Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] NSC Chess Club

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I've joined the group but can assure you, I will run out of talent sharpish.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well, that's what I thought too. We shall see.

It's a good aggressive game though, a really interesting one

Ha, I'm a whole piece up now; on the other hand, I'm in trouble in the other game. This whizz-bang chess leads to interesting positions

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There is lots of buried ability in our squad. I wake up Saturday morning having lost the 6/8 I am playin* because of that wicked beer stuff. My wife is going to take my iPad away after 8 o’clock Friday night.

This is too bloody important now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've joined the group but can assure you, I will run out of talent sharpish.

Snap. Other than the running out of talent bit. In order to run out, I'd need some in the first place and in that regard I am found wanting.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Going OK v Ajax :wink:

chess.jpg

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
There is lots of buried ability in our squad. I wake up Saturday morning having lost the 6/8 I am playin* because of that wicked beer stuff. My wife is going to take my iPad away after 8 o’clock Friday night.

This is too bloody important now.

I'm actually great late at night. My issues are making stupid moves in the morning when not awake, or at work. That's when I've made the most mistakes.

That said the late night chess playing is probably not doing much for Mrs Giraffe. May need to combine the two at some point.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm actually great late at night. My issues are making stupid moves in the morning when not awake, or at work. That's when I've made the most mistakes.

Same here. I lost my game to the Romanian when I made a stupid move at 7.00 in the morning. And I lost my way in my Ajax game when I tried to play while working. I'm sticking to nights now

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
My team games for NSC, I switch off chat, take notes, and think think think. if I gave as much of a shit in all the other many games I play my rating would be alright now I think. I've had 2 tournies start the last coupla days that I signed up for weeks ago and forgot about

We try to start interclub games NOT on a match day to avoid pissed first moves. You know you have got a problem with Chess or Alcohol when you have to hide/replace the booze or your chess device on a weekend.

Welcome to our newest members! 42 of (mostly) NSC finest now, do ask if you need anything. We stress ALL abilities, games and support for everyone. Prerequisite is that you are a BHAFC fan. NSC members may get some perks (eg if a sub is needed for a match it may be given to an NSC member if there is no other strong reason and there may be NSC tournies).

By the way there are over 50,000 chess bits on Amazon if you need to get someone a present (boards, books, apps, clocks, mugs etc). There's some great presents on there and you get to support NSC i the mean time where we all met

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Might this appeal to those of us who fancy getting reacquainted with tactics? (Open Culture is a stupidly good website, well worth falling down the rabbit hole with them one evening)...

http://www.openculture.com/2017/04/...ains-1000-chess-tactics-in-plain-english.html

Good call, I'll add it to our tactics thread

I'll post on our forum, but our Arsenal game starts Sunday, and Munich next week. Arsenal looks like a fairly well matched game player wise and there will be some subs for this one - it is over subscribed but Arsenal are submitting more players than I expect Bayern to. I'd encourage everyone to sign up to both if they can so we can see who is available. the Arsenal game in particular will be a good one to rotate and give everyone a chance in at least one of the 2 games

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Blitz games tonight and tomorrow, check the forum, 9pm, register from 8. any q's let me know

Closing registration for Arsenal game at 5pm, assume everyone is registered who wants. Kick off tomorrow, new players welcome and will try to acommodate everyone (anyone who cant play tomorrow will be in the Bayern game, therefore we are going to make a few subs for the Arsenal game). Anyone one who wants will be in one/both IF you are registered for both. The fewer spaces v Bayern will be used more so towards stronger boards so we get the strongest match player for player across both games (we have a bit more flexibility vs the Gunners)

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Was hoping to wipe the floor with Ajax, not going to plan YET.

Ajax is a tough cookie, they are a very experienced side. The biggest on paper difference between the averages is across the top boards in their favour, so points as always across all boards is gonna be required

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
We are by the way 15-7 up against Liverpool from a possible 32 points. 2 more points from the remaining 10 will secure victory. 4 of their 7 points came from time outs. I expect this game to last some time still whilst the remaining games are slogged out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here