Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Santander bank

scooter1

How soon is now?
Been with them for years and have had no need to interact with staff. They used to pay 3% interest for a £3 monthly account fee but this has halved and the fee is now a fiver. I can't get a better return on short term cash so it's still a yes from me.

They also give you cash back on many DD's which should still more than cover your account fee.
This. I've always kept my account in order which probably helps. However the missus interacts with them regularly at a business level and says they're shocking...

My wife wrote a letter to them asking to cancel a Direct Debit. I handed it to a cashier, telling her what it was. They didn't cancel the DD. I then had a long email conversation with them, repeating myself several times. They did eventually cancel it and refund her.

With the 123 account, the cashback just covers the monthly fee, so any interest you get on your savings is 'profit', so to speak.

No discrespect intended but writing a letter to cancel a DD??

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
No discrespect intended but writing a letter to cancel a DD??

Yes, they did say that after the event. However, I had previously cancelled a DD with Lloyds, online, and they continued to pay it. Thought the letter option might work better.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Been with them since Abbey days.No complaints whatsoever in all that time.Web site secure and an absolute doddle to use.Staff in UK,and Spain and Canaries couldn't be nicer or more helpful.Pleasure to deal with!

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I have a business account with Santander because it's cheaper for paying in cheques and cash. I do this at the ATM because they don't have a counter for business and are generally unhelpful. I only ever speak to them if I have a problem with the ATM. In my experience customer service is awful but I put up with it because it's cheap and saves me lots of money in bank charges.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Sit down, put the kettle on and read this.
Two business accounts, mine and Wifey. All done online and free.
We got locked out. Password not working. All hints etc failed. I should point out that everything was correct my end. The cock up was their end.
Question - where did you get married?
Mothers maiden name, first pet etc etc. Nothing was working, it was like someone had changed everything on our accounts. Worrying.
Called them and as they wanted certain code words which I gave but didn't work, they could not help.
Went into local branch. They are unable to help as it is an internet account, but they have a phone to use.
No good. Password not working. All hints etc failed. They wanted certain code words which I gave but didn't work, they could not help.
Spoke to assistant in branch but she could not help as it was an internet account. Use the free phone we have instore.
Went home and collected all my statements, passports, proof of address and piles of 'stuff'
Went into local branch. They are unable to help as it is an internet account, but they have a phone to use.
Luckily it was a Saturday and they close at (2pm?) and I knew this. It was 30 minutes before closing. I asked to see the manager.
I am unable to help as it is an internet account, but we have a phone to use.
It was now 15 minutes to closing and I think they knew I was not going home.
So the manager, myself and the Wife sat at a table and called the internet help desk. The manager explained how she had in front of her every document that existed to prove who we were and that obviously the account must have been hacked.
Still nothing. Past closing time and now even the manager was losing her temper. "Do you know who I am" was mentioned more than once.
Result. They agreed to freeze the account and send out new passwords but this took over a week and meanwhile we were locked out of our money.
NOTE. No problems since then and for business accounts, very cheap.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Sit down, put the kettle on and read this.
Two business accounts, mine and Wifey. All done online and free.
We got locked out. Password not working. All hints etc failed. I should point out that everything was correct my end. The cock up was their end.
Question - where did you get married?
Mothers maiden name, first pet etc etc. Nothing was working, it was like someone had changed everything on our accounts. Worrying.
Called them and as they wanted certain code words which I gave but didn't work, they could not help.
No good. Password not working. All hints etc failed. They wanted certain code words which I gave but didn't work, they could not help.
Spoke to assistant in branch but she could not help as it was an internet account. Use the free phone we have instore.
Went home and collected all my statements, passports, proof of address and piles of 'stuff'
Luckily it was a Saturday and they close at (2pm?) and I knew this. It was 30 minutes before closing. I asked to see the manager.
I am unable to help as it is an internet account, but we have a phone to use.
It was now 15 minutes to closing and I think they knew I was not going home.
So the manager, myself and the Wife sat at a table and called the internet help desk. The manager explained how she had in front of her every document that existed to prove who we were and that obviously the account must have been hacked.
Still nothing. Past closing time and now even the manager was losing her temper. "Do you know who I am" was mentioned more than once.
Result. They agreed to freeze the account and send out new passwords but this took over a week and meanwhile we were locked out of our money.
NOTE. No problems since then and for business accounts, very cheap.

thanks for that ,very interesting

D

Deleted member 2719

Another 123 account holder.

Was getting £700 odd quid a year interest from them, which covered my season ticket and some.

That's now halved (and £5 fee), but still works out about £400 a year which nobody else can match.

Went in a few days ago to get a new card sent out, was in and out in 5 minutes and card arrived 2 days later.

We also have some 123 accounts also, we have a Santander mortgage account which we overpay, which creates a saving pot and also has an easy graph showing what happens to your mortgage if you overpay.

We find them good to deal with and can't knock em.

With Jessica Ennis-Hill fronting them up what's not to like.:love:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
What's the problem with the Coop?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Not had any real problems with them - niggly things yes - but if you have any cash then they still give the best return.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Been with them for 20 years, app/website is simple to use, my mrs has just started working for them, so I am admittedly biased, but the in branch staff all seem clued up.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Money goes to money lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to gets some of that cash that's stuffed under your mattress in a bank account.
You must be burning your arse on the light bulb now.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
No problems with them .

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013

The Co-op bank is absolutely the worst bank in the world as far as I am concerned.

I was with them for a couple of years from 2013 to 2015 and you would not believe half the issues I had. With Barclays now and they are First class.

3 in our family are with Santander and have been for many years, they all say they are very happy with them.

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Have my mortgage with them, not had any issues so far.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
about to change over and seems very good ......................if it goes tits up will let you know

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here