Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Labour voters are political dimwits...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And it assumes that intelligent people always vote intelligently. One of the (otherwise) cleverest people I know voted Leave in the referendum, so it goes to show that he isn't intelligent all the time ...

Not going to fall into the trap of commenting on the second point (I know it's at least partly tongue in cheek) but you're spot on with the first. Also, you've just made me think of another scenario that queers the pitch. I'm a Tory but I voted Caroline Lucas for lots of reasons and many of them not political per se - I think she's honest, she's principled, she's a bloody good local MP and I think politics is a better place with her in it. I know I'm not the only one so where does that go in the stats?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not going to fall into the trap of commenting on the second point (I know it's at least partly tongue in cheek) but you're spot on with the first. Also, you've just made me think of another scenario that queers the pitch. I'm a Tory but I voted Caroline Lucas for lots of reasons and many of them not political per se - I think she's honest, she's principled, she's a bloody good local MP and I think politics is a better place with her in it. I know I'm not the only one so where does that go in the stats?

I've always voted labour (unless 'tactics') and have been a member, but I deplore Jezza; and yet I am stragely pleased at his success in the popularity polls. I loath Militant and fear that Momentum is a reincarnation. But I can't be sure. I accept that as leader Jezza has the right (indeed obligation) to tinker with party rules to serve his purpose (only a clown would create rules that work against the pursuit of one's core beliefs; as Milliband did, the oafytitwomble :facepalm:). One of my favourite ever politicians was George Walden. I deplore the omnishambols that is the current tory party and the current Brexit landscape. But I have no time for the European super state, which allows MEP Farrage the chance to trouser more money than our PM - to do **** all for anyone; an even more flatulant extravagance than we give IRA Adams for his Westminster parliamentary 'expenses'.

In the next election, like you, [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION], I will cast my vote carefully, based on how I view the local candidates' pitch. :thumbsup:

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Blimey, Labourites must be delighted at Newsnight tonight. It was almost like a promotional party political broadcast!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think most voters are political dimwits"... I`m sure I am probably considered a "political dimwit".. Could you tell me what level of political education you need to not be considered "Political Dimwit".

and can you explain to this dimwit how 45% of Labour Voters are average and 60% are much below average even forgetting the rest we have 105% of labour voters!!!

Because of the number of people who are considered to have an average political knowledge 45% of these people will vote labour and 42% will vote conservative. The % are exclusive to the category of political knowledge and not cumulative

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I'd be interested to know how you measure political knowledge. Awareness of institutions and procedures? awareness of policies? knowledge of ideologies? Maybe if I need someone to distill the essentials of dialectical materialism or the works of Ayn Rand I should head for Chelmsford.

The survey tested participants’ political knowledge by asking them whether eight statements about politics were true or false.

Statements included ‘the unemployment rate in the UK is currently less than 5%’; ‘the chancellor of the Exchequer is responsible for setting interest rates in the UK’ and ‘the minimum voting age for UK general elections is now 16 years of age’.

The number of correctly answered questions was then used to define the level of a person’s political knowledge.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I hear nothing from Tory supporters about what is good about the Conservative party. What they are doing well? How they are going to improve the current sh!t storm we are in. The only thing I hear is Labour supporters are thick, that Jeremy Corbyn is a terrorist sympathiser, a Marxist, that only people who vote labour want free things.

This may come as a bit of a shock to Tory supporters but the people I know that voted labour in the last election are not thick or students looking for a free ride. Some own their own business. I have a high level degree and work in a very well paid job as do many I know. The one thing that will not make me change my mind about supporting labour is being insulted or fear tactics and the doom predictions of what will happen if labour get in to power.

There is nothing in the labour menifesto that would help me personally. Just because I don't need help, does not mean I don't realise there are thousands struggling that do. Maybe I should not give a toss, because that just makes me a snowflake leftie loon

What would make me change my mind is a positive alternative, but all I read is fear, hate and insults. That does not work for me.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I hear nothing from Tory supporters about what is good about the Conservative party. What they are doing well? How they are going to improve the current sh!t storm we are in. The only thing I hear is Labour supporters are thick, that Jeremy Corbyn is a terrorist sympathiser, a Marxist, that only people who vote labour want free things.

This may come as a bit of a shock to Tory supporters but the people I know that voted labour in the last election are not thick or students looking for a free ride. Some own their own business. I have a high level degree and work in a very well paid job as do many I know. The one thing that will not make me change my mind about supporting labour is being insulted or fear tactics and the doom predictions of what will happen if labour get in to power.

There is nothing in the labour menifesto that would help me personally. Just because I don't need help, does not mean I don't realise there are thousands struggling that do. Maybe I should not give a toss, because that just makes me a snowflake leftie loon

What would make me change my mind is a positive alternative, but all I read is fear, hate and insults. That does not work for me.

Some would say it comes from political views and a Brexit stance. Politics is becoming acrimonious. Why? Activism. Out of control and certainly non democratic.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And it assumes that intelligent people always vote intelligently. One of the (otherwise) cleverest people I know voted Leave in the referendum, so it goes to show that he isn't intelligent all the time ...

