Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stoke and Copeland Matchday By-election Thread

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Peston highlighted earlier that it's an odd scenario where Labour holding two seats they've held for ages would actually be seen as a success. Stoke one is interesting, the recent UKIP furore can't have helped at all.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Peston highlighted earlier that it's an odd scenario where Labour holding two seats they've held for ages would actually be seen as a success. Stoke one is interesting, the recent UKIP furore can't have helped at all.

I think people will see UKIP as irrelevant from now on and would expect an exodus back to the Tories. UKIP simply can't reimage itself, it talks about the patriotic voice of the working class whilst having individuals on their executive committee with quasi-libertarian beliefs.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Any value in 2/1 for the Labour double?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I think people will see UKIP as irrelevant from now on and would expect an exodus back to the Tories. UKIP simply can't reimage itself, it talks about the patriotic voice of the working class whilst having individuals on their executive committee with quasi-libertarian beliefs.

Which it never has been. They aimed for the gullible and struck gold/yellow/purple. Farage is an evil c>nt who's done very well to ruin the UK but he's an intelligent evil c>nt whereas new UKIP Nuttles is a wet prat, and less backed than Farage. I'm no fan of Labour but I hope they win both today.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Conservative candidate for Copeland is local, works for the largest employer, ticks all the boxes, if there is going to be a gain for anyone, it's there.

UKIP might well be looking for a third leader fourth leader in six months, should come close but don't think they will do it and it is against a very weak Lab candidate.

Bet on a Copeland Conservative gain.

If Labour lose both its all over for Corbyn

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So am I. Which one do you think they'll lose?

the obvious one is to lose Copeland. however this weather makes for an interesting if left-field option, they hold onto Copeland as bad weather is normal for Cumbria, and lose narrowly in Stoke to Tories as Labour and UKIP a like stay at home.

though as you say, really shouldn't even be discussing Labour losing either seat.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Which it never has been. They aimed for the gullible and struck gold/yellow/purple. Farage is an evil c>nt who's done very well to ruin the UK but he's an intelligent evil c>nt whereas new UKIP Nuttles is a wet prat, and less backed than Farage. I'm no fan of Labour but I hope they win both today.

Nice language, yet you deride UKIP, priceless.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Labour’s candidate ( for today's Stoke by- election) is Gareth Snell, who hates Brexit. How much does he hate it? A few months ago he said it was a ‘massive pile of shit’. Stoke had one of the highest Brexit votes in the country: 69.4 per cent of people cast their ballots against the EU. Snell thinks they voted for a ‘massive pile of s***’.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Labour’s candidate ( for today's Stoke by- election) is Gareth Snell, who hates Brexit. How much does he hate it? A few months ago he said it was a ‘massive pile of shit’. Stoke had one of the highest Brexit votes in the country: 69.4 per cent of people cast their ballots against the EU. Snell thinks they voted for a ‘massive pile of s***’.

Absolutely, but he still might very well beat UKIP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Bets / Predictions to laugh at later:

Copeland:

Conservative Gain, 44 % of the vote
Labour 23%
UKIP 16%

Stoke

UKIP Gain 27.5% of vote (reckon it will be won by under 500 votes)
Labour 27% (therefore Labour to lose both)
Cons 25%
Lib Dems 8.5%

Turnout to be lower in Stoke than Copeland (34.5% to 43%)

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Conservative candidate for Copeland is local, works for the largest employer, ticks all the boxes, if there is going to be a gain for anyone, it's there.

UKIP might well be looking for a third leader fourth leader in six months, should come close but don't think they will do it and it is against a very weak Lab candidate.

Bet on a Copeland Conservative gain.

If Labour lose both its all over for Corbyn

With you on Copeland and Nuttall well for me there is something "not right" whether you like Farage or not (?) there is something about the guy that some people will buy into. Actually think Labour will hold Stoke Central. As for Corbyn Momentum will keep him as leader.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If Labour lose both Corbyn's position has got to be untenable.

pfft, this wouldnt change anything, his position is already untenable for a leader of the party of opposition, he cant command the confidence of his own parliamentary party.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
You could be correct, after seeing some of the predictions on here, who knows.

I suspect that it would have been a different result if Farage had run.

For it's sins Labour does have a large activist base that can push the party over the line in a close contest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here