Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any chance of a new Brighton fanzine???

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Running TSLR was a lot of work for little reward, I am amazed they kept it going as long as they did. I helped sell it at the ground and wrote a few pieces too. The last cover was spot on for me as a seller "Is that the programme, mate...". {Answer: no it's £2.50 cheaper mate...}

Big up to Stef and Sam for all their hard graft over the years.

PG

Surely most of the contents are available on the internet free. I used to buy gulls eye as there was no other form of news about the club other than John Vinnicombe. As regards programs I go to the club sites and download their squad with numbers for each game, again this is free.
Fanzines aren't about information. They are about writing - and should be judged on the quality of that writing.

TSLR passed my test. I'd encourage anyone who is thinking of starting a new one to ask themselves only two questions:- Who is going to write for it? And are they any good?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fanzines aren't about information. They are about writing - and should be judged on the quality of that writing.

TSLR passed my test. I'd encourage anyone who is thinking of starting a new one to ask themselves only two questions:- Who is going to write for it? And are they any good?

There's a third question: who is going to sell it?

Because selling it, and missing out on the pub pre-match with your mates, is the biggest hassle when in the fanzine game, particularly if you're unlucky with the weather. Boxes of fanzines are heavy, too.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There's always room for a printed fanzine and many clubs still have them although its getting increasingly harder...

However all tribute to Sam and Stef for keeping TSLR going for as long as they did. Finding writers/photographer who were happy to share/write pieces for free, get them to contribute on time every month, turn and edit that into a attractive 32 page zine (layout, cover, illustrations, photos, and author many pieces themselves), pay a printer, pick up deliveries, sell online and crucially for hours before and after home/away matches in person is a massive commitment in terms of cost but mostly time.
Good luck to anyone else who wants to take that on and i'd hope the good people of NSC would be able to give them the support they might need.

there's a little piece about TSLR history here
http://theseagulllovereview.blogspot.co.uk/p/about.html
and this is interesting post about how TSLR and many other football zines get to be printed.
http://theseagulllovereview.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/ink-and-paper.html

NB: I wrote for TSLR a few times so declaring an interest.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
There's always room for a printed fanzine and many clubs still have them although its getting increasingly harder...

However all tribute to Sam and Stef for keeping TSLR going for as long as they did. Finding writers/photographer who were happy to share/write pieces for free, get them to contribute on time every month, turn and edit that into a attractive 32 page zine (layout, cover, illustrations, photos, and author many pieces themselves), pay a printer, pick up deliveries, sell online and crucially for hours before and after home/away matches in person is a massive commitment in terms of cost but mostly time.
Good luck to anyone else who wants to take that on and i'd hope the good people of NSC would be able to give them the support they might need.

there's a little piece about TSLR history here
http://theseagulllovereview.blogspot.co.uk/p/about.html
and this is interesting post about how TSLR and many other football zines get to be printed.
http://theseagulllovereview.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/ink-and-paper.html

NB: I wrote for TSLR a few times so declaring an interest.

Is there any need for an Albion fanzine when we can go through your post match buzzfeed ?

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Massive respect to Sam and Steff for an excellent fanzine.

When they first approached me for advice the first thing I said - to reiterate Chailey Jem's point - was how much time it takes.

I often got a train from Brighton to Goring with a floppy disc containing just a single 300-word article on it for Scars & Stripes!

Technology has made it a little easier but it still takes up a hell of a lot of time and producing a 'zine requires dedication, commitment and, dare I say, proper affection for the club.

There is always room for a quality fanzine and I hope someone grasps the nettle.

It's a young man's game now though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here