Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If it’s your Achilles’ tendon you should be very careful. I doubt it has snapped because you would know it and wouldn’t be on NSC (!), however it could be a warning. Follow knockys advice and don’t try any stretching of the calf or Achilles until the problem is properly diagnosed. Hopefully just a slight strain

This, in spades. Anything achilles related needs to be treated with great caution. Give it a couple of days of RICE (and no activity), if still sore go and get it looked at by a pro.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Bit of a weird one for me. I’m not injured but I have been ill this week and have a story to add. I’m now signed up for two marathons in the next seven weeks so there is no time to rest, so I did 18km on Tuesday and 26km this afternoon to kickstart a big mileage week. The result? I fainted in M&S at Holmbush tonight. I hit the floor and was out of it for a minute or two. Luckily the staff were really good and I was back in the car about 20 minutes later and on the way home. But it is a bit of a blow. I think being sick all week has drained my body of everything it needs and, in hindsight, a long run today was a poor choice. The good news is I had pizza and ice cream for dinner (a meal I’d never normally consider) to restore some sugars and I feel much better now.

What has [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] unleashed upon the NSC Runners? :ohmy::ohmy:

Remember I'm a quack but my mate had this when training for the Ironman. Collapsed in his kitchen. GP said all was fine and he carried on with training. I've had dizziness, linked to training, when standing up too quickly that goes after 5 or so seconds. Last had it week ago after 8 days of heavy training.
Did you suddenly lift up from a lower shelf as it happened? Take it easy for a few days and eat and hydrate. Stand upright slowly. Any recurrence GP visit.
DROP 5k PB attempts till after your marathons.
Set some slow pace targets now and again. I ran a flat 18 miles to Saltdean few weeks ago with a mind set that any average pace FASTER than 10" would be a failure. Too slow for you but add 1-1:30 minutes to your marathon race pace.
Injury hits a tired body. That's why I've sat on my arse for 7 days. Gentle plod today though.
So recover through slight reductions in pace and distance and then give it Ninja's beans again.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Holy shit! What can I say? (I knew it was tempting fate.)

One or two of these injuries seem to follow from really some heavy-duty training reminding me of a pattern - when we're OK we overdo it and become not OK. It's just the way we are and what we do. On the dizziness thing I get it a bit too. (Could be blood pressure but probably just bug + overdoing it?) With respect to the Achilles, a snapped one is usually a trip to A&E and being in plaster for 6 weeks. (My brother did this.)

The runners' mentality: did what was for me a very tough hilly 60 minute run yesterday. On my way downhill - the recovery bit - at the end of it I heard footsteps behind me. The old competitive juices started to flow and ended up 'sprinting' down a rough track and home straight to an ice-pack.

Will check dates for the relay and certainly up for being the weakest link in an 'Old Gits Select Team'.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks, I agree. I think the issue is that I've had a bug this week (huge amounts coming out of both ends) but I didn't want to avoid running. I've eaten/drunk as normal, but most of that has been flushed straight through, so I guess I've effectively been running on empty. I'm no doctor, but I think my body just ran out of energy and was quite possibly dehydrated too. The extent of the bug is shown in the fact my weight was 12st 8lb on Tuesday and this morning it was 12st 3lb, so I really shouldn't have been running on the back of that. Anyway, I've learnt the lesson now. Replace what you burn off and if you can't, don't run.

I didn't get up before it happened, I've never had dizziness or anything like that before. I just paid at the checkout at the back of the store, turned round to walk out and within five seconds I was on the floor having sent a display of bras tumbling on my way down!

Even before this, I'd decided I'm not focusing on parkrun for the next couple of months. In fact, I'm not at all bothered by pace over any distance. My only aim is to clock up enough distance that allows me to a) complete Brighton Marathon on 15/04 followed by b) achieve a good time at Edinburgh Marathon on 27/05. Getting faster can wait until the summer.

Like to see the video of the collapse.:lolol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm feeling fine – just lazy and too busy/tired to run (I know, I know!).

All the best to what appears to now be a growing injury bench. I guess it gets it would the way before the marathons are upon us (although it might disrupt a bit of training). Hope you get back out there (but don't overdo it again, [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION])

I'll be having a little trot around Hove Park parkrun tomorrow, if anyone's around?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I wasn't laughing at the time, but me crashed out in the middle of the aisle surrounded by about 20 black bras must have been quite a sight for onlookers:lolol:

Are you sure your’s is the true story and it’s not just that you were caught having a “rummage”. CCTV?

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Was back out running last night, really enjoyed it and felt like a runner again! Only 6.2 miles but the furthest I have run since early November and the hip seems ok - still not 100% but happy enough with it. Hope to go again on Sunday.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We need to get another Bevendean back in the diary so I can join in this time, and pile into the breakfast!

Sorry to hear about your drama [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] and your injury [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]. I'm currently having my first time off from work this year, which is good in that I can be away from the world a bit but bad in that my world generally becomes quite small. I've done a few runs and a few gym sessions, I need to pile into a speed session today, I blew it off yesterday in favour of resting my legs but I can't avoid it today. I'm thinking about doing a parkrun course twice tomorrow in about 19:30 twice.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Thanks everyone for the advice last night. Surprisingly it's not too bad today, I thought it would be much worse, so suggests it's a strain rather than anything else.

Haven't run since last Sunday so keen to get back out, but earliest I'll probably run is Tuesday as long as walking is pain free.
[MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] take it easy and stay away from bra sections for the foreseeable.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I wasn't laughing at the time, but me crashed out in the middle of the aisle surrounded by about 20 black bras must have been quite a sight for onlookers:lolol:

Reminds me of that episode of Father Ted when they get stuck in the lingerie department :lolol:

I hope you injured folks aren't on the sidelines for too long. It's that time of year when people start to ramp up the distance.

8 weeks to go until my marathon. I'll be doing my first 30k run on Sunday. It's a bit of a step up from the 24k runs I've done the last couple of weekends, both of which I did at too high pace and really felt it at the end. I did a set of 6 hill climbs yesterday and I'm not feeling too bad today, which I'm taking as a good sign.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm feeling fine – just lazy and too busy/tired to run (I know, I know!).

All the best to what appears to now be a growing injury bench. I guess it gets it would the way before the marathons are upon us (although it might disrupt a bit of training). Hope you get back out there (but don't overdo it again, [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION])

I'll be having a little trot around Hove Park parkrun tomorrow, if anyone's around?

Consider me a late entry. I'll be there. Boy's football training off due to waterlogged pitch and never made it out today due to b'std work problems so gagging to go. That said it's likely I'll have carb loaded with a bottle of red. 25ish I hope.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Consider me a late entry. I'll be there. Boy's football training off due to waterlogged pitch and never made it out today due to b'std work problems so gagging to go. That said it's likely I'll have carb loaded with a bottle of red. 25ish I hope.

In as well - new shoes so I should be flying!

See you there.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

In as well - new shoes so I should be flying!

See you there.

I may well be joined by a Bobkin Jnr, in which case I'll be towards the back. Although he tends to adopt an intervals approach – especially on the first big lap – so I might we catch up briefly!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I missed my first parkrun of 2018 last week following a plumbing disaster which woke me up at 1am by pouring water through my bedroom ceiling. I am now determined to get back out there tomorrow, my intention is to run a parkrun twice or if I'm up early enough I'll run Hove Park's course, then get over to Preston Park for their actually event.

I'm up to 43 miles for the week so I'll try and fetch 7 tomorrow before 20 on sunday.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Official results not in yet but my watch shows 25.00 dead for Hove Park this morning thanks to great pacing / encouragement from [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] (thanks mate). Also great to catch up with [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]

Don't carb load with wine, kids.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here