Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Referee

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
How can you blow the whistle for offside when the player is in their own half and also give offside when the ball has come off the defender which the lino has seen but then overruled him ?

CMS was in an offside position when the ball was played forward and therefore doesn't matter that it then deflected off a defender. You can't be 'played onside' due to a deflection and haven't been for quite a few years.

As for the ref, he was extremely poor. The Holla free kick was a joke because he stopped us taking a kick only about 5 or 6 yards from where the incident happened. When we did take, it was from the same place but the ref wasn't paying attention. Another incident showing his incompetence was when a long ball was headed down by Greer and one of our midfielders started moving forward into their half. The lino had flagged for offside even though the attacker didn't touch the ball and didn't even jump with Greer but the ref decided to give the free kick rather than play the obvious advantage. There was another incident in front of the West Stand (south end) near the touch line when Ince was pulled back and fouled but as he broke free the ball ran out of play for no advantage. The lino didn't flag and the ref didn't give the free kick. With the sending off, I didn't see what Dunk did but moments before, their 23 had been hacking at him right in front of the lino who failed to indicate a foul. Will see later on the telly what actually happened to warrant a second yellow! There were a number of incidents in the first half where Brentford players used an arm to pull back players but no yellow cards!!

Having said that, i thought Brentford were a lot sharper than us and probably wanted to win more. They got forward quickly and passed the ball quicker. They did get a lucky deflection for the goal but should have scored a couple of others although we were denied by a couple of good saves by their keeper.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I heard someone stood near me suggest that Dunk was going to 'rape' the ref's daughter. Absolutely disgraceful I thought!

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Did he go over the top with the vanishing spray near Greer?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Total prima donna crap......

When CMS was injured allowed our physio to run across the pitch whilst the ball was in play.

Ball didn't leave the penalty area on a goal kick, no flag from the lino or action from the ref. Quite surprising on the latter as he managed to spot the ball wasn't in the correct position on a corner from 40 yards.

Finally when the ball was rolled to him at full-time, he preceded to play keepy-uppy with it. :tosser:

bobzam

Brighton 'til I die
Aug 13, 2008
Bristol
The only consistency was his inconsistency - playing on when offside, stopping game when players OFF the pitch injured, fouls etc. so many times it was one rule for them and one for us. His lack of managing the situation led to dunk taking control and shoving their player over. The ref was truly awful and one I hope I never see at the Amex again.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Total prima donna crap......

When CMS was injured allowed our physio to run across the pitch whilst the ball was in play.

Ball didn't leave the penalty area on a goal kick, no flag from the lino or action from the ref. Quite surprising on the latter as he managed to spot the ball wasn't in the correct position on a corner from 40 yards.

Finally when the ball was rolled to him at full-time, he preceded to play keepy-uppy with it. :tosser:

Slightly off topic i was a little surprised at Brentfords 'bad' sportsmanship when CMS was injured ..O'Grady was attending to him off the pitch and Brentford took the throw in ..maybe i expect too much

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Nope, the kick would just be retaken. Would be a cracking way of wasting a few seconds late in the game. Kick it short to a defender who touches it in the box then innocently plays a long ball before the ref orders a retake

Ah. Fair do's. The old mind playing tricks on me then!

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I thought he had a fair game, you should all lay off him.

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
I wasn't paying attention at the time but also in the second half the goalie's goal kick apparently didn't clear the area before it reached the defender but lots of fans were remonstrating. I thought that was an indirect freekick if true. I seem to recall Peter Beardsley pointing it out to the ref in an England game abroad once (Yugoslavia?)

No the keeper has to retake the goal kick if the ball doesn't leave the penalty area.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Genuinely one of the most awful referees I've seen. I've seen plenty of worse individual decisions but his all round inconsistency and officiousness really stood out. I guess Dunk should have been sent off but the handling of the whole incident by both officials contributed to the push. As Hughton said, a decent ref would have managed the situation better. He certainly wasn't biased but he was bloody terrible.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The referee this week for the Brighton game....err not you, you have some hair, not you for the same reason.......yep, you will do, your bald.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Andy Davies is a decent ref , the lines people continuity made mistakes which makes his job impossible . Good effort from the team today but we obviously have limited quality up front . We need someone to run this club probably , someone who cares about the long term future of the club . We were unlucky today but the clubs plans and strategies are no where near as good as our competitors . We ve been outclassed off the pitch as well as on it this year .

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
The worst decision by a mile was when Bennett got kicked in the head and he allowed play to go on almost resulting in a goal. The rule is that the game must be stopped straight away for a head injury.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Slightly off topic i was a little surprised at Brentfords 'bad' sportsmanship when CMS was injured ..O'Grady was attending to him off the pitch and Brentford took the throw in ..maybe i expect too much
I thought that, Lamie, and thought it was well out of order. The only reasons I could think were that CMS was off the pitch, and we'd made all the substitutions (no chance of bringing someone else on).

Further off-topic, but I thought CMS showed a lot of character coming back on, when he could have ducked out for the rest of the game.

briref

Aug 12, 2008
If you think that is the worst decision of the game then actually he was pretty good.

It takes time to assess if a player has a head injury or is serious enough to stop play in which time the shot was had.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here