Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] When is a pop group no longer a group?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Culture Club are interesting here. 37 years with the same 4 man line up.
Although they now seem to have become "Boy George and Culture Club"

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
many bands are defined by a single character . . . Cure, Motorhead being 2 good examples. lose that and its gone

However many great bands are just a well balanced team . . . it is entirely possible to recreate the same passion, sound and atmosphere with what is effectively a dep . . . . I saw the Who as a teenager with Kenny Jones drummimng, they were great . . . later, with Zak Starkey, arguably better, as he played more like Moon ( having been taught by him) Entwhistle on the other hand is a harder act to follow/copy. . . It's certainly not the who any more.

Paul Weller has changed his band considerably over nearly 30 years . . . still Paul Weller though ( although Steve White is by far the best drummer )

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Culture Club are touring soon and have been the same 4 man line continuously since 1980. Nearly 38 years.!!
Who can beat that ?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Crosby stills and Nash, on and off for 50 years. Madness for over 40, although Mike Barson took a sabbatical for a few years

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Culture Club are touring soon and have been the same 4 man line continuously since 1980. Nearly 38 years.!!
Who can beat that ?

U2 - same line up since 1978.
ZZ Top - same line up since 1970.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
It's often (but not always) the front man/vocalist who defines a group, but my other criterion is whether they have a strong enough group persona to put out new music with a replacement band member. If they can't create anything new that people will buy, then they have lost the essence of what they are.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
It's often (but not always) the front man/vocalist who defines a group, but my other criterion is whether they have a strong enough group persona to put out new music with a replacement band member. If they can't create anything new that people will buy, then they have lost the essence of what they are.

Very good observation. However, I'd also throw into the mix of that great theory that the prevailing musical trends can play a huge part.

By way of illustration I would give the example of my favourite band Iron Maiden. The 90's weren't kind to them due to the departure of guitar/ songwriter Adrian Smith and the charismatic multi talented vocalist Bruce Dickinson. However, also very pertinent was that their old school metal was no fashionable and the grunge revolution was in full swing. It did not help that the two albums recorded with replacement singer Blaze Bayley were poor and in the live setting if struggled badly. However, in late 1999 grunge had faded and Smith and Dickinson returned to the fold and the next minute they were headlining Rock in Rio in front of 250,000. Since then they have almost had a second coming with a procession of No.1 albums and being able to regularly sell out arenas and stadiums throughout the world.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here