Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] dealing with depression

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Depression--something many Aussie, Nigerian, Peruvian, etc. fans have to deal with this morning since their national teams have been knocked out of the WC.

Naughty boy for posting that! There will be people far more qualified than me along soon to , at the best politely advise you not to compare depression with being pissed off! [emoji6]

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Naughty boy for posting that! There will be people far more qualified than me along soon to , at the best politely advise you not to compare depression with being pissed off! [emoji6]

Think of when England was knocked out of the WC in past tournaments. My most pressing emotion was depression the next day because that is when it really sinks in after the anger is over.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Think of when England was knocked out of the WC in past tournaments. My most pressing emotion was depression the next day because that is when it really sinks in after the anger is over.
What you are describing is feeling depressed. Not the condition of depression.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
And if you have been feeling depressed about other things in your life couldn't having your national football team getting knocked out of the WC cause you to fall into the condition of depression?

There is always the possibility of a tipping point. But in isolation, getting knocked out of the World Cup isn't depression.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear. I read your article link which I liked. I then saw the link I posted which deals a lot with the terminology.

No need to apologise. Sorry I wasn't clear either. I was just acknowledging the relevance of your link.

On a seperate note things can happen during the course of a day which plunge you suddenly into the depths of depression and despair. Today has been such a day for me since my post this morning when I felt relatively ok, albeit with things bubbling under the surface as always. I'm currently in a very bad place and hating the world and its injustices. Somethings are just too out of your control no matter how much you do to try and change things for the better and fight for what you believe in but there's too much nastiness in this world and for some reason it's always permitted to thrive even when there are those in positions who have the power to stop it but are too complacent to bother. I dont know why i'm sharing this. Perhaps its helped a little and gives me a little break from banging my head against a brick wall (sometimes literally). When i read other peoples' posts like this I'm always sympathetic, empathic and understanding (although I rarely express it), but when I read my own words I think I just come over as an attention seeking whiner so I'll stop now. Should I delete or post? Delete or post? Oh what the hell..

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No need to apologise. Sorry I wasn't clear either. I was just acknowledging the relevance of your link.

On a seperate note things can happen during the course of a day which plunge you suddenly into the depths of depression and despair. Today has been such a day for me since my post this morning when I felt relatively ok, albeit with things bubbling under the surface as always. I'm currently in a very bad place and hating the world and its injustices. Somethings are just too out of your control no matter how much you do to try and change things for the better and fight for what you believe in but there's too much nastiness in this world and for some reason it's always permitted to thrive even when there are those in positions who have the power to stop it but are too complacent to bother. I dont know why i'm sharing this. Perhaps its helped a little and gives me a little break from banging my head against a brick wall (sometimes literally). When i read other peoples' posts like this I'm always sympathetic, empathic and understanding (although I rarely express it), but when I read my own words I think I just come over as an attention seeking whiner so I'll stop now. Should I delete or post? Delete or post? Oh what the hell..

This particular thread on NSC is life enhancing, and the derailers soon get shooed away, so go for it. :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Hi.

Before your next post, if I may, I'd like to comment.

Remember, depression is a 100% legitimate illness. In that state, it's as if a dark, miserable cloud hangs over all your thoughts. You and all other sufferers need help, your entitled to and deserve that help, so seek it and you will eventually find a happier self.

Then regarding the nastiness and evil in the world, you will need to take a giant step back from that, until you are well again. Spending mental energy in despair at uncontrollable events in the wider world, can wait. Then you make more of an impact for the better, that you would imagine. But your number one concern now can only be dealing with your depression and getting happier.

All the best.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

your posts never sound like an attention seeking whiner at all! Ever!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i have always been able to shrug my moods off and dispel them in the knowledge that everything is temporary , had the odd spell where i didn't want to get out of the pit for days but just did it .....having just been diagnosed with prostate cancer i am now spinning out ....i have a fantastic wife and 2 beautiful kids and i am shitting myself .....worse than my darkest mood but in a strange way i've never felt more alive .....very strange headspace i'm in right now, not depressed , something else.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
There is always the possibility of a tipping point. But in isolation, getting knocked out of the World Cup isn't depression.

Agreed. When we get knocked out of the World Cup I will be depressed, disappointed and possibly angry. For the following few days I will be quite upset, miserable and deeply pissed off. But then I'll get over it. I would certainly never say "I've got depression"; that would be hugely insulting to all the people with genuine problems who've posted on this thread (and others).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here