Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Protests by certain groups like this are allowed to happen because the police generally support the views.

A March by brexiteers would no doubt be flanked by riot shielded police tapping their batons in chorus whilst looking rather sinister. I remember the countryside alliance March which was made worse by the feds and their smash em up attitude.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

The Feds! :lolol:

Did the Sheriff round 'em up and run 'em outta town? :lolol:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
C4 news reporting the Tories could have broken election law during their campaign. Once a mistake, twice is ???

Ignoring the telephone preference service, I'm sorry but only the Tories

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Sorry but I just don't get how a call for the general public to take to the streets to oust the party that gained the most seats in an election and replace them with a party that had the 2nd highest number of seats is Democratic .

Would you prefer that the top 2 parties nominated 100 of their hardest supporters to an East european type field fight where the winner gets to form the government ?

Then you're not a democrat -- as [MENTION=805]Kalimantan Gull[/MENTION] indicates, there are all sorts of protests, but to prevent them (or prevent some of them, with the possible exception of those that are bent on violence and attacking minorities) constitutes an attack on democracy.
So, given that you're not a democrat, come clean: what are you?

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
if McDonnell is calling for a protest to force the conservatives out of government, that is not democratic. we had our say earlier in the month, and we can protest, demand change of opinion and direction, but not force change of government. that's revolution, which of course and old Marxist like McDonnell believes is the way forward.

I couldn't really give a toss about what McDonnell says or wants, what I care about is protecting and promoting the right of people to act in concert, which is what democracy is all about. I'm unsurprised that you think it's something else.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I couldn't really give a toss about what McDonnell says or wants, what I care about is protecting and promoting the right of people to act in concert, which is what democracy is all about. I'm unsurprised that you think it's something else.

you were responding to a comment that highlighted McDonnell call for people to take to the streets to force the conservatives out, and you challenged that, claiming its just right to assembly. lets be clear, i'm all for allowing protest, i'm not for using protest as a cover to incite revolt. where do you stand, do you condemn or condone McDonnell's call?

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Then you're not a democrat -- as [MENTION=805]Kalimantan Gull[/MENTION] indicates, there are all sorts of protests, but to prevent them (or prevent some of them, with the possible exception of those that are bent on violence and attacking minorities) constitutes an attack on democracy.
So, given that you're not a democrat, come clean: what are you?

Hey if you want to take to streets and protest because labour lost then please do .

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
you were responding to a comment that highlighted McDonnell call for people to take to the streets to force the conservatives out, and you challenged that, claiming its just right to assembly. lets be clear, i'm all for allowing protest, i'm not for using protest as a cover to incite revolt. where do you stand, do you condemn or condone McDonnell's call?

Again, I don't give a toss about McDonnell, and that's not I'm referring to, I'm referring to the general right to protest, to assembly and to association, and claim that this has to be promoted to the hilt in modern (representative) democracies. There's a place for revolution, after all, your lot got here through revolutions, but it's not something I want to fetishise and, in the current situation, there are probably more preferable and less bloody and difficult processes to bring about change.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Hey if you want to take to streets and protest because labour lost then please do .

No, I don't want to take to the streets to protest because Labour lost, but I do want to take to the streets to demonstrate my solidarity with the people (dead and alive) of Grenfell Tower, and to express outrage that we (although I'd implicate you and [MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION] in this far more than me) have created the conditions in which this could happen.
But if this means that you've rapidly conceded that the right to protest, assembly and association is OK and pivotal to modern democracy, then things really are looking more positive.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Again, I don't give a toss about McDonnell, and that's not I'm referring to, I'm referring to the general right to protest, to assembly and to association, and claim that this has to be promoted to the hilt in modern (representative) democracies. There's a place for revolution, after all, your lot got here through revolutions, but it's not something I want to fetishise and, in the current situation, there are probably more preferable and less bloody and difficult processes to bring about change.

yet the point was specifically about McDonnell and his call to use protest to force out the elected government. saying "dont give a toss about McDonnell" when he is the subject of debate is just evasion. you could simply condem his call, but i get it you do support this cause, dont dress it up as democracy when its trying to circumvent the election we just had.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
No, I don't want to take to the streets to protest because Labour lost, but I do want to take to the streets to demonstrate my solidarity with the people (dead and alive) of Grenfell Tower, and to express outrage that we (although I'd implicate you and [MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION] in this far more than me) have created the conditions in which this could happen.
But if this means that you've rapidly conceded that the right to protest, assembly and association is OK and pivotal to modern democracy, then things really are looking more positive.

Not sure how I and [MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION] have created the conditions that allowed the Grenfell Tower disaster to occur but if you believe that then by all means do what you think you must .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here