Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Tories hit new LOWS with the Windrush situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
There's an article here from the autumn when she was released from Yarl's Wood. What sort of country locks up a 61 year old woman who's lived here for 50 years?- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41749426

The sort of country that allows a significant and sensitive minority to create no go areas and ghetto's, where the indigenous population fear to tread, under threat of violence and where hate of everything British is preached. The exact opposite of those who have integrated, contributed and respected our way of life.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I do because this is a fair country, people come together and help, we also have a system.

What the **** does any of that mean? This is literally a story about unfairness.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I do because this is a fair country, people come together and help, we also have a system.
What is fair about people losing their jobs over this issue?

BTW, I can't say I'm ashamed over this but it is embarrassing and the government should be held to account for what IS an absolute disgrace.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They are as British as I am and many (like me) have carried rifle and pack and worn the military and civilian uniforms of our country with pride.

as for the assertion "they are as british as i am" of course theyre not , im assuming you were born in this country of 2 british parents , then how on earth can someone born abroad of non british parents be "as british as you"?

As far as not being completely British if you don't have two British parents then I can only say that I find this a pretty horrible concept. My wife's great grandmother was Indian. Does that make here not entirely British? Where do you stop?

i didnt say any of.what youre implying about 2 british parents

Come again? That's precisely what you wrote - that someone not born to 'two British parents' was not 'as British' as somebody who was. :shrug:

There are no 'grades' here. You either are accepted and welcomed as a British citizen, or you are not.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Come again? That's precisely what you wrote - that someone not born to 'two British parents' was not 'as British' as somebody who was. :shrug:

There are no 'grades' here. You either are accepted and welcomed as a British citizen, or you are not.

it isnt "precisely" what i said at all , i was questioning his assertion that they were as british as he was , i disagree.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
it isnt "precisely" what i said at all , i was questioning his assertion that they were as british as he was , i disagree.

You are hard work.

So you are confirming - your opinion is that a British citizen whose parents are both born British, is 'more British' than another British citizen, whose parents are not.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
youre ashamed ? why ? what have you done in relation to this that you feel ashamed.? I too think its a bit of a shit sbow but i cant bear this over the top hand wringing guilt , as for the assertion "they are as british as i am" of course theyre not , im assuming you were born in this country of 2 british parents , then how on earth can someone born abroad of non british parents be "as british as you"?

According to some the Queen is German.
How do you determine what British means with that sort of mental thinking.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
You are hard work.

So you are confirming - your opinion is that a British citizen whose parents are both born British, is 'more British' than another British citizen, whose parents are not.

youre even harder work , i am stating , that someone born abroad to non british parents will never , imo, be "as british as me".

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
According to some the Queen is German.
How do you determine what British means with that sort of mental thinking.

I'm not sure anyone has suggested the Queen is out and out German - her family have a German heritage though, which is correct.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
youre even harder work , i am stating , that someone born abroad to non british parents will never , imo, be "as british as me".

So you are saying that there are levels of being British. I always thought that you were British or not...

As you appear to be an expert on this could you let me know whether someone who has two British parents but is born abroad is more or less British than someone who has one British and one non-British parent but was born in Britain?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm not sure anyone has suggested the Queen is out and out German - her family have a German heritage though, which is correct.

People have said it in jest in the past, but there's a world of difference between saying that and demanding that she produce proof of her right to remain.

Can't believe this debate is still going TBH. I haven't read any of today's posts (except yours!), but I can't believe the preceeding pages are all full of people queuing up to admit that the likes of Thunderbolt were spot-on.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Thanks for confirming.

so, i was an infrequent visitor to the goldstone , i went to withdean about twice , never went to gillingham , but ive been a season ticket holder for 5 years , by your logic im just as much a brighton fan as you right ?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
So you are saying that there are levels of being British. I always thought that you were British or not...

As you appear to be an expert on this could you let me know whether someone who has two British parents but is born abroad is more or less British than someone who has one British and one non-British parent but was born in Britain?

in a word , no.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
so, i was an infrequent visitor to the goldstone , i went to withdean about twice , never went to gillingham , but ive been a season ticket holder for 5 years , by your logic im just as much a brighton fan as you right ?

I'm not convinced that the logic translates at all. In fact that is a rather silly analogy to draw.

Being a fan of a football team is a status anyone can choose to confer on themselves - be they a TV watcher in Rawalpindi, or a fervent 40-year STH with the club crest tattooed on their backside. Obviously one could be universally accepted as a 'bigger' fan than the other.

Citizenship doesn't work like that at all. If two people have been granted British citizenship, then both 100% ARE British. If you want to talk about heritage, lineage, ancestry - those are statements of fact and nobody could argue with you.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I'm not convinced that the logic translates at all. In fact that is a rather silly analogy to draw.

Being a fan of a football team is a status anyone can choose to confer on themselves - be they a TV watcher in Rawalpindi, or a fervent 40-year STH with the club crest tattooed on their backside. Obviously one could be universally accepted as a 'bigger' fan than the other.

Citizenship doesn't work like that at all. If two people have been granted British citizenship, then both 100% ARE British. If you want to talk about heritage, lineage, ancestry - those are statements of fact and nobody could argue with you.

Unless you have dual citizenship where you are half British and half somewhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here