Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Decent review about us from a Bristol City Fan

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/172506-just-back-from-the-game/

That was one crazy game of football. There seems to be a lot of differing views of how the game panned out and what we deserved from it. Here is my take:

Brighton started extremely well, playing a high pressing 4-4-2 with our midfield three being dominated by their two which ultimately resulted in Brighton having a lot of joy down both flanks. From the off it was like an onslaught on our goal and only poor finishing from them kept the game scoreless. Flint was being given a torrid time by Baldock's pace and trickery and Brighton didn't allow our creative players any time on the ball. Freeman was being closed down so quickly when he got it.

They missed a free header, had a few shots wide, smashed one straight at Fielding after we p!ssed around with it at the back and Ayling cleared off the line superbly well.

And then we scored! It was at the other end of the ground but looked like a fantastic volley from Williams. I don't think anyone could believe we had taken the lead. As the half went on we managed to get a little bit more on the ball. Freeman found a tiny bit more space and Bennett was looking quite threatening down the right. Kodjia got more into the game and looked bright every time he got the ball.

We went in at half time not knowing how we were winning.

The second half started in much the same vein and they equalised quite quickly. Flint was still struggling and it looked like his fault for the goal (Again it was at the other end).

But then they sat back a bit, maybe they tired from the constant pressing, I'm not sure. And we started to create chances ourselves. Kodjia smashed one into the bottom corner but was marginally offside. We then should have had a penalty. Stonewall penalty for me. If Freeman doesnt get tripped then he has a free shot at goal from 10 yards out so I don't believe he dived.

Then Kodjia missed the clean through and Wilbraham missed a free header from 10 yards. Both of them should have scored. If either of them goes in then maybe we win the game. Then they go straight up the other end and Zamora scores.

After that we result to long ball after long ball and don't really create anything.

I have heard that Cotterill said we deserved to win. I have briefly read a couple of people on here say we deserved the win. I would say a point at the very most. I don't see how you can create 4 good chances and say we deserved to win when they created 8 or 9. It is true that 90% of their good play came in the first hour but even after that they had a couple of chances.

For me, the Brighton display up until 60 minutes was the best I have seen a team play against us for a few years now.

Just want to finish up by saying that I love this team. I love their spirit and how they throw themselves in front of crosses and shots. I left the ground feeling very proud and hoping that their ability and spirit will be enough in the end.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Interesting. Ta for posting that. I did not notice the name but Ayling was good again tonight wasn't he ? Last seen for Yeovil.

Freeman was good as well, their best stuff came through him.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Mmmm, that Kodjia is some player.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I'd say that they were probably the best side I've seen at the amex this season and in Kodjia they have the best striker I've seen for some time. Their system was interesting as well.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I'd say that they were probably the best side I've seen at the amex this season and in Kodjia they have the best striker I've seen for some time. Their system was interesting as well.

I'd agree with that 100%.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I'd agree with that 100%.

I've said that too on another thread. All this 'we got tougher games to come' the Championship is not always like that, we might not play many tougher teams than that at home this season.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I've said that too on another thread. All this 'we got tougher games to come' the Championship is not always like that, we might not play many tougher teams than that at home this season.

EVERY game in the championship is hard, the fact that all 8 wins we have is by the odd goal shows this. The championship is the most competitive league in the country, any team can beat any other team on any said day.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Bristol City will in my opinion end up comfortably mid table.

We had 4 terrific chances first half and should have taken 3 of them.
Going a goal down against any side in this division is bloody tough, and the game became a bit too open 2nd half as we pushed for the win.

Id rather see us go for it though than sit and settle for a point, draws get you no where in this league.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Interesting. Ta for posting that. I did not notice the name but Ayling was good again tonight wasn't he ? Last seen for Yeovil.

Freeman was good as well, their best stuff came through him.

Ayling was the prat sub at Yeovil giving it all the homophobic gestures whilst warming up on the touchline, if anyone remembers ?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Although we created plenty of chances, the performance wasnt a patch on the 1-1 home draw with Cardiff whenwe were excellent.

Thats football for you, it was a patchy performance by us last night, delighted to have come away with 3 points when against Cardiff we didnt.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
City were always in the game for the whole 90 minutes they looked a possible threat. I can't see that about any of the other visitors*. Defence was slow though.

*Perhaps Sevilla in the friendly? (They are playing Mank City tonight!)

Quiz question: what other top tier club apart from Mank City (three times) have we scored four goals against?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

As with [MENTION=350]Zebedee[/MENTION], I'd agree with that, the last two points more than the first.
Kodija was the best striker I've seen at the Amex since Vetokele, who was awesome at the start of last season, but seems to have disappeared since.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Bristol City will in my opinion end up comfortably mid table.

We had 4 terrific chances first half and should have taken 3 of them.
Going a goal down against any side in this division is bloody tough, and the game became a bit too open 2nd half as we pushed for the win.

Id rather see us go for it though than sit and settle for a point, draws get you no where in this league.

I'd go along with this too, especially the bit about winning/drawing.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sorry to disagree but I thought they were very poor and one dimensional and will struggle all season, whether they avoid relegation remains to be seen.

Is this a wind up fella ? Bristol City were easily the best team we have seen at the Amex this season and Luke Freeman looks one of the best midfielders in the Championship. They kept us on our toes all night right up until the final whistle, should have had a penalty and could have scored 5. I doubt we will get many tougher games all season and they will end up mid table if not top half

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here