Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Thank you Palace

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I’ll never get my head around how our club were stupid enough to let Murray go. Gus got to see him train every day and play every week, and still let him go for the sake of a couple of grand a week. It’s the worst recruitment decision we’ve ever made.

There must be something in the water, because after scoring 30 goals to help get Palace promoted, you too let him go. This leaves me in the weird position of having to thank the club I despise for our success. Thanks to you, Glenn came home and fired us to our best ever season in the Championship, winning us the biggest prize in football. Thanks to you, he’s scoring the goals that sees us (at least for now) in the top half of the PL, and gives us the freedom to enjoy games like last night’s care free.

Given your current predicament I appreciate it can’t be easy for you to be happy for us and the man that once helped you, but I want you to know I will always be grateful, your generosity won’t be forgotten.

Thing is, we don't know the full facts. Another poster pointed out that Murray was after a signing on fee as well as a 'couple of grand a week'. I don't know whether that is true or not, but if so, it might be that TB intervened in the decision.

And his form is erratic; yes, he has been great for us since returning, and yes he was instrumental in promo season but in his first season at Palace (11/12) he scored 6 in 37 appearances and didn't exactly uproot trees in PL with them or Bournemouth. Even his first three seasons for us were good (31 goals in 76 appearances) rather than outstanding.

He has been great for us last season and this. He was great for us in 10/11. He might have been great for us in 11/12, but then again he might not....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thing is, we don't know the full facts. Another poster pointed out that Murray was after a signing on fee as well as a 'couple of grand a week'. I don't know whether that is true or not, but if so, it might be that TB intervened in the decision.
Indeed, which is why I hold our club accountable, not just Gus.

And his form is erratic; yes, he has been great for us since returning, and yes he was instrumental in promo season but in his first season at Palace (11/12) he scored 6 in 37 appearances and didn't exactly uproot trees in PL with them or Bournemouth.
First season at Palace, agreed - he does rely on someone passing it to him. He started in the PL with a cruciate ligament injury though, so I'm not going to hold that against him. He scored 7 in 17 the next season, which is pretty good.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
A really myth seems to have developed that we didn’t keep Murray as he wanted a couple of grand a week more and we fancied CMS.

Truth was Muzza was skint thanks to his ex wife and he needed a signing on fee we weren’t prepared to offer that on a renewal (would have opened the floodgates for all the other players) so he went.
So if you want to blame someone blame Mrs Murray!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard that TB told Poyet he could keep him but Poyet thought he could do better. We are talking six figures not seven or the £3.5m we paid for CMS. That one piece of transfer business was the worst in Brightons history and summed up everything I hated about Poyet.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Agree with you to a point, but CMS was/is a completely different footballer to Glenn Murray. Gus was monumentally wrong for thinking one could replace another. They might have been (probably would have been) brilliant together.

Benteke on the other hand is a direct replacement for GM. Palace have an easier comparison to make. Colin got it even more monumentally wrong for them. Thank for for that.
That's true. It seems Gus did want both of them though, but of course Murray didn't accept our offer

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Pre injury CMS and Murray playing together up front would have been amazing.

Re Palace, Dancing Al has stated that letting Glenn leave was his worst management decision. And that's saying something.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here