Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Upcoming PS4 purchase- reccomended games?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Battlefront 2 should be a decent game.

I would avoid COD personally and pick up BF1.

Sonic Mania if you like retro games you can get this on the PS store, easily one of my favoruite games I have played in a long time.

Have you got any BF1 tips? I’m a total newbie to the game (but used to play COD a lot when younger),yet I can’t get to grips with it at all. None of the guns feel balanced and I don’t seem to be making any headway in going up classes (or not that I can tell...)

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Have you got any BF1 tips? I’m a total newbie to the game (but used to play COD a lot when younger),yet I can’t get to grips with it at all. None of the guns feel balanced and I don’t seem to be making any headway in going up classes (or not that I can tell...)

Are you on the PS4? I got myself into the top 3% in the World at one point. So I can talk you though it.

First if you are coming from CoD pick a game mode like Domination, smaller maps and get used to what guns and each class can do.

Once you have your class you need to pick the right gun. I can run through the all but my personal favourites are.

BAR 1918 Storm - Support Class
Autimtico - Assualt Class
SMLE - Scout
Medic - They are all similar

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Are you on the PS4? I got myself into the top 3% in the World at one point. So I can talk you though it.

First if you are coming from CoD pick a game mode like Domination, smaller maps and get used to what guns and each class can do.

Once you have your class you need to pick the right gun. I can run through the all but my personal favourites are.

BAR 1918 Storm - Support Class
Autimtico - Assualt Class
SMLE - Scout
Medic - They are all similar

Xbox One. Well played though -that’s some going!

I definitely don’t feel like the starting guns are that responsive and it doesn’t seem that easy to get new guns... maybe I’m missing something though?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Xbox One. Well played though -that’s some going!

I definitely don’t feel like the starting guns are that responsive and it doesn’t seem that easy to get new guns... maybe I’m missing something though?

Id say most of the starting guns are fine. I struggled with the Lewis Gun but the rest are fine.

Work towards war bonds and going through the levels of your prefered class. I always start as medic on games, gives me chance to re-heal and stay alive a little longer. Use each gun to its strenghs too. I always prefer a mid to close range weapon the Bar or Masden for the support class are perfect for this.

Ozymandias86

Jun 24, 2011
Kanazawa
Most of my recommendations would be weird stuff that hardly anyone else likes (The Last Guardian, Nier: Automata - basically, the Japanese things PS4 has that Xbox doesn't). It sounds like you're interested in things with wider appeal though, in which case you really, really must check out Rocket League.

Nier: Automata is outstanding. Up there with the enjoyment of playing Final Fantasy 7 on the PS1 - probably more enjoyable, given I was a kid then!

I know you say not level-by-level stuff, [MENTION=580]desprateseagull[/MENTION], but The Last of Us is a must play in my view. I'm also a big Uncharted fan, but that's more puzzle/shooter mix (think Indiana Jones as a game).

Destiny 2 is supposed to be decent, but I'm yet to play.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I'm interested in your 'weird stuff' recommendations if poss - I know precious little about it and am dipping my toe in in those moments when I haven't got a baby or toddler to feed/amuse/change/burp/etc

Well, for starters, there's a lot of great stuff in the current "Only on Playstation" sale on PSN. In addition to the The Last Guardian and Nier Automata, I'd suggest taking a look at reviews and trailers of Bloodborne, Nioh, Until Dawn, Gravity Rush 2 (first game's good too), and Journey (all of these games have had retail releases though, and it's possible that some of them might be cheaper on disc -- I gather Amazon tends to drop prices of games that are in PSN sales). In the same sale, but only available on the PSN store, Resogun is still one of the best games on the system even though it was a launch title, Alienation and Super Stardust from the same developer are also great, and Bound is lovely. I'd also strongly recommend Nex Machina from the same developers as Resogun etc., but you might want to wait til it's in a sale.

Rez Infinite is the best version of one of my favourite ever games (especially in VR), but it's not to everyone's tastes -- if the idea of an on-rails shooter (i.e. where you don't control where you're going) seems hideously old-fashioned to you, it might not be for you.

Dying Light is a retail release that a lot of people missed or ignored, but it's superb. It's often heavily discounted, and worth grabbing if you see it cheap.

