Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 11th jan : sky saying CH is giving a press conference at 14:00 today

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Out of interest does anyone know who does attend these? Do all national daily rags send someone? AP? Any blogs? I genuinely don't know.

I still reckon that NSC should be sending someone to generate the scoops to give Bozza some more of them delicious clicks.

I get the invite every week but:

a) I don't really have the time.
b) Almost every single thread started on NSC gets more page views than I would get by writing up a pre-match press conference that is also covered, in detail, by various other good folk already. If I can't produce anything significantly different to people already doing it, there seems little point bothering.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Although I'll add that [MENTION=7142]Vatican Citys No.2 Keeper[/MENTION] used to go on behalf of NSC and I'm reliably informed it well and truly ruffled feathers as another prominent local website was getting stuff written up and published quickly.

Upset the status quo somewhat I believe.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bog standard post-training pre-match conference. I'll save you the bother of tuning in.

West Brom on Saturday then Chris. How do you see that going?
"We're expecting a very tough game. West Brom are a strong, well organised side and Alan will certainly have them playing to their strengths. We'll go there confident of getting something out of the game, but we know its going to be very, very difficult for us".

You've unfortunately lost Izzy Brown this week Chris. Any news on bringing in a replacement ?
"No we've not made any offers for anyone at this stage, but if the right player becomes available, someone who we think can strengthen our group then of course we'll certainly consider all options. As always, its very very difficult to bring in the right type of player at this time of year, but I'm extremely happy with our current squad of players."

But you've been left a little short on forward players, surely that's going to be addressed this month ?
"You deaf or something ? Listen sunshine, I've literally just answered your question. Play your little tape back 30 seconds and listen again - there's your answer. Now if you've got some new questions then fire away pal, otherwise stop wasting my time and get the f*ck out of my press conference. And you can take that prick Naylor with you before he starts an' all".

Thanks Chris.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Almost every single thread started on NSC gets more page views than I would get by writing up a pre-match press conference that is also covered, in detail, by various other good folk already. If I can't bring anything different to people, there seems little point bothering.

But, but , but you could start incoherent threads in absolutely dreadful English announcing how Hughton nodded at you personally, perhaps inferring that he'd know you by sight. You could also clearly state that he answers all of your very worthwhile questions.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Out of interest does anyone know who does attend these? Do all national daily rags send someone? AP? Any blogs? I genuinely don't know.

I still reckon that NSC should be sending someone to generate the scoops to give Bozza some more of them delicious clicks.

Usually it's Andy Naylor, Steve Bailey of the BH Independent, Johnny Cantor for Radio Sussex, one or two locally-based freelancers who send stuff to the nationals, PA (Press Association), Sky and Premier League productions. If it's a big game or on a Sunday (or if they're interviewing a player), a few people from the nationals might wander down, but not today, I'm sure.

Managers must get really pissed off with both pre and post match press conferences. I do and rarely bother to watch, especially pre match. Same questions, pretty much the same answers. Do we really think a manager is going to say yes, my plan to beat Brighton is to leave a couple of defenders at the back with the other 8 players bombing forwards and filling their boots?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Bog standard post-training pre-match conference. I'll save you the bother of tuning in.

West Brom on Saturday then Chris. How do you see that going?
"We're expecting a very tough game. West Brom are a strong, well organised side and Alan will certainly have them playing to their strengths. We'll go there confident of getting something out of the game, but we know its going to be very, very difficult for us".

You've unfortunately lost Izzy Brown this week Chris. Any news on bringing in a replacement ?
"No we've not made any offers for anyone at this stage, but if the right player becomes available, someone who we think can strengthen our group then of course we'll certainly consider all options. As always, its very very difficult to bring in the right type of player at this time of year, but I'm extremely happy with our current squad of players."

But you've been left a little short on forward players, surely that's going to be addressed this month ?
"You deaf or something ? Listen sunshine, I've literally just answered your question. Play your little tape back 30 seconds and listen again - there's your answer. Now if you've got some new questions then fire away pal, otherwise stop wasting my time and get the f*ck out of my press conference. And you can take that prick Naylor with you before he starts an' all".

