Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Hughton nth Longest Serving Manager in the English League

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Manager of the month....or RB with all wins...I'm thinking they will go for CH

History suggests they don't look at games played but more points won. If so, Benitez wins it. To be honest, I am happy with that. Always a bit of a curse.

Couple of options for player of the month. Knockaert, Baldock, Duffy, Dunk and Murray could all be put forward.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Surprised there's 22 ahead of him, damn fine manager, Tony made a great choice.

Very lucky considering Hughton was interviewed for the job when Sami got it, and was still available six months later. Tony was blessed with good fortune on this and didn't really have a choice. Hughton was the only manager available :)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Very lucky considering Hughton was interviewed for the job when Sami got it, and was still available six months later. Tony was blessed with good fortune on this and didn't really have a choice. Hughton was the only manager available :)

He was, according to this offered #2 Prem League roles in between April 2014 - Dec 2014 but interesting to hear he was interviewed at same time as Sami ? Source ?
"I know for a fact he’s been offered Premier League jobs as a No2 with the possibility of stepping up when there’s a new regime but he doesn’t want that.”
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/03/keith-curle-carlisle-rooney-rule

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
He was, according to this offered #2 Prem League roles in between April 2014 - Dec 2014 but interesting to hear he was interviewed at same time as Sami ? Source ?
"I know for a fact he’s been offered Premier League jobs as a No2 with the possibility of stepping up when there’s a new regime but he doesn’t want that.”
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/03/keith-curle-carlisle-rooney-rule

I could be wrong, and I apologise if I am, but I have in my mind that our own [MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] has reported that Hughton was indeed interviewed prior to the Sami appointment. I seem to remember that NAN asked a question in regard to this at Hughton's unveiling.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Interesting to look at those above him who might be vulnerable. Exeter in the relegation zone and Oxford not too far off. And of course Wenger could leave at the end of the season when his contract is up.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's interesting (to me, at least) that the second, third, fourth and fifth placed managers in that list are all in League 2.

Could someone more knowledgeable than me confirm whether these managers have been promoted/relegated with the clubs, or have they stayed in L2 all that time?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I too am surprised by the claim that he was interviewed at the same time as Sami for the Brighton job

The No 2 jobs with the possibility of stepping up is a surprise also. It was well reported however, that Martin Jol invited him to be his No2 at Fulham and he turned it down but that was quite a while ago.

In the interim let's just say he was selective about what job he took on after Norwich but he was not short of offers but they were NOT No2 jobs.

His success at Brighton has shown that he made the right choice to wait for a club which matched his own ambition to be in the Premier League. To date it is turning out to be a very good fit for both club and Manager

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
His success at Brighton has shown that he made the right choice to wait for a club which matched his own ambition to be in the Premier League. To date it is turning out to be a very good fit for both club and Manager
I like Chris, but his choice of friends is very suspect.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Sorry I missed this comment.

To be honest I wouldn't be able to find a source now, I seem to remember reading somewhere that he met with the club. Different circumstance back then I guess, the new manager would have had to work with Burke and maybe Sami came over as a better fit. Chris may have wanted to be more hands on with recruitment and it was only when Burke and Sami left together the job fit was perfect for all concerned. Maybe he even turned the job down because he thought Burke was a bit of a tit.

I would be more surprised if I am wrong and he wasn't invited to meet with the club originally.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It doesn't affect Hughton's position on the list, but Leyton Orient have sacked yet another manager Alberto Cavasin.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet .... he's up to 21st after Allen leaves Barnet

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here