Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern railway train service tonight

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Six hours to watch 51 minutes of football. It is only 12 miles each way.

5 miles and I would cycle even though the route is awful.

It took you six hours? Three each way? Without, say, stopping for a pint or dawdling. I call BS.

We left Portslade on the 6.00 and were in the ground by 7 (caught the 6.38, the last non-disrupted one). On the way home - despite clapping off the team to the end and all our kids needing the loo before we left the ground - we managed the 22.17 (delayed) from Falmer, got straight on to a Hove service and changed there immediately. Even if you take the time the game finished as the start point of the return that's an hour over and 90 minutes home. Two and a half hours.

You're still bitter there's no ground at Pende aren't you Andy, you mentalist.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
For southern to not find cover for the staff last was unforgivable given that they knew in advance there was a well attended game on. They should be made to answer for it.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I never trust the trains, particularly for evening kickoffs.

Always reckon on being in the queue by 6:30, and by chance yesterday was there by 6:20 and luckily just missed the misery.

I know some people can't leave work etc early, and for them I feel really sorry.

I expect exactly the same Train Pain on Tuesday, and will be in the queue by 6:15 next time.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
There is no point in having a go at other fans , the Club or any other means of getting to the ground. there is only one culprit, one that I read about lateness and poor service every day, and that is Southern Rail. When the Club asked Southern Rail early enough in proceeding if they needed to delay kick off Southern Rail said they could sort it in time.
There should be a massive refund on it's way to the Club from Southern Rail.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Also, delaying kickoff would have caused a 70 minute fire drill as trains back can be a nightmare as well on weeknights.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Also, delaying kickoff would have caused a 70 minute fire drill as trains back can be a nightmare as well on weeknights.

Certainly true. A few around me left on 85 minutes. With us winning 5-0 they should have stayed and applauded every player off but who can blame them for leaving early when the train service is so shockingly bad? The players must be baffled.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
There is no point in having a go at other fans , the Club or any other means of getting to the ground. there is only one culprit, one that I read about lateness and poor service every day, and that is Southern Rail. When the Club asked Southern Rail early enough in proceeding if they needed to delay kick off Southern Rail said they could sort it in time.
There should be a massive refund on it's way to the Club from Southern Rail.

Agree. Also as per usual the lack of communication at the station was appalling. I felt sorry for the staff not one manager or anyone in charge. I can't understand the self righteous people on this thread almost blaming fans for being late when as you say it is quite simply Southern Rail at fault

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Certainly true. A few around me left on 85 minutes. With us winning 5-0 they should have stayed and applauded every player off but who can blame them for leaving early when the train service is so shockingly bad? The players must be baffled.

Should'nt you be oiling up those zeuslike legs or something ?

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Ok so half an hour is cutting it fine but

we were on the platform by 7.25.
the next train (4 carriages) arrived at 8.03
this train parked up and we had to wait for the next (4 carriage) train to pull in

Almost an hour between trains on a football night. Sorry simply not good enough

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
It took you six hours? Three each way? Without, say, stopping for a pint or dawdling. I call BS.

We left Portslade on the 6.00 and were in the ground by 7 (caught the 6.38, the last non-disrupted one). On the way home - despite clapping off the team to the end and all our kids needing the loo before we left the ground - we managed the 22.17 (delayed) from Falmer, got straight on to a Hove service and changed there immediately. Even if you take the time the game finished as the start point of the return that's an hour over and 90 minutes home. Two and a half hours.

You're still bitter there's no ground at Pende aren't you Andy, you mentalist.
This.
I got the 19:08 from Southwick, which was on time, arrived at Brighton on time but didn't leave until 20:10, stayed for a couple of beers after the game and caught a train which arrived in Brighton at 23:15, my train back to Southwick was at 00:04, I was home by 00:30. Well under 6 hours and that includes a missing train home and hanging around for drinks.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Sounds like the trains were shocking (no surprise) but I'm in the 7.15 is far too dodgy camp. I've always aimed to be at the station an hour before kick-off just in case - then get a pint at the ground, not a big deal. But then I hate getting into grounds last minute anyway - maybe just a habit developed from the days when you always needed to get there with a bit of time to spare to bag a good spot. Going to football was never just a 90 minute thing.

This. especially on an evening game - where the trains are always (repeat ALWAYS) complete crap. got on the 6.38pm train having waited for 20 minutes or more. the next one at 6.59pm had been cancelled due to staff shortages.
I regularly catch the 19:26 from Brighton for evening games and I have never (repeat NEVER) missed kick off until last night. There's almost always a few straggling Albion fans but never a queue.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I regularly catch the 19:26 from Brighton for evening games and I have never (repeat NEVER) missed kick off until last night. There's almost always a few straggling Albion fans but never a queue.

each to their own - i would never risk leaving it that late. sounds like most other people don't either which is why it usually works for you. Problem being last night everyone was that late cos of cancelled trains. i am sorry but you must realise that leaving it to half past seven when the game kicks off at 745pm is asking for trouble at some point.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Just to add, the communication from the Brighton Platform staff was non-existent around 18:45 - 19:15.
The platform manager did not have a clue what was going on. Announcements on the station tannoy would have helped and informed fans about the situation that was occurring.
Also Sourthern Rail and Brighton Train Station should have been liaising with the club to know how many tickets had been sold for the game as well, to enable them to plan freight effectively for that large movement of fans.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
each to their own - i would never risk leaving it that late. sounds like most other people don't either which is why it usually works for you. Problem being last night everyone was that late cos of cancelled trains. i am sorry but you must realise that leaving it to half past seven when the game kicks off at 745pm is asking for trouble at some point.
I'm sorry, you seem to be assuming that I have the option of catching an earlier train?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sorry I've allowed 30 mins to go about 5 miles and it took over an hour and you are saying it's my fault. Have I got that right?

interesting how people see things differently. you say you've allowed 30 mins which seems reasonable, i see that as allowing one train (only three cars at that), i see that as risky for catching the start. not attributing "fault", just interesting perspectives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here