Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread 2018

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton and Hove's own The Go! Team release their new album next week

My youngest's favourite band and another one that I now can't see live because I will embarrass him in front of his mates! We've got the coloured picture disc album on order from Resident. Looking forward to hearing it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That is right up my street and once again a new name for me. Let me return the favour with this Swedish songstress and her album from late last year. Very much in a similar vein.

https://sumie.bandcamp.com/album/lost-in-light

Very nice - half Japanese and half Swedish - that's quite a combination.

That JaJaJa site looks like it's got quite a gems on it too. You been to their club night in London?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I wouldn't put it quite that strongly - but I like most of what he's done and always check out his new releases.

Have you ever been to Bluesface*?

*A once a month night at Coopers Cask pub in Hove/Brighton held by Steve Mason ( Beta Band/King Biscuit Time etc ). The most open music policy you can imagine with occasional guest DJs. From around 9pm until 1am on roughly the last Saturday of every month. An alcohol fuelled musical odyssey. EFM- eclectic freedom music-

No longer monthly, more as and when

https://www.facebook.com/groups/729791860415009/about/

As and when .... nights of musical joy

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Very nice - half Japanese and half Swedish - that's quite a combination.

That JaJaJa site looks like it's got quite a gems on it too. You been to their club night in London?

Glad you like it. Sadly I don't go to their music night. I tried to persuade my ex-girlfriend but this wasn't her thing at all and since then I've found trying to get a mate to go along quite difficult!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
No. That first gig of theirs at the Concorde was right up there for me. Seen them a few other times, but never quite reached that peak again.

Funnily enough their next Brighton show which was due to be at The Haunt is now at the Concorde. Much better venue.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Funnily enough their next Brighton show which was due to be at The Haunt is now at the Concorde. Much better venue.

Great. Bloody great. I don't mind missing out on Haunt gigs because I'm not keen on the venue but that Go! Team gig at The Concorde on the back of the first album is one of my all-time favourites. I now can't go to watch them play at the Concorde because my son can't have his mates seeing me dad dancing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brighton and Hove's own The Go! Team release their new album next week

View attachment 92822
SEMICIRCLE

That’s brought a sunny smile to my face after the gloominess of yesterday. As an aside hearing this tune has made realise what a distinct sound they have.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That’s brought a sunny smile to my face after the gloominess of yesterday. As an aside hearing this tune has made realise what a distinct sound they have.

They've really gone for the trumpets in a big way. You're right, I'm not sure there's any band quite like them. I think the nearest I can compare them to, and this is completely wide of the mark, is Malcolm McLaren around the Double Dutch era, if only for making loud brash music that makes people smile.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My first album review of the year.

Sufis - After Hours.

They've been away for a few years working as producers for other bands but they're back and not lost the knack for infectious 60s-tinged 3 minute pop. In fact, only 2 of the 11 tracks on this album come in at over 3 minutes; the rest are around the 2min 30sec mark. They've toned it down a bit from previous albums; they've lost that carefree Monkees kind of vibe and it's now got more of a Beck feel to things or even Elliott Smith in his happier moments. They've also toned the guitars down and brought a synth/organ sound to the fore which makes things sound heavier. I like this album but that's as far as it goes because there's no real killer track although the title track is solid enough.

You can stream it here:

https://www.allmusic.com/blog/post/album-premiere-sufis-after-hours

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've managed to blag an advance copy of Shopping's new album and it's bloody brilliant. If funky post-punk/new wave is your thing then you'll love this album. They employ the same technique as Baxter Dury in making sure the drums and bass guitar lead the attack in a very dark and infectious way. Lead vocals for this London band are shared between both sexes and it certainly keeps the album moving at a cracking pace. There's plenty of political invective on show, they're not afraid to wear their views on their sleeves but the important thing is that it doesn't detract but enhances the album. Especially when there's the female lead vocal it's almost got a ska revival feel to it. Check out the track 'Control Yourself' to see what I'm getting at.

I've listened to the album 3 times already tonight and am probably going to listen lots more before the end of the week.Highly recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnAm6AphanY

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
They've really gone for the trumpets in a big way. You're right, I'm not sure there's any band quite like them. I think the nearest I can compare them to, and this is completely wide of the mark, is Malcolm McLaren around the Double Dutch era, if only for making loud brash music that makes people smile.

I've been listening to the new album tonight and I'll add another description. They also remind me of Sesame Street but I mean that in a very good way. They have a lovely New York 1980 feel to them.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The new Go! Team album is a big thumbs up from me. It's as fresh, brash and as unpretentiously fun as their first album. If you've ever heard the Hot 8 Brass Band cover of Sexual Healing then you'll definitely get the vibe for this album. Are Go! Team connected to them because the Hot 8 lot are all Brighton based (I think)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-vhkdvJ1ms

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been listening to the new album tonight and I'll add another description. They also remind me of Sesame Street but I mean that in a very good way. They have a lovely New York 1980 feel to them.

Not heard the new album but I get this. For me it’s Sesame Street, 70s cop tv theme tunes, that woozy hazy summer NYC block party Jurassic 5 track name of which escapes me.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Just whizzing through First Aid Kit's 'Ruins' - the NME review brought a smile.

Really nice album, if you like that sort of thing.

nme.JPG

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
It would have been the late great Frankie Knuckles' birthday today and so a chance to post this remix of 'Your Love' from Stanton Warriors up here. In the words of Stanton Warriors, Frankie Knuckles never got the dues owed him from the record company for this tune so they've made it a free download.

https://soundcloud.com/stantonwarriors/your-love-stanton-warriors-tribute-mix

Talking of vinyl, still got my version of the classic on this quality Chicago House LP R-37068-1317047922.jpeg.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here