Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What was your first away game?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Eastbourne United, late 70s
Peter O'Sullivan signed my pencil case.

rrruss

Wandering Seagull
A 5-0 defeat at Grimsby in 1983! It wasn't easy being at school up there after that. My school provided the ballboys that day so we all had free tickets but I had to sit with all my mates in the home end. It was horrible.

Two years later and a Terry Connor hat-trick saw us recover from 2-0 down to win 4-2. That time I was with the visiting supporters and my love for the Albion was cemented that day.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Sheffield United 1 - 2 Brighton
Mayo (OG) - Carpenter, Knight

Annoyingly I had correctly predicted the score and first scorer before the game but declined to put a bet on it at 45/1. Other than that a great day and a great stoppage time win.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Aldershot away. On the coach with a packed lunch. 1-1 draw over Easter. Ward scored for us.

Vivid memory of one lone copper going into their end, which we had taken, and then his helmet being thrown around like a beachball for the rest of the game. Pitch invasion at end. Both crossbars got broken.

All a lot to take in for a young 'un!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Orient in the Coca Cola cup probably around 97/98.

I was about 10/11 and remember there being trouble outside the game after the match, my lasting memory was an Orient fan with blood pooring down his face running past me be chased by a few Brighon fans.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Wolves - Boxing day. About 2003 I guess. Took my brother and ex to their first and only who thought the usual banter 'holding hands' 'get your tits out' to their resident fat topless guy doing :tosser: signs at us was the funniest thing they have seen, anywhere, ever, cant remember the score.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Aldershot away. On the coach with a packed lunch. 1-1 draw over Easter. Ward scored for us.

Vivid memory of one lone copper going into their end, which we had taken, and then his helmet being thrown around like a beachball for the rest of the game. Pitch invasion at end. Both crossbars got broken.

All a lot to take in for a young 'un!

That's all lovely, but what was in your lunch and did mom make it for you? Manage to sneak a can of Shandy Bass in?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Lost 3-1 at Palace, March 12th 1977. Eric Steele's debut. 28,677 of which around 6-7,000 were Brighton, and segregation was...'fluid'. I was 13 and spotted a number of fellow Fawcett boys, some of whom were proudly frogmarched out of the Holmesdale to the away end. It was the season they also 'beat' us in the Cup at Stamford Bridge: we had the last laugh finishing 2nd to their 3rd in division 3 with both teams promoted.

Although I had been at the FA Cup semifinal in April 76 when Southampton beat Palace. We were in the Palace seats at Stamford Bridge, shouting for Southampton (my uncle worked for Bloye the Palace chairman, and got us freebies).

I'll be at Selhurst again next month. I understand why many regard this fixture as more trouble than it's worth, but for me it's imprinted in my DNA.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here