Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Right, so why have people called for May to guarantee that EU nationals can stay, if that's not in her power to do anyway?

Er, because this is in her power and would almost certainly be passed by the House as it has cross-party support. In fact it was announced yesterday that this is going to happen. Don't think this will change now. There's no obligation for the EU to reciprocate with our nationals abroad but it's hardly going to be looked negatively upon. Not 100% what you're getting at here.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Maybe she should take a leaf out of Corbyn's book .. even if a big majority of your own party MP's vote and say you're not up to the job carry on regardless pretend nothing has happenned.
They're two different cases.

For Labour, the MPs are completely irrelevant: Corbyn was elected by party members and won 70% of the vote - if a majority were against him, he'd have gone.

May was voted by MPs and not the members, so if a majority want her out, she's going to have to go

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This. I would call it a bizarre speech if JC had made it, and it certainly wouldn't be inkeeping with his tone. It was a bizarre speech as 99% of people are agreeing.
I think your percentage may be out a little.

Stop spouting reactionary nonsense.

The party in 2nd has said they are in a position to form a government if required. Doesn't mean they can or will. It is right under our constitution for them to offer to do that until such a time the Queen's speech is voted on. Let us remember Ted Heath won the election in Feb 1974, but refused to form a government and spent the weekend deliberating it before Wilson formed the minority government on the Monday.

Why is it that so many of those who are so keen on Brexit, regaining our sovereignty, don't actually seem to understand what our sovereign Parliament is, and how governments are formed.

So many obsessed with Brexit, when it seems more people are prioritising and concerned with OUR country, not just our exit from an organisation.
I agree, but we are getting calls from the usual suspects for her to resign now. She has two weeks to form a workable government, beardy and mcdonught should shut up and if nothing comes of the tess plan then they can start the free for all.

Unfortunately Brexit is the main issue. It could dominate things for 5 years. I voted Brexit and am seeing my vote getting pushed into the long grass. I voted tory, we won, and now I am hearing she should quit now.

Maybe I should start supporting palace with my luck at picking a winner.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
All I'll say is if the roles were reversed and it was Labour and, say, the Greens instead of the Conservatives and the DUP then I would expect Corbyn to do exactly as May has just done.

In front of the ranks of the media and having just returned from Buckingham Palace is never going to be the time nor place to do anything more than what we've just seen.

If you were looking for some dressed up version of "Blimey, that all went a bit worse than I thought. How embarrassing for me. What a pickle I'm in now." you were always going to be disappointed.

I get where you are coming from but she made no reference to Hung parliament, high turnout, high turnout of youth, split votes across regions or anything else that happened in the past 24 hours.

It was written weeks in advance and sounded delusional. She has no self awareness whatsoever.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
They're two different cases.

For Labour, the MPs are completely irrelevant: Corbyn was elected by party members and won 70% of the vote - if a majority were against him, he'd have gone.

May was voted by MPs and not the members, so if a majority want her out, she's going to have to go

I was being facetious. Some similarities though .. hanging on in supposedly untenable situations.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
If there is a vote of No Confidence in the Government, an election can be called. I think that's the point of the references to the Queen's Speech and so on. If that doesn't get through, then it's effectively a vote of no confidence. Also, the Tories manifesto was to 'repeal' the Act, but like many of their other policies, they didn't actually say what they would replace it with. So, it's still live. After all a hung parliament doesn't mean the whole manifesto is out the window, but they can only get stuff through that others are okay with. So, if they all want to repeal it, they can do so.

I know what you are saying but what Osbourne was intimating was that if the Tories won a thumping majority they would remove the 2/3 act (so allowing their PM to call a GE at their convenience)....now that they are on a knife edge, they are going to drop that pledge (deliberately) and can go to June 2022, i.e no matter how much JC might ask for another GE they can say by law we cannot and are not obliged too because of the fixed term act....I agree on a vote of no confidence, but that would mean the DUP triggering an election giving Corbyn a chance (read the Guardian article about how much they hate him!)....over time this may change with one by one by election losses by the Tories I agree, but this I think would take at least 3 years for the numbers to be close (do remember every single other, non Con/DUP MP needs to be onside with JC to trigger the no confidence motion) and time is really not on JC side....

