Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prevent Donald Trump from making a state visit to the United Kingdom - petition

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Whereas Brexit could in the long run be arguably (very arguably) good for Britain, I'm really struggling to see any reality where Trump is doing any good for the US.

While it is early days, he seems to already be on a course of destruction with foreign policy, security issues and PR. While he may be doing some of the negative things he promised I have yet to hear of him implimenting all those jobs for Americans and economic boosts he promised.

As I stated before the result, two very poor candidates, I think Clinton would have been worse.
I think Trump will be reigned in soon.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
"No idea". Best you keep an eye on where you live, why are you so worried you are still in the EU. You may get your say in the future.
The Czech Republic may choose to follow Britain out of the European Union, the country’s prime minister said, amid growing fears in Brussels of a “contagion”.

Bohuslav Sobotka said that a “Czexit” may take place. The Czech Republic only joined the EU in 2004 and has been the beneficiary of billions in development funds, but has some of the most hostile public opinion.

May.. could...possibly... perhaps...

So, to repeat... you do not know the outcome of brexit. Again, this is not a brexit thread.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The implementation is the point at which it becomes tar-everyone, you are just indentifying one difference between two policies.

It seems that you are saying that applying vetting to everybody is equivalent to banning everybody. The outcomes are completely different. The former causes inconvenience to the innocent and people will accept that in this day and age i.e. We are all working together to make the world a safer place. The latter has greater effect as innocent people are branded a threat and division is created.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The Clamp brought Brexit in, post 1278, I just responded.
As I said, you must be happy you are still in the EU.

Makes visiting UK cheaper. Pussers Rum has gone down in price. However, im not happy about the situation. If I comment on it, it will be seen as 'whining' by people who would be terrified of a 2nd referendum as they know they would lose it.

:wink:

anyway, back to scrotus

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
As I stated before the result, two very poor candidates, I think Clinton would have been worse.
I think Trump will be reigned in soon.

I am not sure why so many feel nearly obliged to somehow apologise for at least accepting Trump is and should be President, especially from you Soulman.

He is unorthodox and I am not yet comfortable with this tweeting lark, maybe its a generational thing.

But meeting Theresa May is better than what Obama had to offer and I am quite comfortable with his temporary ban against Merkels open door policy the rest is the anti Trump brigade getting in a tizz for him ruffling feathers of the judiciary and anything else that previous Presidents did in private.

I am not yet convinced but I am not willing to jump on the anti brigade to try and get a kindly nod from those that actually dont care much for the legitimcy of Brexit and Trump because it didnt fit their own world view.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I am not sure why so many feel nearly obliged to somehow apologise for at least accepting Trump is and should be President, especially from you Soulman.

He is unorthodox and I am not yet comfortable with this tweeting lark, maybe its a generational thing.

But meeting Theresa May is better than what Obama had to offer and I am quite comfortable with his temporary ban against Merkels open door policy the rest is the anti Trump brigade getting in a tizz for him ruffling feathers of the judiciary and anything else that previous Presidents did in private.

I am not yet convinced but I am not willing to jump on the anti brigade to try and get a kindly nod from those that actually dont care much for the legitimcy of Brexit and Trump because it didnt fit their own world view.

I am not anti BG, I just feel that his approach like twitter, is a bit gun ho, I think his methods and communication skills will be reigned in.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It seems that you are saying that applying vetting to everybody is equivalent to banning everybody. The outcomes are completely different. The former causes inconvenience to the innocent and people will accept that in this day and age i.e. We are all working together to make the world a safer place. The latter has greater effect as innocent people are branded a threat and division is created.

No, I am happy to discuss policy and outcomes, the point of our brief discussion was exclusively on the term 'tar-everyone', but we have moved on.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I accept that Trump was voted in legitimately (unless something comes of this Russian malarky) through the slightly odd US voting system. He ran, he won. Everyone had the same chances he did and he came out on top. Fairs.

But I won't and cannot accept he was the correct choice off the starting block and my view seems to be justified through his actions as President.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I accept that Trump was voted in legitimately (unless something comes of this Russian malarky) through the slightly odd US voting system. He ran, he won. Everyone had the same chances he did and he came out on top. Fairs.

