Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Feeling flat

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No blue tinted glasses on me Springal - I'm saying Derby beat us comprehensively all over the pitch. The only thing that ended up even at the final whistle was the score. And let's be honest that was a consolation and we only got that because Carson couldn't get out of his deckchair quickly enough where he'd happily spend the whole of the match.

Oops I misread they for we !

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Whilst I thought Derby were a good side yesterday I don't agree that they were clearly the better side.

Hughes, Ince and Bryson were very skilful, but Stockdale didn't have many saves to make apart from some speculative shots from outside the box.

Martin was well marshalled by Goldson, their centre halves won most in the air but that's our problem, play to feet and let the likes of Wilson and Knockaert run at them and they struggled.

Didn't get home until 10:15 but I'm massively up for it this morning.

90 minutes from promotion. What's not to love?

Sent from Konnie Huq's lingerie drawer.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Was down, but on the up... we WILL do this...

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
From believing we could do it for much of the season, I certainly feel flat now. One win, seven draws and one defeat from the other top five so far does not inspire too much confidence and the pressure, which would all have been on Middlesbrough, is now pretty evenly shared IMO.

Hughton himself said on the pitch afterwards he had to 'pick up' the players this week because they were feeling disappointed by the result - so it's not just us.

I'll say one thing though - this flat, slightly down feeling is easier to cope with than the knotted stomach I've had for about a fortnight. At least that's gone.

Whatever happens, I've enjoyed this season more than any other recently. With the season we've had, and somebody new winning the league with a popular ex-Brighton man playing an important role, this one's been superb.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Well I was thinking taking a load of streamers and ballons up to Boro on saturday, but reading some of the utter tosh on this thread maybe I should take a job lot of white flags instead.

I do not feel flat at all. Regardless of the result against Derby we should always have been heading to Boro with a desire to win. This "oh I wish we only had to get draw" nonesense is just WEAK. This team should have earned your trust enough to believe that they can do this, we've only lost two away from home and one of those was down to the coin toss and playing into the foulest whether I can ever remember. We were the better team against Burnley and Derby away, just undone by two dodgy penalties.

We have nothing to fear at Boro. In fact it's Boro who should be worried about us, as they we were just minutes away from securing promotion two weeks ago and now face the prospect of the playoffs should we beat them.

As for yesterday's game Derby are a good side, what did people expect? That they were going to roll over. Alongside us they have been playing the best football in the division lately. They didn't seem particularly interested in winning the game so were able to defend very well against us. I agree with those impressed with Hughes, best player on the field by a mile. That said we played some lovely stuff, particularly in the first half when only an inspired bit of defending by them kept the scores level. I thought we showed great character to keep pushing for the equaliser and eventually securing it despite Dunk's deserved red. This team did not want to lose, and they showed the fight and spirit that has got them into this position.

I believe in this team, I believe in the ability of the manager to prepare them well for the game. We will WIN!!!!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The flat feeling is going - I'm getting excited again. Even if we finish third, that's a great effort and we'd still have a fair chance of going up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Looking at every other opinion we fans have had over the last 18 months or so, it's pretty hard to feel flat now.

Imagine someone posting, when the fixtures came out:-

'Oh it'll be tough needing a win at Middlesborough to secure promotion'.

Not even [MENTION=267]TSB[/MENTION] could find that thread.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Just got the standard post beer blues - nothing to do with the result.

Give it a day, and all the positivity will be back.

But the belief is unshakeable - PL in 4 days.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
I don't think I should feel flat right now but I do.

At almost any point this season I'd have gladly snatched the opportunity to go to Boro knowing a win would take us up automatically with a consolation prize of the play-offs.

We've had a remarkable season and still have the chance to cap it off in style, yet I feel somewhat downbeat about it all.

Anyone else?
Nope, certainly not flat. Quite the opposite. Beating Middlesbrough in their own yard is a tough task but not an impossible one.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Flat?! .....we've just gone W13 D5 L1 from 16th January. 44 points from 19 games, 2.32 points per game. I mean wow, we've absolutely pulled out all the stops to get to this point. To put that in context M'Boro have got 32 points in the same period at 1.68 ppg. We've been in sensational form.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What we all seem to have overlooked is that Derby came here able to play with freedom and passion in front of a full house on the back of a great run with absolutely no pressure on them, the result was irrelevant to them, other than pride. Should we meet again in the play off final it will be totally different for them as the pressure will be massive for both of us.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Seeing Burnley celebrate did not help

I always hoped Burnley would slip up and the Boro game would be a love in with both teams promoted, fair play to Dyche and the team though, they ground out the results and that is what is required in this division.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Was feeling a little down. The fact that I live not far from Burnley, know a lot of Burnley fans and have had to congratulate them hasnt helped...
But then I woke upthis morning and remembered one thing...
With a fair wind behind us and a stroke of luck or two...
WE CAN STILL GO UP AS CHAMPIONS! :albion2::bhasign::rave::clap2::albion:

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Was feeling a little down. The fact that I live not far from Burnley, know a lot of Burnley fans and have had to congratulate them hasnt helped...
But then I woke upthis morning and remembered one thing...
With a fair wind behind us and a stroke of luck or two...
WE CAN STILL GO UP AS CHAMPIONS! :albion2::bhasign::rave::clap2::albion:

That's the attitude.

Sad to see fans like [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] feeling flat.

I look at it this way. It's Boro that will have their heads messed with. We go into the game knowing we have to win. They go in unsure as to whether to attack or defend.

Add to the fact that nobody rates us and we're deemed to be the under-dogs and I'm happy with that.

The boys know what they need to do and it will all be fine.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Feeling slightly better this morning after last nights drunken over reaction to the draw.

I guess in essence, little has changed. Before yesterday's game we needed 4 points to guarantee promotion. The equation is still the same, just that the remaining 3 points we need have got just that little bit harder to get.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
In August - would we have taken "win the last game to be automatically promoted"?

HELL YES we would.

It's all to fight for. A cup final. Anything can happen.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Feeling slightly better this morning after last nights drunken over reaction to the draw.

I guess in essence, little has changed. Before yesterday's game we needed 4 points to guarantee promotion. The equation is still the same, just that the remaining 3 points we need have got just that little bit harder to get.

I woke up feeling slightly pleased that the last month or so of football-related wonder was now behind me and I finally start to focus on other things for the next few days.

It's now 11am and I've made it no further than NSC.

I still feel flat though.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I woke up feeling slightly pleased that the last month or so of football-related wonder was now behind me and I finally start to focus on other things for the next few days.

It's now 11am and I've made it no further than NSC.

I still feel flat though.

That's the spirit. Get absorbed in the world of hysteria, negativity and over reaction coupled with over confidence, misplaced trust and Olympic levels if optimism

What could possibly go wrong?

As am aside, pity to have missed you in the cyclist but at least I got a snog from [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here