Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
If anyone is interested (& before I stick it on eBay), I am selling my 2016 Giant Contend 2 for a couple of hundred quid now Ive taken delivery of the Orbea. Would make a great winter commuter / training bike...size 56cm. DM me if you want more info!

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If anyone is interested (& before I stick it on eBay), I am selling my 2016 Giant Contend 2 for a couple of hundred quid now Ive taken delivery of the Orbea. Would make a great winter commuter / training bike...size 56cm. DM me if you want more info!
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] might be interested, although normally he only wants a bike when he's watching Le Tour, I don't think he did this year

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] and [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] you are proper gentlemen. Thank you so much for your offers.

So now, adding a race cable to the new chain set and front derailleur, the chain ring change on a shakedown was like a bullet being fired. Nearly made me swear. Commuting tomorrow, so will know if its sorted nice and early.

I take it you're ok for a bike?
If not I can get mine to Brighton Station on Saturday, if that helps you out.

The BBC has the weather forecast as pretty much spot on, fingers crossed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Going by Moto’s ride on Strava yesterday he’s sorted it.

That'll save the kids from riding to Brighton Saturday morning.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yeah, I'm back in the game thanks. The new cable is so spot on the fella didn't need to tweak it.

Good luck with the ride Moto.

Does the route take in Cob Lane as well do you know? If so, I'd look forward to your assessment of that one as I'll be doing it next month as part of the Mid Sussex Hillier Audax.

P.S. Keen to hear what Stat has to say about it too , what with it being one of his locals.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Does the route take in Cob Lane as well do you know? If so, I'd look forward to your assessment of that one as I'll be doing it next month as part of the Mid Sussex Hillier Audax.

P.S. Keen to hear what Stat has to say about it too , what with it being one of his locals.
Only ridden it a couple of times and I don't think I've actually ridden it!

I've always been in the wrong gear at the bottom and not been able to make the adjustment in time.
It's an absolute bitch, but back in the day I've ridden steeper, I just can't get up that.

Oh and no Moto won't be going that far bEast.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

Cob lane short steep and sweet.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

I've always been in the wrong gear at the bottom and not been able to make the adjustment in time.
It's an absolute bitch, but back in the day I've ridden steeper, I just can't get up that.

Cob lane short steep and sweet.

Ok thanks. Sounds very similar to Butts Brow and Bo Peep over here. Rode Butts Brow again last week and it didn't feel any easier than the first time I did it :-(

This Audax also has Kids Hill on it, among others, but I was a bit meh when I rode Kids Hill before to be honest.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm guessing, 10, you'll not be coming at Cobb Lane from our direction which is a shame.

Turning right south of Ardingly takes you up Hammingden and Highbrook Lane which is a great climb, one of my favourites locally.
You then loop around west Hoathly and come hammering down Hook Lane.
I think that's my problem, I've enjoyed the climb and descent, then I think to myself 'hang on Cobb Lane', and at that point it's too late.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

What’s that climb near/north of Petworth. We’ve both done it. That’s the hardest climb in this country I’ve done.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok thanks. Sounds very similar to Butts Brow and Bo Peep over here. Rode Butts Brow again last week and it didn't feel any easier than the first time I did it :-(

This Audax also has Kids Hill on it, among others, but I was a bit meh when I rode Kids Hill before to be honest.

I remember it well, you thought I was joking!!!

Cobb Lane couldn't be any more different.
I'm sure I make it harder than it actually is, but it's still bloody hard.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone know what that Kung Fu intro to ITV4's Vuelta coverage is all about? All a bit weird. Almost as bad as the female Chris Horner on the Zwift advert.

I think I must be missing the Spring Classics big time as today's stage win by Jelle Wallays excited me more than anything else in the race so far, and that's not for one minute saying the race has been dull at all, as it hasn't. Fingers crossed Simon Yates can hang in there over the next two days.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What’s that climb near/north of Petworth. We’ve both done it. That’s the hardest climb in this country I’ve done.

Do you mean north of Midhurst?

Bexley Hill.

Steep, flatter, steep, then 20% finale.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I remember it well, you thought I was joking!!!

Cobb Lane couldn't be any more different.
I'm sure I make it harder than it actually is, but it's still bloody hard.

That's good to know then, as you were indeed spot on about Kids Hill :thumbsup:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] and I once stumbled upon Cobb Lane by accident. We had to turn back and descend to the bottom,, get in the lowest gear and try again. We got up to the top but it was a ****ing horrible hill

I’ve done it three times, never on purpose.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That’s the bugger. You get your hopes up, and then it bites back.
I always, ALWAYS, get a van either following me or coming towards me in the last 100 yards.
All I can breath in is burning clutch. :lol:

See I've never had a problem with Bexley, beyond the blindingly obvious.
I can only think that having the steepest section of Cobb Lane at the start is my downfall, (pun intended).

Oh and talking of Bexley, my friend Colin (who often rides there) today, in his Pyrenean 10 Cols a day for 10 days challenge, did:-
Distance 123.13 mi
Elevation Gain 17,963 ft
Time 11h 22m :ohmy:

As said you'll find him on my Strava, some great photos.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bloody hell.

I'm currently stopped at my cake cafe in Ferring having ridden back, along the coast, from Devil's Dyke.

I worked my goolies off when I spied another rider in front.
Finally caught him and took a moments shelter from the headwind.

We started working together from Lancing through Worthing, until I found out where he was going.

Uckfield to Southampton, headwind all the way. :ohmy:

I did longer turns on the front!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here