Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton City reaches for the sky in bid to reverse its ‘lost decade’ of neglect

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
There is little doubt however that the Historic Dockyard saw a huge uplift in numbers because of the Spinnaker and Gun Wharf development. When Portsmouth City Council explored developing the wharf, they knew they needed an icon to be a visual indicator of the regeneration. The tower is now as much a marketing tool whose image features on every bit of Portsmouth marketing, websites, literature etc. The Dockyard in turn has seen a big upturn in numbers because of this and in return has been able to reinvest in its own offering. These developments are not in isolation, it was a long term strategic plan by Portsmouth that has paid off. They were talking about all this when I was studying there through the '90's.

We had the year tickets too, and it proved great value.

Completely agree, the developments at Gunwharf have transformed Portsmouth. However, you could argue that the city centre (Commercial Road and that area) has suffered from being completely overlooked.

I think what makes Gunwharf so popular is the shopping outlets, as well as the Cinema/Bars. The shops seem to attract far more people than the actual Tower itself.

It's a shame when you look at how busy Gunwharf Quays is every weekend, and compare it to the absolute pile of sh*te at The Marina, which has ample space to replicate it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Always the very best architecture is built with funds that might be better served somewhere else, there is always somewhere else with a claim on its funding, but within reason at times you need to be slightly more imaginative than filling in pot holes and upgrading traffic signs.

Armchair

Mar 3, 2009
I was waiting for this comment. It's exactly this type of comment, and person, which causes so much stagnation.

I'm sure you were! Why is it that many comments on this Board immediately become the subject of a personal attack? How do you know what type of person I am, you know absolutely nothing about me.Perhaps you could expalain.

Because people prefer to make new development which blends with some features of architectural heritage does not make things stagnate, nor are they 'nimbys'. Take the redevelopment of St Pancras Station for example, would you have preferred it was completely demolished or redeveloped as it has been keeping some of the lovely old architecture blending that with ultramodern new design?

I am rather at you surprised given your apparent affection for Germany who have a great tradition of preserving their wonderful old buildings alongside modern development.

Anyway, enjoy your traditional currywurst and chips and a Happy New Year to you. :) :cheers:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The West Pier should have been sorted out long long before that. It should never have been let to degrade to the state it was shut in the first place.

I went on it as a kid, and it was fantastic. It wasn't quite as garish as the Palarse Pier, although even then (60s) it had a slight whiff of doom about it. Costs to maintain it, and that. Shortsighted . . . .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There is little doubt however that the Historic Dockyard saw a huge uplift in numbers because of the Spinnaker and Gun Wharf development. When Portsmouth City Council explored developing the wharf, they knew they needed an icon to be a visual indicator of the regeneration. The tower is now as much a marketing tool whose image features on every bit of Portsmouth marketing, websites, literature etc. The Dockyard in turn has seen a big upturn in numbers because of this and in return has been able to reinvest in its own offering. These developments are not in isolation, it was a long term strategic plan by Portsmouth that has paid off. They were talking about all this when I was studying there through the '90's.

We had the year tickets too, and it proved great value.

Pompey didn't really have anything else to use as a marketing tool though. We have the Pavilion, (had) 2 piers, Victorian arches, a Marina, an iconic station and so on. Any one of these could have been an image as part of a marketing campaign here could they not?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
That's the concern raised in the article you posted:
"Others are horrified. Some locals say the height of the “doughnut on a hotdog sausage” will give planners more leeway to approve high-rise development that could lead to neighbouring Hove looking like Las Vegas"
Yeah I read the article.
I'm just surprised that anyone could think that Hove currently resembles Vegas in any way, which is what you posted.
I don't see it at all.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I am going to get funding to build a Hove themed hotel in Vegas - could be a winner. Dog racing track instead of slots, miles of grass verge, hotel bars like drinking dens with an obligatory 70s/early eighties albion player in each one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm sure you were! Why is it that many comments on this Board immediately become the subject of a personal attack? How do you know what type of person I am, you know absolutely nothing about me.Perhaps you could expalain.

Because people prefer to make new development which blends with some features of architectural heritage does not make things stagnate, nor are they 'nimbys'. Take the redevelopment of St Pancras Station for example, would you have preferred it was completely demolished or redeveloped as it has been keeping some of the lovely old architecture blending that with ultramodern new design?

I am rather at you surprised given your apparent affection for Germany who have a great tradition of preserving their wonderful old buildings alongside modern development.

Anyway, enjoy your traditional currywurst and chips and a Happy New Year to you. :) :cheers:

I thought you meant compliment as in similar architecture. You have explained you didn't so sorry for my incorrect inference. I do indeed support the sort of new/old architecture you explain.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Brightonians always overate their town.

It's Hastings, just a bit bigger. No different to any other shit British seaside resort .

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
After reading the article I also read the comments and this one summed up my reaction to it pretty well -

"I wonder who put you up to write this article? British Airways? The developers of the proposed new residential tower in Hove? The I360? Or those in line to become the developers of the King Alfred site? This is an appalling piece of journalism, littered with subjective assumptions, endorsed by those with historic and current vested interests, when in fact many of these assumptions have still to be tested and approved, in both the public and political arena. Many Brighton residents, in fact, don't agree that more tall buildings are needed in a crowded city bounded by the sea. They certainly didn't agree with the truly banal Frank Gehry proposal, which fortunately was killed off by the financial institutions once the recession struck. The fact that complex partnerships are required to develop new buildings in the city should be no excuse for significant and fundamental lapses in the determination of architectural quality, or the enabling of totally inappropriate development. What's important is the effective curation of Brighton's unique 'sense of place'."

Why,for example, do we need to let the seafront arches go as they, as the comment says, are part of Brighton's unique sense of place. I welcome new development but prefer it to complement our existing architectural heritage.

More important though is how we support and upgrade our infrastructure to support these new developments. Our streets are already in disrepair, we have one hospital that is creaking at the seams, our road systems and parking cannot support the existing volume of traffic, we have no decent park and ride facilities for visitors. Yet our Council are talking 30,000 new homes and millions more visitors being attracted. It seems to me that those elected to manage our city, of whatever political flavour, are more interested in projects which result in self aggrandizement rather than a better environment for their citizens. Of course we need to encourage business, development and employment, but lets get the balance right.

Spot on.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'm surprised that anyone could think Hove could look like Las Vegas.

Not exactly Vegas but there are already 2 relatively high-rise blocks planned for Davigdor Road which are far higher than anything else in the surrounding area and which threaten to look completely out of proportion to the existing buildings. Presumably that's the tip of the iceberg.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Brighton nightlife has suffered in recent years, as stated in previous threads. The majority of nightclubs in the city appear to be generic nowadays. Imagine there are certain factors to consider, including the economic downturn and club owners wanting to just please the young student crowd. Offering a similar experience across the board. On the flip side, i guess the pubs in and around the city centre have no doubt benefited from this.

Just a side-note, aside from the architectural discussion.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here