Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wrong Team Selection

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
What I meant by that was at 2 down we had a chance to get back in the game which we did but wouldn't have at 3 down. What the score at half time would have been with Biss and Andone on I haven't a clue.

No, it's all conjecture, that much is true.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The amount of nearly goals the team has almost conceded this season is astronomical.
We have got to be top of the league in pretend goals.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Fair play to Stephens for his comments in the Argus:

"In my position too, there's Biss who has come in and done very well. He was probably unfortunate not to play.

"It's nice to have so many starts for one club. I've enjoyed my time here and hopefully I can have many more."

The second quote sounds as if he is resigned to getting less game time and he knows that Bissouma is going to be picked ahead of him in the future. He'll probably be gone before his contract expires.

I like a midfield 3 of Propper, Bissouma and Kayal, the former for both seeing the pass and the latter because they are pests and full of energy.

Are their websites with the stats of miles covered per player per game? I would be interested to see what Bissouma has been doing.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If you go out with a mentality that you want to lose by as little as possible then guess what... you always lose, with the only variant being by how much. We went out there yesterday accepting our fate for the first 60 minutes, and that's the most disappointing thing as a paying fan - I don't want to pay to turn up and see my team set up to lose the game by as little as possible because that attitude at top level sport is just pathetic.,

And therein lies the center of most peoples' complaints - we don't mind losing (heck, we're used to it as Brighton fans), it's the manner of a loss which is the most galling thing. And in our case this season, it's that the manner of our losses tend to represent a pattern in how we lose games.

I'm not sure that the mentality of ay footballer or manager is to go lose by as little as possible – more to keep a clean sheet, or to stay in the game for as long as possible, without being completely overrun. To a point, that strategy (if, indeed, it WAS that strategy) worked yesterday but whether it would've been a different story with a different starting line-up – or if either team had played differently (Chelsea had SO much time on the ball at certain points it was like a training game) will never be known.

I can see it from your side though – Jnr Bobkin said something before kick-off along the lines of 'I reckon it'll be a draw, but if not, I just hope there are lots of goals... :lol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Our result against Chelsea was........better than Man City's was against them last week. Chelsea had 3 shots on target against us (5 against Man City). Chelsea had one corner in each game. Selective stats I know, but we're perhaps not quite as crap as some would make out.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't think there's such a thing as a "free hit" in Hughton's view. Every match has the possibility of wrecking our goal difference so we start by looking to contain against the bigger clubs and take it from there.

Had Balogun not gone for an own-assist, may well have worked out too.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He was against Burnley and didn't get a sniff.

It's so easy for people to see the last half hour where Chelsea basically switched off and were happy with their 2 goal cushion. Andone came on with Chelsea already sitting back, and after Alonso hit the post, it sparked us into a bit of life. Not sure Andone starting in that game would have made a difference, something we can't know, but just because we looked better in the last 1/2 hour isn't confirmation that the selection was wrong in my eyes. I would like to see Bissouma and Andone in the team, but can see why they didn't yesterday.

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Ah got it now I think.
Took me a while to work out YB as well......
Nobby you are so right. These abbreviations do my head in. They were born with names so bloody use them. End of rant.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
It's so easy for people to see the last half hour where Chelsea basically switched off and were happy with their 2 goal cushion. Andone came on with Chelsea already sitting back, and after Alonso hit the post, it sparked us into a bit of life. Not sure Andone starting in that game would have made a difference, something we can't know, but just because we looked better in the last 1/2 hour isn't confirmation that the selection was wrong in my eyes. I would like to see Bissouma and Andone in the team, but can see why they didn't yesterday.

Chelsea did not sit back , we woke up and started playing , when some pace and energy came on the pitch

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Did pretty well at Huddersfield though.

Yep and it’s great that he’s showing his value but it’s a squad game as form varies, injures, suspensions, subs, fixture congestion, opponents all are considered. Hughton plays that game pretty well (were 13th!!) and has done well (again) nurturing the new signings who have now had plenty of starts.

But to expect that from now on cos we lost 2-1 to Chelsea - x and y players MUST start regardless or some players have had their day- is knee jerk short termism.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'm not sure that the mentality of ay footballer or manager is to go lose by as little as possible – more to keep a clean sheet, or to stay in the game for as long as possible, without being completely overrun. To a point, that strategy (if, indeed, it WAS that strategy) worked yesterday but whether it would've been a different story with a different starting line-up – or if either team had played differently (Chelsea had SO much time on the ball at certain points it was like a training game) will never be known.

I can see it from your side though – Jnr Bobkin said something before kick-off along the lines of 'I reckon it'll be a draw, but if not, I just hope there are lots of goals... :lol:

Haha that is my attitude. I've always preferred an attacking mindset. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate CH for what he's done for us, but he frustrates the hell out of me at times with his negative "strategy".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here