Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Serbia v Switzerland (BBC)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The VAR decision was amazing. What a load of shite.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That double rugby tackle looks worse and worse with every showing. For every one decision VAR gets right it seems to get another two wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FIFA seem to be turning a blind eye to these (Kane x 2), yet are very interested in Kyle Walker's arm.

I wish they would clarify, at least.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wish I was a 'heavy' as some on here think Shaqiri is heavy.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
That last goal:

The Serbian CB & Keeper collide with studs up whilst the muscled dwarf beautifully dinks the ball in and peels off for the yellow inducing strip show!

Sublime.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I wish I was a 'heavy' as some on here think Shaqiri is heavy.

Yep. I assume his shirt off celebration was partially borne from the 'fat' criticism he gets. As you say, I would love to be that sort of 'fat'.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Twice today, betting on a late, late goal has paid high dividends, a marvellous World Cup for stuffing the bookies.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Dangerously close to getting his old feller out. I’m sure a stray pube was poking out of his shorts too. Sublime footballer but he looks like a permanently annoyed garden gnome

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Dangerously close to getting his old feller out. I’m sure a stray pube was poking out of his shorts too. Sublime footballer but he looks like a permanently annoyed garden gnome

A gnome. Strangely appropriate for a Swiss person.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
FIFA seem to be turning a blind eye to these (Kane x 2), yet are very interested in Kyle Walker's arm.

I wish they would clarify, at least.

forget the VAR, how the hell are the ref and linesmen missing them? and not just these incidents, some of the physical contact is outraguous. but then freekicks are given for a glancing touch to an trailing leg. seems if you try to tackle and miss, freekick, man handle the player off the ball, ah well.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
forget the VAR, how the hell are the ref and linesmen missing them? and not just these incidents, some of the physical contact is outraguous. but then freekicks are given for a glancing touch to an trailing leg. seems if you try to tackle and miss, freekick, man handle the player off the ball, ah well.

Come the knock-outs - VAR will **** England so hard that the ‘hand of god’, various penalty shoots-outs & ‘Lampard’s 1m over the line’ will pale into insignificance and be lost in the mists of time. All we’re be talking about will be this upcoming VAR controversy for decades. Mark my words. VAR is coming for us!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Come the knock-outs - VAR will **** England so hard that the ‘hand of god’, various penalty shoots-outs & ‘Lampard’s 1m over the line’ will pale into insignificance and be lost in the mists of time. All we’re be talking about will be this upcoming VAR controversy for decades. Mark my words. VAR is coming for us!

Was coming here to post exactly this. You know full well a slight shirt tug from one of ours will result in a penalty and a red card, yet all in wrestling has been allowed repeatedly this World Cup.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'm gut wrenchingly sure that you're right. Thing is though, everyone blaming VAR seems to be forgetting that in the end, it's still a decision by a ref (or refs).

It's never going to be a magic bullet and that decision on the double wrestling take down just proves that refs still get things totally wrong. It's not having more views/opinions of an incident that's the problem, it's how the views are seen and how the opinions are decided.

Basically we'll still get ****ed over however many refs are looking at it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
More rubbish from VAR.

Rather the ref just makes mistakes than this.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk
That was a lot worse than either of the Kane appeals. Piss poor from VAR
If there wasn't VAR, the decision would have been the same as it was.

Yes VAR should have corrected the mistake, but VAR didn't cause the mistake, and indeed the only way we stand a chance of eliminating such mistakes is with VAR.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach

Yes VAR should have corrected the mistake, but VAR didn't cause the mistake, and indeed the only way we stand a chance of eliminating such mistakes is with VAR.
Or in the back of his mind is the ref thinking I am not sure, let's see what VAR picks up....

Maybe calls by the ref would be different, if not in this case, then others.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Or in the back of his mind is the ref thinking I am not sure, let's see what VAR picks up....

Maybe calls by the ref would be different, if not in this case, then others.
Yes that's possible, but it shouldn't be the case, as they're told to make the decisions as they see fit. If he gave the penalty, but was wrong, VAR could fix that, so no need for him to think it's a penalty, but ignore it. Just like the when the ref gave a penalty when Neymar went down in the box - then he used VAR to overturn it.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003

I think we like mistakes

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Yes that's possible, but it shouldn't be the case, as they're told to make the decisions as they see fit. If he gave the penalty, but was wrong, VAR could fix that, so no need for him to think it's a penalty, but ignore it. Just like the when the ref gave a penalty when Neymar went down in the box - then he used VAR to overturn it.
We've also got linesmen told not to raise their flag for offside unless they are sure....leave it to VAR

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think we like mistakes
The two main reasons I remember people being against VAR before it arrived were:
1) It will slow the game down, with stopping and starting.
2) It will remove the debating decisions in the pub.

Well 1 hasn't happened, and it looks like there's still plenty to debate, as some decisions are marginal. I love it.

We've also got linesmen told not to raise their flag for offside unless they are sure....leave it to VAR
Slightly different to that I think - they shouldn't immediately raise their flag unless sure, but if a goal is then scored, they can then raise their flag even if not sure - so yes, it will get checked by VAR, but what they've avoided is incorrectly raising their flag and stopping play before the ball crosses the line. The perfect option IMO.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here