I think what Osbourne was intimating was if the Tories could not form a govt now, their could be another election before the year was out, now that they were appearing to do so, because of this fixed term act and the fact that it is law, it was quite likely it would last until 8th June 2022 giving a more concrete identifiable date for the next GE for all.

Jezza will be 73 in 2022....Chuka Amunna (as an example) will be 43 in 2022.

I do put in the cavaet that at the moment anything seems possible in UK politics....I would not surprise me if Lord Bucket Head was our new lead negotiator at the Brexit talks in 10 days time

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I agree, but we are getting calls from the usual suspects for her to resign now. She has two weeks to form a workable government, beardy and mcdonught should shut up and if nothing comes of the tess plan then they can start the free for all.

Unfortunately Brexit is the main issue. It could dominate things for 5 years. I voted Brexit and am seeing my vote getting pushed into the long grass. I voted tory, we won, and now I am hearing she should quit now.

Maybe I should start supporting palace with my luck at picking a winner.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

You voted in a referendum which is at odds with our constituency parliamentary democracy. Referendums always have been and always will be at odds with a representative democratic system - they are rarely binding. You voted in a recommendation to Parliament. That is all.

We were not due a General election until 2020. The government had a majority. They bought us to the polls to strengthen their hand. You are right they won, but they are worse off than had they not called it. They've cost us a huge amount of time, money and disruption to make the government weaker. Strong and stable. Anyway, it won't be the opposition that brings her down...

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
You've posted an opinion piece, that's not proof. Might be for you, but not for the rational, sane person.

I said nazis were supporting Corbyn, or encouraging their fellow nazis to support them. An opinion peice on a nazi site encouraging other nazis to support Corbyn looks like an endorsement.

let me take you through this slowly.

The main neo-nazi hub on the internet has a main page header thats says., oh let me show you it.

corbyn-banner.png

It also has at least 6 pages promoting and supporting Corbyn.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=daily+stormer+vote+corbyn

A bit more than an opinion peice.

Any questions?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The DUP aren't watered down Tories, the other way if anything!

The reason any deal with the DUP is slightly unpalatable, is the Tories don't have an outright majority because of the voting to the left. Doing a deal with a party further to the right is therefore not a coalition of strength in that it doesn't lean in the direction of the rest of the house.

In 2010, a coalition with the Libs, was a move to the left for the Tories, so that made democratic sense.

Just listened to the World At One for a short time and the DUP alliance was stated to be problematic for a number of reasons. Firstly Westminster should be neutral now in NI as part of Good Friday. Obviously now they are not. That then means the the U.K. Government can no longer act as an independent arbitrator in getting Stormont's government back up & running. Thirdly there is widespread disagreement on the type of North / South Irish border post Brexit.

I don't know who the chap being interviewed was but he was cynical to the point of scathing over a Tory / DUP Alliance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Politics really does bring out the child in people.

Hopefully one day, our democracy will be based on an adult/mature way of running our country.

Since when did we want our leaders to all be bitching about each other? Inspirational stuff.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Haha, of course it does, Lords decided in March that MPs had to have "meaningful vote" on the Brexit outcome. This was the whole point of the bloody election in the first place to avoid any back-bench rebellion.

I thought so.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just listened to the World At One for a short time and the DUP alliance was stated to be problematic for a number of reasons. Firstly Westminster should be neutral now in NI as part of Good Friday. Obviously now they are not. That then means the the U.K. Government can no longer act as an independent arbitrator in getting Stormont's government back up & running. Thirdly there is widespread disagreement on the type of North / South Irish border post Brexit.

I don't know who the chap being interviewed was but he was cynical to the point of scathing over a Tory / DUP Alliance

Just in case we're in any doubt the subtext of this is that May might have put Brexit negotiations at risk with the election but she's now putting the Northern Irish peace process at risk with her government. Another set of terrorists looking to strike the main land anyone?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here