15. Love the planet? Cycling is as green as it gets.

T'is a shame only 13 and half of 11 apply to me.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Some ew value to be had today, for that third place.

Ryder and Cataldo @ 40/1, even Poels @ 80/1 caught my eye.

I'm going nowhere near a punt again today. I can't find any value anyway, personally.

If I was pushed I'd go for Cataldo over Ryder from that lot, but I don't think either will do anything here.

Poels might go for it as OPQS might still have interest in the team competition, if AG2R don't already have it sown up? In which case you could possibly make a case for Brambilla as well, but I expect both will be saving energy for tomorrows work. Sneak inside the Top Ten is the best these two could hope for today I reckon.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Apparently we're the stud muffins of NSC:-

If the cute guy who just asked you out spends his weekends on a bike, don’t hesitate to say yes.

Here are 15 reasons to date a cyclist:

1. Two words: bicycle shorts.

2. It’s science: Cyclists are hot. A recent study found that cyclists who excelled in the Tour de France are perceived as more attractive than other athletes — and that the top 10 percent of cyclists “is about 25 percent more attractive than the lowest 10 percent.” Maybe fast is the new rich?

3. Cyclists are smart. According to a recent Mindlab survey, most people view cyclists as 13 percent more intelligent than the average person.

4. Cyclists are good. According to the same survey, cyclists are generally viewed as 10 percent more charitable than non-cyclists.

5. Your date will be around for a while. Pro cyclists live, on average, 6.3 more years than non-cyclists. (Um, as long as they don’t get hit by a car.)

6. Cyclists are handy. After years of honing bike-maintenance skills, your date will be up for fixing things around the house, too.

7. The great outdoors. If you’re sick of dating indoor cats, date a cyclist. You’ll get reacquainted with nature. And maybe even travel a little more.

8. Cyclists are committed — and don’t accept defeat. Hopefully this extends to their pursuit of relationship success, too.

9. No lazy bums here, just toned ones. Cyclists are disciplined, often rigorously so, and will withstand the elements to get their rides in.

10. Cyclists are constantly setting goals for themselves. If you want a forward-thinking date, look no further.

11. Cyclists have great near-death-experience stories to share, which is also why they’re also sticklers about safety.

12. You can start cycling, too! Your date will be thrilled to share his/her enthusiasm for the sport. In fact, the whole family can join in, should the two of you eventually procreate.

13. Cyclists don’t call in sick. According to a 2013 survey by the National Cycle Network, cyclists take half the number of sick days as their public transportation-riding colleagues.

14. Think your date’s obsession with the open road is a little over-the-top? He’s saner than you think. Studies have shown that vigorous exercise like cycling can boost concentration and memory while reducing stress and anxiety. The bike is good for his brain.

15. Love the planet? Cycling is as green as it gets.

T'is a shame only 13 and half of 11 apply to me.

Along with that Telegraph article you put up the other day. Who exactly writes this bollox?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Along with that Telegraph article you put up the other day. Who exactly writes this bollox?
Those particular pieces of bollox pop up on twitter. (I'm not selling it to you, am I)
This one came from Peloton Magazine via e-harmony.

The GIF dude

Mar 22, 2013
Sidwell
I'll handle this.
[MENTION=27252]The GIF dude[/MENTION], buy one. Shows current and average speed plus time you've been out. Not sure about the actual time though as its so easy to use, I've not bothered working out what else it can do.

Well that settles it. Yeah I meant time you've been out so perfect. Thanks, how do you upload it to strava as well?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I've had better week offs. Weather scuppered bonus rides. £450 on the motor. £230 on plumbing. Not even a day out to Brighton due to son being ill. Done some shed painting and abut to do some more.

But this morning found a little training loop. Incorporates a wee climb I normally reach after 40 miles, so nice to give it a go a bit fresher. 5.75 miles of quiet country lanes. Might just devote some time to it. Top stretch has been resurfaced so a bit loose at the mo. Found a mini steep bit, but stayed upright this time. That is not part of the loop unless I convert to a figure of 8.

A bit too much fun on some lovely downward curves. Always gonna happen the amount of bike racing I watch.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Following on from SB's post, here are some quality moves -

14:47:15 CEST Jos Van Emden has stopped during his time trial, and has asked his girlfriend to marry him. She's said yes, of course, so congratulations to the pair of them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Following on from SB's post, here are some quality moves -

14:47:15 CEST Jos Van Emden has stopped during his time trial, and has asked his girlfriend to marry him. She's said yes, of course, so congratulations to the pair of them.
Lucky she didn't think about it, he could have got kicked off the race for being behind the time limit.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I bought one recently - recommend. easy to use, reliable, long battery life.

Could you make some cycling gifs, please? :wink:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
What the hell does Quintana have on his feet? Are those calf high pink overshoes with white zips up the back? They certainly are a statement!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here