Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should any of the under 23's get into the squad for the last 3 matches ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If - and only if - we're safe (by which I mean actually safe, not the 'I-am-a-f**kin'-genius-clairvoyant-and-I-guarantee-we-are-safe-even-though-there-are-still-four-teams-that-can-catch-us' sort of safe) after this weekend I would love to see a couple of the U23s on the bench for the last two matches, with a genuine chance of getting a few minutes on the pitch at the end of he game.
Not to start - the general consensus seems to be that none of them are ready to displace a first-teamer yet; although you never really know if someone can make the step up until they get to try.
If it's still in the balance going into the Citeh and 'Pool games, then sorry lads - wait until next season!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Because, impressive as they've been, they've been turning over fellow inexperienced 20 year olds: something of a step down from Kevin De Bruyne, Mo Salah and, er, Jesse Lingard.

Maybe if we're safe, Hughton might pick Walton on the bench at Anfield, given that Wigan's season will already be over and Krul is unlikely to get a new contract (surely). But I doubt he's suddenly going to launch a load of DS players into the limelight.

Normally when you take a player on a season long loan you cover the period of play offs aswell just in case.That would rule him out anyway if that is the case.

Nobody ready yet to play but could have a couple on the bench.

Quote from Chris Hughton..
“I certainly wouldn't close my eyes to any of those players becoming very much part of the squad.

"There probably isn't one that I see breaking into our first team at the moment, but there are certainly ones that can be around the squad. We'll make all the decisions around that."

so ,no , dont look like he thinks anyone is ready yet..full article here.. https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2018/april/hughton-under-23-work-has-been-outstanding/

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
If any are included I would like to see Manadriou or Sanders on the bench as cover for midfield and possibly Bjordal or even Gykores instead of March if we are safe. None of them, to start though.

I would like to see Manadriou because his free kicks are on point regardless of the opposition and Gykores because he looks the real deal. Its a shame we may not be safe enough to do it in the last few games.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
CH doesn’t work like that. He’ll pick the strongest squad available to him for each match.

As Edna has said, the U23s have done well but only against Championship under 23s plus a couple of West Brom outcasts. We want 9 points from our last 3 matches

:lolol:

I'd hate to have been your parents at Christmas.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I don't think you can play the DS players against Liverpool and Man City but if we can get safe on Friday against Man United I think you need to consider the fringe players in the last two matches in order to see whether or not they should or could be here next season

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
CH doesn’t work like that. He’ll pick the strongest squad available to him for each match.

If the end of season is over perhaps. He picked James Tilley who was 16 in the last game of the 2014/15 season after safety had been secured a few games back but in 15/16, 16/17 - we had important run-ins to say the least. .
If he needs to , he'll bring the u23s into the squad - 19 year old Max Sanders, captain of the u23s squad, was in the cup squad for Man Utd. Earlier in the season Jayson Molumby was on the bench for Arsenal, Everton and West Ham.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't think you can play the DS players against Liverpool and Man City but if we can get safe on Friday against Man United I think you need to consider the fringe players in the last two matches in order to see whether or not they should or could be here next season

Is probably the right answer.

Possibly one on the bench. Perhaps Cox for Suttner or Bjordal for Solly, but not both.

It really is a massive step up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If we win on Friday, the U23s would do a better job in the remaining fixtures than any partying beach dwellers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here