Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Jan 30, 2008
Massive meltdown today as the reality really starts to hit home for the last chance saloon gang, hang on tight folks it's going to be emotional
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
Yes, Sainsbury are more expensive than most supermarkets. But if they weren't competitive, they'd be out of business. Regardless, his point was that Sainsbury's would be even more expensive if they didn't have the purchasing power that their size offers. Do you understand yet?

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, sorry. :shrug:

ALWAYS HAD YOU DOWN AS A WAITROSE TYPE ???

regards
DR

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Like who?
Do you honestly believe that the UK will get better deals alone? What customers are you considering and how long before these deals are enacted?

Care to give me the single biggest opportunity we are currently missing attached to the world's biggest trading block?

Christ on a bike, you're beyond help. Well over half of our exports are to the EU which currently attract no tariffs whatsoever:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_largest_trading_partners_of_United_Kingdom

The trade-off for our exports being ultra-competitive for 55% of our current export market is that we can't unilaterally decide to make deals elsewhere. Note, nobody is stopping us actually trading with other countries, it's just that we can't make our own trade deals.

And you're moaning that this isn't a reasonable trade-off? Christ. I think there are valid reasons for leaving the EU (a lack of democracy and accountability, for example) but this one is an absolute crock of shit and reeks of British arrogance.

It prevents us from "seeking and doing" deals that would *inevitably* be on significantly poorer terms than those negotiated by the "club" on behalf of all its members (and which, as it happens, still tend to favour the bigger members of the "club", like the UK). A deal negotiated by the EU has the combined heft of the world's biggest trading bloc behind it. Thus our trade with 56 countries from within the EU is on better terms than would be available to a country roughly 10-15pc of its overall size.

I think that if there were indeed a "club" for middling-sized businesses which allowed them to trade globally on the same terms as multi-nationals, middling-sized businesses would be queuing up to join.

I remember having quite interesting discussions with you about Brexit until recently, but I'm afraid this is quite a demeaning place you've ended up.

From pages of complete whataboutism to the point where you said that you wanted 'no deal' but you had no idea of what the economic impact would be 'as I'm not an economist' it's been months since we've seen a sensible post from you.

It doesn't exactly put you in a strong position for sitting sniping from the sidelines which is sadly what you've been reduced to.

Wow - the remainers are grumpy today ! All these angry replies to a throwaway comment made in reply to a pretty poor analogy. #chillguys

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I cant believe I have just done this but a single tin of Heinz backed beans is currently cheapest from Sainsburys, here is an embed image for you so the internet goblins don't get you if you go and have a look yourself. On this basis they seem very competitive ???

View attachment 101366
Ah the old comparing 1 item across all supermarkets trick.
Nobody will fall for that, I much prefer to have the point proven by comparing random blue tins across a few supermarkets.

If the finding were written on the side of a bus, I'd go all in.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Some of them certainly come across as that.

"poor analogy"

Yep, IMO .... clearly not yours.

and you haven't actually justified your own daft comment.

The clue was in the phrase 'throwaway comment' ..... I have no intention of justifying such a minor post. Clearly by the amount of reaction it's rattled some people but, once again, IMO I don't understand why ..... nor care.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Some of them certainly come across as that.
You quoted five posts, none of which are remotely grumpy.[/QUOTE]

The clue was in the phrase 'throwaway comment' ..... I have no intention of justifying such a minor post. Clearly by the amount of reaction it's rattled some people but, once again, IMO I don't understand why ..... nor care.
There was no clue. What you said was utterly ridiculous and you're fooling no-one by pretending to be above it all. You seem happy enough to justify minor posts when plooks is the target. This time, you're clearly not doing so because you can't. It was a shit comment.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Again, that explains why people may have voted Leave at the time. Not why, in the face of overwhelming evidence that it was a terrible idea, so many refuse to admit they got it wrong.
'It is easier to fool someone than to convince someone they have been fooled'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
as I said it's meltdown time , the reality is eating them up and there's nothing they can do about it , THEY WERE SMUG BEFORE THE REFERENDUM BUT THEY'RE GUTTED NOW
regards
DR

In fairness that's tough to argue with.
Dodgy Dave's default setting throughout the whole farce was 'smug', (although I think he was born like it) and now the majority are gutted.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Wow - the remainers are grumpy today ! All these angry replies to a throwaway comment made in reply to a pretty poor analogy. #chillguys

Well my post certainly wasn't angry, just a little sad that there is becoming very little discernible difference between your posts and those of Pretty pink fairy/Two profs :(

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Massive meltdown today as the reality really starts to hit home for the last chance saloon gang, hang on tight folks it's going to be emotional
regards
DR

You're not in the last chance saloon yet, but you're getting close. Your heroes have come up with nothing new since last December, and even that it seems you didn't read the small print.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here