But I won't and cannot accept he was the correct choice off the starting block and my view seems to be justified through his actions as President.

Wholly reasonable, but be honest if I or you cared enough to troll back at yours or others anti Trump posters it doesnt always come across like that.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Wholly reasonable, but be honest if I or you cared enough to troll back at yours or others anti Trump posters it doesnt always come across like that.

Typical response which is similar to the Brexit thread where anyone who correctly raises a downside is immediately accused if being anti democratic as they are not accepting the result.

No one (other than Trump) is saying that the outcome of the voting process was invalid and fully accept the result.

Everyone has a view I just dont accept that Trump will be reigned in as his term progresses. While not saying that Trump is the same as Hitler but that hope if reigning someone back once they are in iffice failed totally in 1939s Germany.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
His eventual impeachment might mark a fresh start for US politics?

This is how I'm viewing the whole thing. The experiment of having a businessman in the most powerful position in politics is proving to be a dismal failure. Trump is finding out that everything he says or does has an effect on someone and he can't run a country like he runs a business.

Hopefully this will be a watershed and the pool of political talent will throw up someone who isn't a proven and liar and tainted by past failure like Hilary was or a complete psychopath like Ted Cruz!

I guess they already had that in Bernie Sanders but Hilary and her team managed to throw him under the bus.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
This is how I'm viewing the whole thing. The experiment of having a businessman in the most powerful position in politics is proving to be a dismal failure. Trump is finding out that everything he says or does has an effect on someone and he can't run a country like he runs a business.

Hopefully this will be a watershed and the pool of political talent will throw up someone who isn't a proven and liar and tainted by past failure like Hilary was or a complete psychopath like Ted Cruz!

I guess they already had that in Bernie Sanders but Hilary and her team managed to throw him under the bus.
This.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am not anti BG, I just feel that his approach like twitter, is a bit gun ho, I think his methods and communication skills will be reigned in.

Blimey. I agree with something [MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION] has posted. I am convinced that inherently everyone is a nice person; we don't always know or show this though. If this is the first step to becoming a left winger may I encourage you further.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

One thing that we can't yet assess is the decision making process he employs when set against his business interests. For example, we believe that he has no interests in the countries that he tried to block from the US but he does have some in Pakistan. Was that why this country was not on the list? Likewise, he has interests in Russia.
There are some positives about electing a non-politician as president but his overseas dealings will always make him vulnerable to pressure from overseas in ways that others would not be.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
One thing that we can't yet assess is the decision making process he employs when set against his business interests. For example, we believe that he has no interests in the countries that he tried to block from the US but he does have some in Pakistan. Was that why this country was not on the list? Likewise, he has interests in Russia.
There are some positives about electing a non-politician as president but his overseas dealings will always make him vulnerable to pressure from overseas in ways that others would not be.
Well his shifting position on the One China policy seems to tie in nicely with a trademark decision for his business suddenly going in his favour in China when it wasn't looking good. Coincidence ?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

How could that ever be measured or audited ? Sure his direct business dealings can be watched but how about the 'you scratch my back, I scratch yours' conversations on the golf course ? There is already too much crossover between senior business leaders and political decision making in the forums of Davos and the EU without electing a businessman directly into Government. Politicians are representatives of and accountable to the people. Businessmen are representatives of and accountable to their shareholders hence the noise during last year's referendum from those amongst them whose businesses were geared towards the EU. Bottom line was their bottom line rather than the total net effect on the economy.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Typical response which is similar to the Brexit thread where anyone who correctly raises a downside is immediately accused if being anti democratic as they are not accepting the result.

No one (other than Trump) is saying that the outcome of the voting process was invalid and fully accept the result.

Everyone has a view I just dont accept that Trump will be reigned in as his term progresses. While not saying that Trump is the same as Hitler but that hope if reigning someone back once they are in iffice failed totally in 1939s Germany.

It is not obligatory to shoe horn Hitler and 1939 into many anti Trump posts, a lazy comparison.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here