Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How the heck are we going to compete in the Prem?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It's not so much the money but what that money can (but not always) buy you.

I watched the Cup Final and thought "blimey - this pace and skill is scary!"

That's what I thought when Arsenal last visited 2-3 and look at the team we had out that day!

More so when we lost 0-4 in the opening match all those years ago.

Right now (if we keep Stockdale) I think Newcastle and Huddersfield are weaker. Who else? Bournemouth have weaknesses.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
That's what I thought when Arsenal last visited 2-3 and look at the team we had out that day!

More so when we lost 0-4 in the opening match all those years ago.

Right now (if we keep Stockdale) I think Newcastle and Huddersfield are weaker. Who else? Bournemouth have weaknesses.

Watford look fragile.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
I think the claims that TB is going to get his loans back is pie in the sky. The median profit for PL clubs in 2015/16 was just £2.7 million (I anticipate the Albion's losses for the season we have just had could easily top £40 million) and 8 of the 20 teams made a net loss.

If TB wants to monetise his investment, (and there is no evidence that he so wishes) then expect him to go along the lines of Manchester City (sold 13% of the club to China for £265mill) or Bournemouth (sold 25% to an American private equity firm). Going into a deal similar to that of small club Crystal Palace, where the ownership and control is now split between Steve Parish and the Americans, is fraught with danger when it comes to decision making, and I can't see TB being that way inclined.
I just don't understand the viability of it all. You say £2.7mill is an average profit in the PL... so why on earth would anyone pay £250mill+ for a small percentage of overall equity. Why did TB pay £250mill for stadium and training where there is little to no likelihood of getting his dosh back thru profits (albeit I fully know he's a massive fan but he's also has a fine business mind) Where is there money to be made in buying football teams?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The final table had 6 points separating Bournemouth in 9th (46) to Watford in 17th (40). So, it wouldn't take a lot for ANY of those to drop into the bottom 3.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I think the claims that TB is going to get his loans back is pie in the sky. The median profit for PL clubs in 2015/16 was just £2.7 million (I anticipate the Albion's losses for the season we have just had could easily top £40 million) and 8 of the 20 teams made a net loss.

If TB wants to monetise his investment, (and there is no evidence that he so wishes) then expect him to go along the lines of Manchester City (sold 13% of the club to China for £265mill) or Bournemouth (sold 25% to an American private equity firm). Going into a deal similar to that of small club Crystal Palace, where the ownership and control is now split between Steve Parish and the Americans, is fraught with danger when it comes to decision making, and I can't see TB being that way inclined.
Very much so and I'd suspect that mr bloom has potential investors in mind hopefully:)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I just don't understand the viability of it all. You say £2.7mill is an average profit in the PL... so why on earth would anyone pay £250mill+ for a small percentage of overall equity. Why did TB pay £250mill for stadium and training where there is little to no likelihood of getting his dosh back thru profits (albeit I fully know he's a massive fan but he's also has a fine business mind) Where is there money to be made in buying football teams?
Well the Blackpool owner pocketed about £60 million so you can make money in one season:lolol:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Still only 11 v 11 anything can happen in football that's why we all love it. We could go to Chelsea and nick 1-0 or lose 4-0 it will be fun finding out.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If Burnley start losing at home that's them knackered as they can only win away at small teams like Crystal Palace

I hope so. But I still think it could be Brighton v Newcastle for the last spot? Depends on signings for all the teams.Plug the weaknesses for when the negative goal difference teams play each other.

Looking forward to it. I wouldn't have liked to face another hard slog season in he Championship. Even Watford at home will be a big game.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Personally You can spend all that money, but it doesnt mean you are getting a great player. We arent and more than likely will never be competeing for the top 6.

Also players are completely over priced for top 6 teams, there is value out there and hopefully we will find it. I dont spending big will keep us in the league, A continued reasoned approach by the club will see us safe.

We completed our 5 year plan in 6 seasons, so it will be interesting to see what the next 5 year plan may look like.

I would hope we can compete at getting players the likes of Andros Townsend. Players who have forged a career in the prem but never quite settled. I know we can't afford a harry Kane or david silva, but I do hope we can attract some young aspiring foreign internationals who want to play in the prem under a very astute manager.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If you watch any of the top six play it scares the hell out of you, but then if you watch some of the others you think well maybe we can compete.

It will be tough though and there is no point pretending it won't be. It will come down to who we sign as the current team is a good 6 or 7 short of Premier League quality and will get found out. I'd even include Stephens in that. The thought of Bruno trying to defend terrifies me. Stephens slowness of thought. Murray going missing in away games. Knockaert doing one trick too many in our half. Frankly as things stand we are not good enough, but I am confident we will sign just about enough to compete. Just. Probably.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I hope so. But I still think it could be Brighton v Newcastle for the last spot? Depends on signings for all the teams.Plug the weaknesses for when the negative goal difference teams play each other.

Looking forward to it. I wouldn't have liked to face another hard slog season in he Championship. Even Watford at home will be a big game.

I personally think Newcastle will be fine - they would have promised Rafa a shit ton of cash or he would have walked.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I would hope we can compete at getting players the likes of Andros Townsend. Players who have forged a career in the prem but never quite settled. I know we can't afford a harry Kane or david silva, but I do hope we can attract some young aspiring foreign internationals who want to play in the prem under a very astute manager.

Players like Townsend are a perfect example - good player - 12 million - not the 50/60 million stated in the opening post

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
You do it in stages by targeting enough to stay up initially and then gradually improving the squad and the and the Youth Development year after year. Don't try to overreach too quickly and just try and retain stability in the early years up there.

Jan 10, 2014
Players like Townsend are a perfect example - good player - 12 million - not the 50/60 million stated in the opening post

Then add his £60,000 a week wages over his 5 year deal and you don't have much change out of £30 million.

Over 5 years it's not a massive amount, if you stay in the Premier League

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
In the first place, by getting in a bit of nouse and experience. Second, by acknowledging that we are not a top ten Premier league club - yet - so by bringing in hungry players who maybe haven't settled elsewhere but don't see Brighton as their final destination, and with the talent and ambition to want to be in the Premiership shop window. I believe we have a manager who can source those signings.

If we can survive the first few seasons, I honestly think we can become an established Prem club. After what we have achieved in the past twenty years, for the moment at least, we HAVE to believe it's possible.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
By finishing above those teams not spending that sort of money

Like that famous anecdote:

2 men being chased by a lion.
One stops to put on trainers.
The other says: "you'll never outrun a lion..."
He replies: "I don't need to. I just need to outrun you...."

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I watched the Cup Final and thought "blimey - this pace and skill is scary!"

Spurs last 2 games scared the living crap out of me! 1-6 away at Leicester and and the 7-1 home demolition of Hull *shudder*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here