Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Blair will Not be investigated over Iraq war

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
A good example of the danger of having a fool as PM. Anyone with a moderate knowledge of the Middle East and the Islamic world could have predicted the danger of taking out the secular leader of Iraq even if he was a seriously nasty character.

he's no fool, callous, calculating, devious, manipulative, yes; but not a fool

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
[If] Saddam was still in power Isil wouldn't have been heard off.

we cant really say that with certainty. the leader who founded what is not Isil was active building that group before the invasion, as was the desire to see a islamic caliphate. any weakness or the death of Saddam could have triggered a similar implosion of the state of Iraq to be used by these groups. really it was the Arab spring and the rising up of the Syrians, that really gave the cause momentum.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
we cant really say that with certainty. the leader who founded what is not Isil was active building that group before the invasion, as was the desire to see a islamic caliphate. any weakness or the death of Saddam could have triggered a similar implosion of the state of Iraq to be used by these groups. really it was the Arab spring and the rising up of the Syrians, that really gave the cause momentum.

IMHO what gave the cause far more momentum was the so-called 'targeted' bombing of Baghdad in Operation Shock and Awe that started on the night of 20th March 2003.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4773124.stm

PM attacked on Iraq 'God' remarks
Anti-war campaigners have criticised Tony Blair after he suggested his decision to go to war in Iraq would ultimately be judged by God.
The prime minister told ITV1's Parkinson chat show: "If you believe in God (the judgement) is made by God."
Reg Keys, whose son was killed in Iraq, said Mr Blair was "using God as a get-out for total strategic failure" and his comments were "abhorrent".

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Personally I think that is the correct decision. You have to take difficult and tough decisions in government. What he underestimated was the sheer number of extremist groups in the middle east. Take out an evil dictator and unlike Europe you get an even more extremist group in its place. That's not Tony's fault, he can't legislate for people who can't live in a civilised manner.

This is not nick Rhodes.

Tony Blair should be tried for war crimes, he knew there was no WMDs in Iraq. He bullshitted to parliament to goto Iraq the second time round just so he could stay George Bush's good books.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Tony Blair should be tried for war crimes, he knew there was no WMDs in Iraq. He bullshitted to parliament to goto Iraq the second time round just so he could stay George Bush's good books.

I don't think you can honestly say he knew there were no WMDs. Hans Blix who inspected the country couldn't say he knew for a fact there were no WMDs.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4773124.stm

PM attacked on Iraq 'God' remarks
Anti-war campaigners have criticised Tony Blair after he suggested his decision to go to war in Iraq would ultimately be judged by God.
The prime minister told ITV1's Parkinson chat show: "If you believe in God (the judgement) is made by God."
Reg Keys, whose son was killed in Iraq, said Mr Blair was "using God as a get-out for total strategic failure" and his comments were "abhorrent".

I remember that and at the time, that interview was quite badly misrepresented by ITV who were busy plugging the Parkinson programme, suggesting that Blair had spoken to God before making his decision. The truth of the matter is whether Blair believes in God or not, only he will know but if he does, then isn't he correct in stating that, at the very end, it is his God that will judge him, just the same as it would be for anyone else that believes in a god.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why don't you register with your own username? Just a thought.
I keep forgetting to be bothered enough to ask so finally here goes:-

What is the 'joke' with this Nick Rhodes thing?
What have I missed?

nickrhodes

May 1, 2015
I keep forgetting to be bothered enough to ask so finally here goes:-

What is the 'joke' with this Nick Rhodes thing?
What have I missed?

Actually it wasn't a joke but Nick is far too busy know with touring etc that I will close it down next week and set my own username up.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Personally I think that is the correct decision. You have to take difficult and tough decisions in government. What he underestimated was the sheer number of extremist groups in the middle east. Take out an evil dictator and unlike Europe you get an even more extremist group in its place. That's not Tony's fault, he can't legislate for people who can't live in a civilised manner.

This is not nick Rhodes.

looks like he may well be impeached...... and if so, good, war mongering bullshitter

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tony-blair-chilcot-inquiry-iraq-war-report-impeach-law-a7115266.html

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I can still remember him lying to the Commons as if it were yesterday. Responsible for God knows how many deaths.

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
Blair is not responsible for the deaths, the terrorists are.

If the war criminal hadn't mislead parliament then hundreds of thousands of civilians wouldn't have been slaughtered and not forgetting the 100+ British soilders who lost their lifes for an illegal war.

Blair needs arresting for war crimes.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It was never one man.He was informed by the security services and the armed forces and actively supported by a significant majority in parliament and the man in the street.
I think sometimes we need to consider the line between prosecution and persecution

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Where did you read that he wouldn't be impeached ? I can find no reference to it on line.
Apologies if the OP is actually Jeremy Wright

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Blair is not responsible for the deaths, the terrorists are.

Mate, I was serving Queen & Country at the time. I know all about terrorists. I also know what it's like to be told that you are going in to a war that you know just isn't right.
Would there even be half as many terrorists about today if Blair & Bush hadn't have gone in to Iraq, against the wishes of their people, based on false intelligence & lies, blatant lies?
British servicemen & women will put their lives on the line for their country. Invading another country for some made up bullshit was totally different, it felt wrong & was one of the reasons I submitted my notice after 26 years service.
He is a criminal in my eyes, & at the very least he should be made to answer for his lies.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If the war criminal hadn't mislead parliament then hundreds of thousands of civilians wouldn't have been slaughtered and not forgetting the 100+ British soilders who lost their lifes for an illegal war.

You seem to be forgetting that prior to the war, Saddam was busy exterminating his own countrymen in their tens of thousands. Was there a suggestion that he was going to stop exterminating the Kurds?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Yes. 179+ British deaths. 500,000+ Iraqi deaths. That was just in the early days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here