Thanks Chris.

You've obviously been a few times, then ...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012

Its pretty bland stuff. Chris is too much of an operator to give much away. Injury updates, transfer denials, mood of the "camp", kind words about his upcoming opponents. He might get a question about the Rooney rule or ROI job this week if anyone wants a leftfield story.
The whole 15 mins or so thing is
a) published in full on Seagulls TV an hour or so later
b) extracts appear on Sky and BT in the various prem league preview shows / "news" channels
c) Radio sussex run extracts from it in their Saturday pre match show.
ANaylor and Johnny Cantor normally live tweet it. A few other national journos attend from that London sometimes.
The Argus normally get about 3-4 stories out of it which they run over the next few days.

Occasionally they put up a player as well for a chat (eg: Kayal did a turn in the equivalent pre Palace match press conference)

Signings are never announced at em.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You've obviously been a few times, then ...

Feels like it.

A Hughton press conference is about as enthralling as a trip to B&Q for some rawl plugs. But he's not unique in that, pretty much ANY interview with a manager or footballer is a yawnfest. Same tired old clichés and platitudes, nothing too opinionated or controversial, stay on the old media-training scripted answers. I find its like when you ask the wife how her day was - you hear the first couple of sentences, but then just kind of...tune out.

The only moderately interesting press conferences of late have been the Conte/Mourinho ones as they do nothing but slag each other off. So refreshing !

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Feels like it.

A Hughton press conference is about as enthralling as a trip to B&Q for some rawl plugs.

tbf I always find it pretty interesting, CH is always worth listening to, and there's some genuine newslines sometimes (injuries mostly) but agreed fiery/controversial it is not.

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
Its pretty bland stuff. Chris is too much of an operator to give much away. Injury updates, transfer denials, mood of the "camp", kind words about his upcoming opponents. He might get a question about the Rooney rule or ROI job this week if anyone wants a leftfield story.
The whole 15 mins or so thing is
a) published in full on Seagulls TV an hour or so later
b) extracts appear on Sky and BT in the various prem league preview shows / "news" channels
c) Radio sussex run extracts from it in their Saturday pre match show.
ANaylor and Johnny Cantor normally live tweet it. A few other national journos attend from that London sometimes.
The Argus normally get about 3-4 stories out of it which they run over the next few days.

Occasionally they put up a player as well for a chat (eg: Kayal did a turn in the equivalent pre Palace match press conference)

Signings are never announced at em.

d) Timmy Hodges writes some incomprehensible and badly punctuated shit about it just to let us know that he was there and try and give the impression that he's important.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
tbf I always find it pretty interesting, CH is always worth listening to, and there's some genuine newslines sometimes (injuries mostly) but agreed fiery/controversial it is not.

He plays his cards so close to his chest, and is so consciously inoffensive, I just find his interviews soporific. They're not bad traits to have, and I'm certainly not saying I'd want him grizzling and Warnocking all the time. But for any hack, getting a decent quote out of CH must be like trying to crack open a closed pistachio - bloody hard work, and ultimately not really worth all the effort.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
He plays his cards so close to his chest, and is so consciously inoffensive.

Agreed. it would be hard for anyone to generate excitement about a bottom of the table clash away to West Brom ! Good luck with that.
that said Chris , when he talks about issues like racism in British football, coaching and tactics is one of the most thoughtful, insightful and articulate managers in the game.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

I think Poyet and his big mouth have given us enough credit in the bank for a few years yet on that score.

CH is always clear & concise in his delivery talking about the Albion and football in general.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He plays his cards so close to his chest, and is so consciously inoffensive, I just find his interviews soporific. They're not bad traits to have, and I'm certainly not saying I'd want him grizzling and Warnocking all the time. But for any hack, getting a decent quote out of CH must be like trying to crack open a closed pistachio - bloody hard work, and ultimately not really worth all the effort.

You just feel one of these days all the frustration and rage he's bottled up over the last decade could be unleashed in a 20-second tirade, and any deviation from the party line is a collector's item. If 'Arry called you a cvnt you'd laugh it off but if Hughton called you a cvnt you'd need 6 months of therapy to get over it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here