Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No poppies on the shirt !

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Do you not feel that that this statement is just that shade simplistic? I think your point may be valid for 1914, when experience of war fought on an industrial scale was limited, and so thousands volunteered to bash the hun, or whatever,and be home for Xmas. Could that also be said for those then conscripted in 1916, or more so for those conscripted to fight against Hitler? Most soldiers on every side in the world wars did not choose to "be trained as killers," as you put it.
You are right in that the leaders did seem to treat human life with little care, with repeated orders given for suicidal frontal charges, but I can't see how you can then link it to glorification of war on poppy day. It is always a sombre occasion with emphasis on remembering those who died - perhaps immediately after WW1, when memories were raw, there may have been a jingoistic element to the day, but I really don't feel that you can say that now.
I do agree that the folk who say they died for our freedom should not then moan when others exercise their right NOT to wear one -there is an inconsistency. You can choose not to wear one and still care -they are not mutually exclusive.

Soldiers of today CHOOSE to be soldiers whereas the first ww they were feed lies and propergander to join up (and lets not forget the army chamged its "must have a moustache to join" ruling just so underage boys could fight and be killed after there wasnt enough men left).
As for gloryfy thats just what they are doing, how much different would the world be if we lost the ww1, noone knows but this country is a mess and always has been why wear a poppy which shows support for war (the money going to ex squaddies of today who chose to be in the army , killed people in our last war got hurt and now apparently are heroes!)and a so called "great" nation that has repeatedly been lead by maniacs that put us in the position of having a war and yet people in this world still die of starvation etc with no help. The last war was a joke the government said "saddam hussian is taking awayhis people's freedom" yet there are many african countries where they are having real oppression and cruelty but nothing is done.........if the price of mangos becomes as precious as oil we would send "the boys" out there in a flash

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I know a lot who've served in afghanistan and Iraq, I don't know any who joined up so they could be"trained as killers" or came home "expecting to be heroes" , your view is so shortsighted its beyond belief, you absolute tosspot :tosser:

Im sorry did they all join up to learn flower arranging or how to do cross stitch? ? The army arent trained to be killers or kill people? The army dont kill people?? Nice mentality you have aswell whats next "if you say anyfink bad bout britan im gonna find ya and kick ya ead in"

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
I like seeing the poppies at the Royal Albert Hall commemoration event and have been impressed by the poppies at the Tower of London. I was part of the remembrance service at my church yesterday and the children made poppies out of tissue paper in Sunday school which looked beautiful at the foot of the war memorial. Personally, I don't feel the need to wear one. It's no big deal, really.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Nothing says respect for the fallen more than a Tesco pizza. Classy and tasty.

k3u0li.jpg

Tastes like........freedom.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Im sorry did they all join up to learn flower arranging or how to do cross stitch? ? The army arent trained to be killers or kill people? The army dont kill people?? Nice mentality you have aswell whats next "if you say anyfink bad bout britan im gonna find ya and kick ya ead in"

I think alluding to a perceived lack of literacy and intelligence on my part was a mistake from someone who uses the spellings 'propergander' and 'gloryfy'...........bellend. :tosser:

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I think alluding to a perceived lack of literacy and intelligence on my part was a mistake from someone who uses the spellings 'propergander' and 'gloryfy'...........bellend. :tosser:

So you result to insults amd picking up on bad spelling, yeah you truley have a point Ill wear a poppy now! Youve won the argument

I type this all on a old phone and sometimes I press wrong buttons or maybe I do have a problem with spelling I wonder do you have a problem about people who cant spell?? I mean in spelling something to ridicule someone about? Do you insult and call names to people with dyslexia for instance? Do you want a country that bullies people who are born different or not of the same standard of intelligence or lliteracy as you? Isnt that what the other side in ww2 wanted aswell

Last edited:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
All the poppy (not even a symbol for the British originally) represents is the fact that you have donated money to the RBL charity. If you want to remember, go to a remembrance service. If you dont want to wear a poppy...dont....surely thats a freedom that people have died for, despite what some nitwits want to promote.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
So you result to insults amd picking up on bad spelling, yeah you truley have a point Ill wear a poppy now! Youve won the argument

I type this all on a old phone and sometimes I press wrong buttons or maybe I do have a problem with spelling I wonder do you have a problem about people who cant spell?? I mean in spelling something to ridicule someone about? Do you insult and call names to people with dyslexia for instance? Do you want a country that bullies people who are born different or not of the same standard of intelligence or lliteracy as you? Isnt that what the other side in ww2 wanted aswell
Part of your reply to my post was a sentence deliberately full of glaring spelling mistakes and implying that I'd start to issue threats for the simple fact that you disagree with me, I won't deny I've issued threats in the past , but ONLY after posters have been personally insulting , you tried to play to the usual NSC crowd and came unstuck because you have the spelling and grammar of a nine year old, its really quite simple, if you can't take it, don't dish it out.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Same old, same old, every year. A mix of people with differing views being told they must justify their position, being insulted and getting PMs from the same usual suspects.

FWIW I think that whether people wear poppies or not, go to remembrance services or not, or observe the minute's silence today should be a solely personal decision, justifiable to no-one.

I disagree strongly with poppies on cars, pizzas etc and believe that poppies on football shirts was the beginning of this slippery slope. If professional footballers want to wear poppies they should wear them on their civvies, in their own time. They shouldn't have to wear them (or have to decide not to wear them) because they are part of their kit. I believe that the act of remembrance is in the head and heart, not on the clothes.

And no, i'm not going to tell anyone whether i wear a poppy or not, that is entirely my decision.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here