Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Who is America? (Sacha Baron Cohen)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The county I live in is near a medium sized city which voted Democrat. However, America’s problems are not new they have just been exacerbated by the recent past, the fact white people will be the minority in the next 30-50 years and people feeling marginalised. This does make it scary to some people. America as a whole is just an idea, a new idea. As history teaches us every empire throughout time has fallen - America is no different. It is just a matter of how, when and what will be left.

Not many indigenous people left to dispute that they are a new idea. Strange that the immigrants are worried about the future not being white. Stranger too to hear of an American Empire.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patreon
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Absolutely superb last night and frightening in so many ways.....

I was utterly shocked when Georgia state representative Jason Spencer shouted out the unspeakable..........

SBC slapped him straight down saying that was a disgusting word.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/07/who-is-america-recap-season-1-episode-2.html

Got the locals talking about it. https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/ga...ial-slurs-dropping-pants-in-tv-show/796135154

Spencer is old news as he lost a run off for reelection to an 18 year old.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Absolutely superb last night and frightening in so many ways.....

I was utterly shocked when Georgia state representative Jason Spencer shouted out the unspeakable..........

SBC slapped him straight down saying that was a disgusting word.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/07/who-is-america-recap-season-1-episode-2.html

How did he get Dick Cheney on there? 'did you get upset when people prefer Bush over Dick?'...'Can you sign my water bottle I use for water boarding'....Cheney seemed to be lapping up the enthusiasm!!

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
I thought it was excellent and these yanks will never learn to overcome how not to be gullible
The Artist was f##king brilliant [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
This is so right. When I first met my future American family I was asked if we had colour television in the UK. I could not help myself and told them, ' Well we do but it involves using tracing paper which we colour in as the show goes on.' THEY BELIEVED ME!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
This is so right. When I first met my future American family I was asked if we had colour television in the UK. I could not help myself and told them, ' Well we do but it involves using tracing paper which we colour in as the show goes on.' THEY BELIEVED ME!
Please tell us that this was only about ten years ago or less. [emoji23]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I think sometimes no matter how ridiculous the statement someone makes, the tendency is for americans to suspend their disbelief in front of you, and just be "nice". But rest assured behind your back, they'd have been making the old cuckoo gestures.

Cohens conversation last week in the Trump supporters house over dinner, where he was talking about making his daughter "bleed on the flag" - I don't think either of them believed him for a second, but they kept up the pretence so as not to be rude.

I'm pretty sure Cohen gets his characters called out pretty early doors in a lot of his interviews - but that doesn't make for good TV, so those aren't the ones we ever get to see.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Mine asked me if the Irish, Scottish & Welsh were allowed to vote and were under the impression we banned them from voting in general elections, I replied by saying sadly that's a lie, but a damn good idea.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

often Americans just ignore British sarcasm which Brits often interpret as them not getting it. Sure thats not the case in your case but I do find it happens a lot.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I think sometimes no matter how ridiculous the statement someone makes, the tendency is for americans to suspend their disbelief in front of you, and just be "nice". But rest assured behind your back, they'd have been making the old cuckoo gestures.

Cohens conversation last week in the Trump supporters house over dinner, where he was talking about making his daughter "bleed on the flag" - I don't think either of them believed him for a second, but they kept up the pretence so as not to be rude.
Hang on. That's what we do isn't it? The British way of politeness, not wanting to offend and stiff upper lip. The yanks can't have that, it's OURS.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Note to self
Never go to Arizona.
Even though I am white.

It is actually a really nice part of the country, however peoples attitudes are pretty much like the show.
I even met some Mexican Nazis in Phoenix, who saved me from getting turned over by some straight edge kids at a gig.

Wonderful country, I love the craziness of it all.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

I'm pretty sure Cohen gets his characters called out pretty early doors in a lot of his interviews - but that doesn't make for good TV, so those aren't the ones we ever get to see.

sorry missed this post but 100% correct.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hang on. That's what we do isn't it? The British way of politeness, not wanting to offend and stiff upper lip. The yanks can't have that, it's OURS.

Welll....us Brits put up with a lot of shit without complaining or making a fuss. We'd rather a problem just went away without any drama, so at worst we'll roll our eyes and tut (but not TOO loudly).

Americans are just nice. Even if you're being a complete bellcheese, they'll smile and try to be accommodating without being confrontational, before cheerfully advising you to take care and have a nice day.

These are maHOOsive generalisations of course. But in my own personal experience, Americans are amongst the most generous, accommodating, good natured, open and hospitable people I've encountered on my travels.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As seen on Twitter:

Barman in Nashville: "So who's your team then buddy ?"
Customer: "Crystal Palace"
Barman: "Where are they from ?"
Customer: "Croydon"
Barman: "What state is that in ?"
Customer: "Not great, to be honest".

:lolol: