Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eating Out in Brighton

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Must also include Curry Leaf Cafe, which gives Chilli Pickle a good run for its money in what is, for me, a much nicer atmosphere,

Nice beers as well

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Just into Hove, but Archipelago's is really good for Greek food. There's a set menu where you can have 3 courses for under £15, but alternatively there's Meze options and also quite a number of Greek dishes you can choose from.

It's always quite busy, but I find it quite cosy and the staff there are very welcoming.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I left Brighton long before the recent surge in British gastronomy. My memories of decent food around the town are that they were few and far between - I remember a restaurant (Prinnys?) in Steine Street which I think is now Il Duomo, and the Copper Kettle in Kemp Town that tried to do French inspired food and there was a Sri Lankan curry house somewhere up Western Road way that offered a decent curry.
I was younger of course and my budget was limited and mostly used to buy beer so I probably missed a lot.
In recent years though, visiting for football, I've really struggled to find that the City's dining "offer" has improved.
Chilli Pickle is an improvement on what used to be but what else am I missing out on?

Living in the Midlands now I am well served with quality dining experiences from basic street food to Michelin starred restaurants. The contrast to Brighton is stark and frankly surprising.

Where is the similar sized urban area to Brighton (300,000 population) in the Midlands, which has several Michelin starred restaurants?

Oct 25, 2003
Where is the similar sized urban area to Brighton (300,000 population) in the Midlands, which has several Michelin starred restaurants?

I challenge anyone to find a similar sized urban area anywhere in the UK with better eating than Brighton. I take Newcastle for example (only because I know the city well), similar sized city with a MUCH bigger catchment area and a local population with quite high levels of disposable income. Eating out there isn't a patch on Brighton. It's well served by chain restaurants but there is little in the way of anything particularly interesting and particularly for my wife, who is vegan and struggles to find anything that great, whereas in Brighton there are tonnes of great vegan options

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Don't forget Hove. Etch the new masterchef restaurant in church road and of course ginger pig in Hove st is very good as well. There are plenty of others as well

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Oh noooo, not Burger Brothers again. And please don't tell me that it is a 'gourmet' burger restaurant, because for me, the two words don't go together. A burger is just a burger, end of. Nothing necessarily wrong with a burger, but is it much more than a snack?

Op also requested Street Food.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I challenge anyone to find a similar sized urban area anywhere in the UK with better eating than Brighton. I take Newcastle for example (only because I know the city well), similar sized city with a MUCH bigger catchment area and a local population with quite high levels of disposable income. Eating out there isn't a patch on Brighton. It's well served by chain restaurants but there is little in the way of anything particularly interesting and particularly for my wife, who is vegan and struggles to find anything that great, whereas in Brighton there are tonnes of great vegan options

Agree.

Even more startling because Newcastle's direct urban area has a population of 800,000.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Well certainly Ludlow (and surrounding area). Ludlow itself had 3 but down to one since they all buggered off to London. Couple more not far away though. Kenilworth has one which is my favourite.
I live in Bewdley and there are three Michelin restaurants within 30 minutes drive.
Best food around is in Birmingham for me. Really wide range from cheap as chips upward. Bigger of course but it is where I am :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

There must be a few of similar size which are arguably better. Friends, and numerous food critics, often go on about Edinburgh which also has 4 Michelin starred restaurants. There's certainly a case for Edinburgh being better. Similarly Bristol. These two came to mind immediately; there must be many others.

Oct 25, 2003
There must be a few of similar size which are arguably better. Friends, and numerous food critics, often go on about Edinburgh which also has 4 Michelin starred restaurants. There's certainly a case for Edinburgh being better. Similarly Bristol. These two came to mind immediately; there must be many others.

I wouldn't say either of those are similar size to Brighton & Hove

Edinburgh- 464,990
Bristol- 449, 300
Brighton & Hove- 273, 400

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Pretty much agree with this, although there's been a sea change over the past c5 years. Brighton is now a really exciting place to eat, for a range of food and a variety of price points.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wouldn't say either of those are similar size to Brighton & Hove

Edinburgh- 464,990
Bristol- 449, 300
Brighton & Hove- 273, 400

Depends what you're measuring. Wikipedia says Edinburgh and Brightons urban area populations are 474,000 and 464,000 respectively. Bristol's is 617 so I agree this is bigger. The other two are almost identical.

Well certainly Ludlow (and surrounding area). Ludlow itself had 3 but down to one since they all buggered off to London. Couple more not far away though. Kenilworth has one which is my favourite.
I live in Bewdley and there are three Michelin restaurants within 30 minutes drive.
Best food around is in Birmingham for me. Really wide range from cheap as chips upward. Bigger of course but it is where I am :lolol:

I remember when there were only two eating establishments in Brum considered good enough to get into The Good Food Guide ... The canteen at the College of Food and one Chinese Restaurant. Things have certainly improved since those days.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
I really like il Bistro, on Market Street just round the corner from Donatellos. Never had a bad meal there and has a short but very reasonably priced wine list.

Incidentally, if you ever do find yourself in Edinburgh, I can highly recommend Bijou on Restalrig Road by Leith Links. Bit out of the way but a 25 bus will take you from the City Centre to right outside the door. Small, unprepossessing but the food is excellent.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Depends what you're measuring. Wikipedia says Edinburgh and Brightons urban area populations are 474,000 and 464,000 respectively. Bristol's is 617 so I agree this is bigger. The other two are almost identical.

That 464,000 includes Worthing and other Littlehampton. Are we really saying they're part of the Brighton economic sphere of influence? Do the majority of Worthing and Littlehampton residents who dine out normally hit Brighton and Hove? No.

Edinburgh is a single city with good internal transport links, easy to reach the city centre. Plus it's the capital with many multinationals and big professional firms having large offices there

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That 464,000 includes Worthing and other Littlehampton. Are we really saying they're part of the Brighton economic sphere of influence? Do the majority of Worthing and Littlehampton residents who dine out normally hit Brighton and Hove? No.

Edinburgh is a single city with good internal transport links, easy to reach the city centre. Plus it's the capital with many multinationals and big professional firms having large offices there

Fair enough.

But, my feeling is that when it comes to "small" cities there are numerous in the UK with very excellent dining options.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here