Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris O'Grady

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Nice lay-off by COG to Tex in the build-up to Solly's goal. I remain unconvinced. If we can get anywhere near what we paid for him, then I would offload, and go for Muzza.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Just to give you some idea who I was referring to, he brought in for Oscar players like Chicksen, Agustein, Obika, Lita, Rodrigeuz and Monakana who you will agree did not feature in too many games between them.

Don't know about the others but I heard Agustien was being scouted while Poyet was here (when Jones wasn't here). Rodriguez would surely have been a player that Oscar wanted. Chicksen was presumably signed as back up and Monakana is development squad. Lita did okay when played but for some reason Oscar rarely picked him. Obika is the only one I think you can criticise Jones for, as he was pretty poor!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Nice lay-off by COG to Tex in the build-up to Solly's goal. I remain unconvinced. If we can get anywhere near what we paid for him, then I would offload, and go for Muzza.

No guarantee we can get Murray. Suggestion is Palace have recalled him and he may well feature in their squad. If not, you would imagine Reading are top of the list to sign him.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Don't know about the others but I heard Agustien was being scouted while Poyet was here (when Jones wasn't here). Rodriguez would surely have been a player that Oscar wanted. Chicksen was presumably signed as back up and Monakana is development squad. Lita did okay when played but for some reason Oscar rarely picked him. Obika is the only one I think you can criticise Jones for, as he was pretty poor!

Who is Criticising Jones. If you read back a poster was defending Burkes signings which I relpied to.

ants4t

Jun 17, 2011
I think it is the suspected wage packet that is the issue with CoG.

But your point stands - when people were putting the boot into Burke - he was being judged at least in part on Hyypia's ability to make the most of the players at his disposal. Which was limited.

I think you'd be surprised with his pay package, not even close to our bigger earners.

I think some people forget that footballers are human. If you have a young family and have signed a 3 year contract and move everyone down from the north, all you want to do is get settled and play football. almost straight away he became a hate figure amongst certain fans and then cant get into a team that doesn't play to his strengths. No matter how much you get paid it is going to be an issue.

It has been a season of crucifying our own players - Stockdale, JFC, O'Grady.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Seem to recall Obika was more to do with Jones, which is quite worrying.

Worry worry. He's done ok at Swindon. I'm not certainly saying he's a player for us but our club and supporters have a dire record at assessing strikers.

The club and the fans got Ulloa right no problem. But many fans made embarrassing see you next tuesdays of themselves over Barnes. Poyet ****ed up over giving Murray a free and spending so much on CMS. Vokes was also a better player than many thought. So please don't have a downer on Jones on this judgment.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Obika and Lita were emergency loan strikers who, in the end, didn't have to play and weren't relied upon. Lita only really featured briefly in the FA Cup (scored). Obika was on the bench (briefly) but it didn't in the end matter. Bent has proven a better bet doing a similar role this season admittedly.

Chicksen as third choice for Bruno/Calderon is still, imo, a good prospect.
Rodriguez was identified by Oscar and didn't work out.

I think everyone can agree that Agustien hasn't also worked out but thats the type of player that Albion have to gamble on given their wage structure, ex Prem players with issues (attitude/injuries), sometimes it works out. - Orlandi, Vicente only just, Kus - perhaps; sometimes it doesn't. Kemy has been a mistake but Burke's team identified him at the same time as we signed, for example, Upson, and Ward who were , everyone agrees, a big success.

I think you've got Lita & Obika mixed up. Lita scored in the league at Doncaster and Obika scored in the FA cup at Port Vale.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No guarantee we can get Murray. Suggestion is Palace have recalled him and he may well feature in their squad. If not, you would imagine Reading are top of the list to sign him.

Yes, but I would still bid for him...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Utter fantasy land. He's going back to Palace.

As I said, I would make a bid. He played for Reading against us game before last, so not exactly 'fantasy-land' is it?

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
As I said, I would make a bid. He played for Reading against us game before last, so not exactly 'fantasy-land' is it?

It is complete fantasy land because he's a Palace player and is more than likely going to go back there to be assessed by the incoming manager once his Reading loan expires on January 1st. If they don't want him can you honestly see them selling him to us of all clubs?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It is complete fantasy land because he's a Palace player and is more than likely going to go back there to be assessed by the incoming manager once his Reading loan expires on January 1st. If they don't want him can you honestly see them selling him to us of all clubs?

They'll sell to whoever makes the best bid...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here