Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Scam Calls

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I just say I don't own a computer seems to work with no follow ups for a while.

Simple rule don't fill a form on line IF you have not requested it from a proven source.

I had a home and work line and received simultaneous calls from the same set of scammers , I think I confused them by saying they need to talk to the owner of the computer and proceeded to the handsets together. Not sure if it worked but felt good.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Got a call a couple of months ago. "My name is George Edwards and I'm calling from BT". Told him "Your name is not George Edwards and to stop lying". Obviously he got deeply offended by that, because when I put the phone down he called back again, this time with a different name. I said "See your lying, now please **** off and leave me alone". He must of called about twenty times after that, each time using a different name. In the end I had to the plug out and left it an hour, and finally the calls the stopped.

Feel sorry for old people, they can easily be duped by these people. Nothing we can do about it either, they now register UK numbers, and when you call that number back it goes dead.

They dont and dont need to register UK numbers, you can display any CLI you want at network level. I could call you from yourself should I know your mobile (or any other) number

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Just lately I've had a couple of calls where nothing was said and one where the caller was really struggling with the Queens English . You could hear someone prompting him. When I'd finished I dialed 1471 heard a feasible number being said back but whèn I pushed 3 I got the reply the number you have dialled does not exist. They're getting wise / clever to our phone system.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Caller: “I heard you’ve been in an accident that wasn’t your fault?”
Me: “that’s right!”
Caller: “can you tell me what happened?”
Me: “I had an accident at sea”
Caller: “can I take some more details?” (Caller normally gets excited at this point)
Me: “absolutely, I boarded a large ship in 1912 which hit an iceberg and.....(caller hangs up somewhere between the beginning and the middle of sentence leaving be annoyed that I don’t get to finish my fun)

Morvangull

Oct 19, 2010
Bognor Regis
I had a pre-recorded message supposedly from BT yesterday saying my IP address had been compromised. Told them it was them trying to compromise my computer and they rang off. Reported the telephone number and what was said to phishing@bt.com.

Jul 7, 2003
The last week I've blocked these numbers:

0203 3156 4652
0116 302 8272
01525 621648
0116 0300 672

I've had a couple of calls from 0116 numbers recently with nobody on the other end. Seems to be the latest area they are calling from.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Bad luck, we can all be caught off guard and it's never anyone's fault but the criminal's. Do yo bank online? First thing I do if I receive any kind of notice from my bank is look online at my account summary to see if there is anything unusual. I also receive any notice like that in the post and my bank knows I won't act on anything like that until I have it in written form.
You just cannot be too careful. I would also press the bank for that £50, I bet if you went in again and spoke to the branch manager they would do a goodwill payment.

I think I was caught out that time because I knew I was low on funds in the bank, if I had more money (enough to cover the direct debit) I would have been suspicious. I’ve had another look at the original email and it has scam written all over it.... bad grammar, a Japanese source, they just caught me at the right moment when I had other stuff on my mind. I’ll take your advice though and speak to the bank again tomorrow and hooe they’ll refund me because this has dropped me right in it financially.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Much to Mrs P'a annoyance, I've simply given up answering our landline at home now. If it is someone I know who wants to speak to me they will have my mobile, and if its a genuine business type call they will leave a message.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Just pretend you've got tourettes, that'll sort them, won't get a word in at all!!

On a serious side, I never answer any calls, that are not on our contact list.

Are you either a tenant or landlord?

I have a awful time with tenants.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Yep, had lots of these; Microsoft, BT, Openreach, etc.

Sometimes I ask them for the IP address of their computer that's getting all my error logs [they phaf around the question].
Sometimes I gasp in amazement and ask "which BT/Microsoft office do you work in?" [they never say - coz they don't] - I then say I work in head office on the 4th floor and they should pop round for a chat.
Also tried the "I don't have a computer" and the "which computer, I have eight on the premises" - foxes them.

But the one I heard on the radio this week, I've yet to try. You ask them for the code-word to enable you to speak - almost like you're a secret government organisation - "Please confirm code word to continue conversation" - they don't have one obviously ...
So [in a very authoritative voice say: "No code word will activate the seek and expose protocol with counter terrorism" - that'll make 'em feck off sharpish ...

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I have asked them in the past if they keep themselves fit, normally gets a bit of a confused answer so i clarify and ask them if they exercise. Have gotten a 'yes' several times.

To which I respond that its good because then they won't have any trouble going and f***ing themselves then. Then hang up to not let them get the last word in

P1ssed one guy off so much he spent the next hour trying to call me. Volume down on phone and i didn't notice it.

Very satisfying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here