Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - heating engineer / plumber in Newhaven?

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I am not sure that my friend's boiler will make it through another winter.
Any recommendations for a plumber / heating engineer who can do a top-notch job (but not at top-notch prices) in Newhaven?

Combi-boiler replacement required, informal advice from last British Gas guy who came to repair earlier this year was that new boiler will also need a larger diameter gas feed to meet new regs, an extended run to take waste / overflow - oh, and he suggested moving it to the attic, from the hallway cupboard it is now in....

I'll throw myself on the mercy of NSC, and get ready to filter the anticipated comments :)

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Any recommendations for a plumber / heating engineer who can do a top-notch job (but not at top-notch prices) in Newhaven?

Combi-boiler replacement required, informal advice from last British Gas guy who came to repair earlier this year was that new boiler will also need a larger diameter gas feed to meet new regs, an extended run to take waste / overflow - oh, and he suggested moving it to the attic, from the hallway cupboard it is now in....

I'll throw myself on the mercy of NSC, and get ready to filter the anticipated comments :)

Just got a new combi boiler fitted today, but I'm too far away to recommend our fitter! But some thoughts...

British Gas were one of three companies that quoted, and told us we needed a new 28mm gas feed, so we got them all to quote on that basis. BG were most expensive, as expected, so we went with a local company. Guy arrived and said he would fit it using the existing 22mm pipe, test the flow with a meter when finished, and upgrade if necessary. Turns out that was adequate, even with top of the range Worcester-Bosch boiler running full blast, and all the gas rings burning on the hob. So, we've saved on that.

We considered putting it in the attic, and rejected the idea - it's extra distance for the hot water to run every time you turn the tap on. And it's a climb up the ladder if you need to reset it. Plus it would have been further from our wireless controller.

And yes, we now have a longer waste pipe connected to a drain pipe.

Plus, we now have a new coat cupboard where the old hot water tank was, a loft with zero plumbing to worry about, and taps with rather good pressure.

Will be glad when they finish off tomorrow.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

How does that work then? You want a top job but aren't willing to pay for it. Annoys me when potential customers say that to me.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

You get what you pay for, and winter is coming..brrrr... So tell your friend to dig a little deeper and get a decent job done.

http://bbplumbing.co.uk/

They're both BHA STH too boot.. :thumbsup:

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
How does that work then? You want a top job but aren't willing to pay for it. Annoys me when potential customers say that to me.

True. We'll be saving a fortune over our old BG service contract, so worth the cash every 15 years.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I was going to recommend the guy who fits our boilers but the phrase "top job but not top prices" grates on me

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
True. We'll be saving a fortune over our old BG service contract, so worth the cash every 15 years.

BG always charge well over the odds. We had a BG service contract, but switched to Southern saving £4 a month, and better service.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
British Gas - cowboys in suits.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
BG always charge well over the odds. We had a BG service contract, but switched to Southern saving £4 a month, and better service.

Yeah, we're glad to be rid of them. They started charging extra because our old boiler was obsolete, and parts weren't easily available.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I was going to recommend the guy who fits our boilers but the phrase "top job but not top prices" grates on me

Hmm - I want good work, but not British Gas prices - does that still grate on you?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I think you'd be surprised with some of the deals you can get with us now.

I check every year, so will have another look next May. They also blotted their copybook when our heating wasn't working, and we're down as priority, but they took three days to get to us.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here