Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yaya Toure

luge

Dec 18, 2010
I think his comments came after a wider discussion of Ballon d'or winners : and he wasn't angry about it - it was part of a philisophical discussion (that lasted 90 mins- much more than your average football interview).
It is a view that is quite common in the black footballing community however.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Surely if it was down to being Black, none of us would have heard of Pele, but we all have based on his ability as a player.

Toure has one big chip on his shoulder

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think his comments came after a wider discussion of Ballon d'or winners : and he wasn't angry about it - it was part of a philisophical discussion (that lasted 90 mins- much more than your average football interview).
It is a view that is quite common in the black footballing community however.

But a view which is largely held to be erroneous in all other communities

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
He said: "If you go to any part of Africa now, people will say, 'yes, we know him [Messi]', but when you come to Europe and say 'Yaya Toure' people will say, 'who is that?' Some will say they know my name but not know my face. But they will know Messi's face."

Yaya is a great footballer. But he's also a prat.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Toure is miles better than Gerrard, but Gerrard might get the English journos vote.

Gerrard is miles better than Toure but he might not get the English journos vote.

robynsdad

Jan 29, 2012
What's all this about then? Saying himself and players like Drogba don't get enough praise as they are seen as 'animals' due to their race.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27074317

Was he drunk when he gave this interview? ???

Hang on - where does he say anything about being seen as 'animals'? Not in the BBC interview as far as I can see? Have I missed something?

Also, people seem to missing a couple of points: first that his comments are actually responding to (and agreeing with) comments originally made by Samir Nasri - and second that he doesn't actually mention 'race' as far as i can see (yet everyone is putting words into his mouth and saying he is turning it into a 'race' thing?)

What he (and Nasri) says is that African players players do not receive the recognition the deserve. I don't feel qualified to say whether he is right or not, (and there is certainly a whiff of sour grapes in what he says) but that is different from saying he doesn't receive recognition because of his race.

As an African player (as opposed to European, Brazilian etc, of whatever colour) it's unlikely that you will be spotted and hyped at an early age, and you may also not get as much exposure from playing for your national team. Thus i would say the possibility is certainly there that an African player may not receive as much recognition as an equivalent from Europe or South America. as i say - I don't know if it is true, but a different discussion from simplistic assumption he is talking only about 'race'.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I was about to post a very similar comment (to the one above from Robyn'sDad).

Last edited:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Hang on - where does he say anything about being seen as 'animals'? Not in the BBC interview as far as I can see? Have I missed something?

Also, people seem to missing a couple of points: first that his comments are actually responding to (and agreeing with) comments originally made by Samir Nasri - and second that he doesn't actually mention 'race' as far as i can see (yet everyone is putting words into his mouth and saying he is turning it into a 'race' thing?)

What he (and Nasri) says is that African players players do not receive the recognition the deserve. I don't feel qualified to say whether he is right or not, (and there is certainly a whiff of sour grapes in what he says) but that is different from saying he doesn't receive recognition because of his race.

As an African player (as opposed to European, Brazilian etc, of whatever colour) it's unlikely that you will be spotted and hyped at an early age, and you may also not get as much exposure from playing for your national team. Thus i would say the possibility is certainly there that an African player may not receive as much recognition as an equivalent from Europe or South America. as i say - I don't know if it is true, but a different discussion from simplistic assumption he is talking only about 'race'.

He says it in this interview which the bbc have edited for some reason, it was indeed a whiny , chip on his shoulder whinge. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...not-human-beings-Im-not-rated-Im-African.html

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

That is as maybe, however it still feels we are being given a lecture about the challenge of poverty by a Tory.......

http://www.therichest.com/sports/so...ghest-paid-african-soccer-players-of-2013/10/

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Then you'd have been as wrong as he was.

Well, the BBC didn't mention the 'animals' comment. Seems strange that they edited it out. Robynsdad is still right that Yaya was referring to Africans as opposed to blacks in general.

African footballers aren't particularly well represented by our media. Sub-saharan nations are talked about as if they're a homogenous mass and journalists seem to have a very limited vocabulary to describe African footballers. Especially at the world cup when the pundits and journos aren't familiar with all the players. Think of the adjectives used: powerful, athletic, pacy, unpredictable, tactically naive. Rarely, intelligent, crafty etc.

Other nations/regions are also stereotyped but perhaps not to the same extent. Usually the narrative at the world cup is the brave, morally-upstanding English against the sneaky, cheating foreigners.

I'm sure you'll disagree but that's my tuppence worth.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Well, the BBC didn't mention the 'animals' comment. Seems strange that they edited it out. Robynsdad is still right that Yaya was referring to Africans as opposed to blacks in general.

African footballers aren't particularly well represented by our media. Sub-saharan nations are talked about as if they're a homogenous mass and journalists seem to have a very limited vocabulary to describe African footballers. Especially at the world cup when the pundits and journos aren't familiar with all the players. Think of the adjectives used: powerful, athletic, pacy, unpredictable, tactically naive. Rarely, intelligent, crafty etc.

Other nations/regions are also stereotyped but perhaps not to the same extent. Usually the narrative at the world cup is the brave, morally-upstanding English against the sneaky, cheating foreigners.

I'm sure you'll disagree but that's my tuppence worth.
yes toure did refer to Africans rather than blacks in general, but we both know full well that he meant blacks rather than the Arab nations, I'm sure you'll disagree but that's my two pennorth.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
yes toure did refer to Africans rather than blacks in general, but we both know full well that he meant blacks rather than the Arab nations, I'm sure you'll disagree but that's my two pennorth.

I fully agree that he was referring to black, sub-Saharan Africans. But not black Brazilians, French, Belgians or English.

robynsdad

Jan 29, 2012
He says it in this interview which the bbc have edited for some reason, it was indeed a whiny , chip on his shoulder whinge. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...not-human-beings-Im-not-rated-Im-African.html

Fair enough. There was nothing in the link provided (to the BBC report) by the original post which is why I questioned it and asked if I'd missed something (I'll take anything reported by the Daily Mail with a pinch of salt though - I reserve that right as a lefty liberal Guardian reader). I would agree with Bakero about broader perceptions of African football(ers) and would prefer to think that was the broader point Nasri at least was making.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
[

And I'm sure plenty of people are exploited. I just think they're exploited because people can make money out of them, not because of their colour.[/QUOTE]

Exactly this ..sport is a job where you will be exploited in some way or another regardless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here