I tend to just keep an eye on the "Digital" sale, where a load of digital-only games get cut in price every couple of weeks. If something looks interesting to me, I look it up on metacritic and decide whether to buy it based on reviews and trailers. I've ended up with one or two stinkers, but generally I end up with great games that I might have missed otherwise. A few indies to keep an eye out for are Stardew Valley, Inside, The Binding of Isaac, Fez, The Witness, Olli Olli 2, Salt and Sanctuary, Polybius, Axiom Verge, and certainly a load that I've forgotten.

If you don't hate their respective genres, Persona 5 is one of the best Japanese RPGs out there, and Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviours is one of the best 2D shoot-em-ups (along the lines of things like R Type, if you're old enough to remember that). And as you mention you have a toddler, I'd suggest Dragon Quest Builders 2 (or the 1st game if you see it significantly cheaper). The gameplay is very Minecraft-ish, but it has an approachable story to it too. (Edit - I see Tearaway is in the Only on Playstation sale too -- likewise, might be a fun shared experience for you and the kid).

But yeah, I think my earlier advice is the most important thing -- browse the store with metacritic open on your phone, check the reviews and trailers, and be accepting of the fact that once in a while you'll make an error and buy something you don't like (which is why I tend to focus on the discounted sales).

Last edited:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Well, for starters, there's a lot of great stuff in the current "Only on Playstation" sale on PSN. In addition to the The Last Guardian and Nier Automata, I'd suggest taking a look at reviews and trailers of Bloodborne, Nioh, Until Dawn, Gravity Rush 2 (first game's good too), and Journey (all of these games have had retail releases though, and it's possible that some of them might be cheaper on disc -- I gather Amazon tends to drop prices of games that are in PSN sales). In the same sale, but only available on the PSN store, Resogun is still one of the best games on the system even though it was a launch title, Alienation and Super Stardust from the same developer are also great, and Bound is lovely. I'd also strongly recommend Nex Machina from the same developers as Resogun etc., but you might want to wait til it's in a sale.

Rez Infinite is the best version of one of my favourite ever games (especially in VR), but it's not to everyone's tastes -- if the idea of an on-rails shooter (i.e. where you don't control where you're going) seems hideously old-fashioned to you, it might not be for you.

Dying Light is a retail release that a lot of people missed or ignored, but it's superb. It's often heavily discounted, and worth grabbing if you see it cheap.

I tend to just keep an eye on the "Digital" sale, where a load of digital-only games get cut in price every couple of weeks. If something looks interesting to me, I look it up on metacritic and decide whether to buy it based on reviews and trailers. I've ended up with one or two stinkers, but generally I end up with great games that I might have missed otherwise. A few indies to keep an eye out for are Stardew Valley, Inside, The Binding of Isaac, Fez, The Witness, Olli Olli 2, Salt and Sanctuary, Polybius, Axiom Verge, and certainly a load that I've forgotten.

If you don't hate their respective genres, Persona 5 is one of the best Japanese RPGs out there, and Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviours is one of the best 2D shoot-em-ups (along the lines of things like R Type, if you're old enough to remember that). And as you mention you have a toddler, I'd suggest Dragon Quest Builders 2 (or the 1st game if you see it significantly cheaper). The gameplay is very Minecraft-ish, but it has an approachable story to it too. (Edit - I see Tearaway is in the Only on Playstation sale too -- likewise, might be a fun shared experience for you and the kid).

But yeah, I think my earlier advice is the most important thing -- browse the store with metacritic open on your phone, check the reviews and trailers, and be accepting of the fact that once in a while you'll make an error and buy something you don't like (which is why I tend to focus on the discounted sales).

Wow what a post. Really really appreciated thanks, and I'll be sure to delve into these and report back.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

How could you forget infamous second son which was free last month ? I thought it was an excellent game and the graphics brilliant. I don't normally play these types games or Horizon Zero Dawn. Really enjoyed both. Again exclusives for PS4

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
How could you forget infamous second son which was free last month ? I thought it was an excellent game and the graphics brilliant. I don't normally play these types games or Horizon Zero Dawn. Really enjoyed both. Again exclusives for PS4

I didn't forget them, I just thought they were pretty mainstream games that most people would already be aware of (I was trying to highlight things people might not know about). Horizon in particular is probably one of the best games I've ever played.

The same goes for Wipeout Omega Collection, which is an absolute steal at £13 in the current sale, and should be in every PS4 owner's collection.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
The Last Of Us.
Battlefield 1 and/or 4.
Resident Evil 7.
Fallout 4.
Sonic Mania.
Dying Light.
Dark Souls 3.
XCom 2.

I've also enjoyed Cuphead recently, but not sure if that's out on PlayStation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here