Well, that's your (I'm so far up Brussel's ar8e that I think anybody who 'disagwees' with me is an absolute ****) view. On the other hand, he is intelligent; he has voted leave........try and draw a rational and logical conclusion from that. Life has hard lessons sometimes.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I've always voted labour (unless 'tactics') and have been a member, but I deplore Jezza; and yet I am stragely pleased at his success in the popularity polls. I loath Militant and fear that Momentum is a reincarnation. But I can't be sure. I accept that as leader Jezza has the right (indeed obligation) to tinker with party rules to serve his purpose (only a clown would create rules that work against the pursuit of one's core beliefs; as Milliband did, the oafytitwomble :facepalm:). One of my favourite ever politicians was George Walden. I deplore the omnishambols that is the current tory party and the current Brexit landscape. But I have no time for the European super state, which allows MEP Farrage the chance to trouser more money than our PM - to do **** all for anyone; an even more flatulant extravagance than we give IRA Adams for his Westminster parliamentary 'expenses'.

In the next election, like you, [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION], I will cast my vote carefully, based on how I view the local candidates' pitch. :thumbsup:

You know something. I used to almost think the same. Jeremy Corbyn came to prominence around the same time as I first started coming on this site and I believe everything that he believed in I have always been a ''Corbynista'' in my political beliefs. I saw posts from [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] in particular on here and he truly believed Corbyn was electable. At that point I didn't because I thought he was a dismissible Politician because I thought people didn't care enough about others in life.

I was wrong. People do care about others.

Normally I wouldn't say this about people like Ernest because he is often too extreme in his views but I think this time he may have backed the 100/1 outsider long before anyone ever knew that the 100/ 1 outsider was capable of winning the race.

And he is capable of winning that race . I never thought I would ever say thiseither but I have learned something from [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION]. In terms of politics.

He knows jack shit about football but his Politics could be about to take off here in the UK. Sorry Ernest :)

As a footnote. Come the next Election. There is gonna be someone who is very famous who will produce the best Promotional Advertising that Labour could only dream of producing. And Labour themselves do not even know it is going to happen.

Oh and the famous person is not linked to football in the slightest

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I vote for Caroline Lucas for exactly the same reasons even though otherwise I'm a lifelong Labour voter. What is especially relevant to this thread is that I regularly receive invitations to take part in YouGov polling and their questions appear to take no account of the possibility that anyone might broadly support one party yet vote for the candidate of another, either for the reasons you mention, or any others, such as tactical ones. And here we all are, discussing results thrown up by polls whose model isn't sophisticated enough to encompass what thousands of people in Brighton Pavilion have done at recent general elections.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Well, that's your (I'm so far up Brussel's ar8e that I think anybody who 'disagwees' with me is an absolute ****) view. On the other hand, he is intelligent; he has voted leave........try and draw a rational and logical conclusion from that. Life has hard lessons sometimes.

While you're taking the bait, I'm tempted to mention the people who are even more intelligent than him who voted Remain, but let's not bother this time.

talk2knighty

Dec 26, 2014
You know something. I used to almost think the same. Jeremy Corbyn came to prominence around the same time as I first started coming on this site and I believe everything that he believed in I have always been a ''Corbynista'' in my political beliefs. I saw posts from [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] in particular on here and he truly believed Corbyn was electable. At that point I didn't because I thought he was a dismissible Politician because I thought people didn't care enough about others in life.

I was wrong. People do care about others.

Normally I wouldn't say this about people like Ernest because he is often too extreme in his views but I think this time he may have backed the 100/1 outsider long before anyone ever knew that the 100/ 1 outsider was capable of winning the race.

And he is capable of winning that race . I never thought I would ever say thiseither but I have learned something from [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION]. In terms of politics.

He knows jack shit about football but his Politics could be about to take off here in the UK. Sorry Ernest :)

As a footnote. Come the next Election. There is gonna be someone who is very famous who will produce the best Promotional Advertising that Labour could only dream of producing. And Labour themselves do not even know it is going to happen.

Oh and the famous person is not linked to football in the slightest

HB&B defecting? Btw cool story bro!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If labour get in it would be the dumbest result ever. Nasty anti Semitic morons. Yet they just shrug it off. Nasty.

I can assure you 'they' do not. I look forward to further installments of your insight. :facepalm:

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I'm not sure it comes down to intelligence, but more whether or not one believes that political promises can be fulfilled without negative consequences.

Labour voters understandably were attracted by JC's spending plans. Who doesn't want more money spent?

However, Tory voters argued that these plans could not be funded. Every financial decision has a knock-on effect, and financing plans by taxing corporations will back-fire if those corporations decide to move to another country.

For me it comes down to whether you believe a plan is workable. A lot of Tory voters are older and remember the economic climate of the 1970s.

Maybe that's why the party is called Conservative?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
My take on that graph is that people with degrees are more likely to vote Conservative than any other party. No shock there.

and that the higher the level of your education the less likely you are to vote UKIP (who are they?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here