Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stuart Armstrong

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
He looks like a good option to me, although not sure why Celtic are okay with his departure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Charming needs a distraction from the Palace financial woes - and beating us to this signature is his perfect play to the Goons Gallery.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Gary McAllister would’ve made the England squad during his peak years and would be first name on the England team sheet if he was playing today.

Not a chance, bench player at best.

Not even in Ince’s class let alone Gascoigne’s.

All IMO of course.....

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Andrew Robertson is as good as any of them as was James Mc Fadden in the 2000s

Robertson definitely, could eventually be as well regarded as Hansen in my view. Great player.

McFadden though......:. Really?
Wasn’t he just hopelessly out of his depth after he moved?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Robertson definitely, could eventually be as well regarded as Hansen in my view. Great player.

McFadden though......:. Really?
Wasn’t he just hopelessly out of his depth after he moved?

Nah - Faddy is one of the most gifted players I ever seen play football. He started getting very injury prone even before he left Motherwell

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Gary McAllister would’ve made the England squad during his peak years and would be first name on the England team sheet if he was playing today.

I played both alongside and against Gary Mc Allister between under 10s and under 14s with Fir Park Boys Club and in the North Lanarkshire schools set up. Great player but James Mc Fadden was far more gifted player than GM

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
He looks like a good option to me, although not sure why Celtic are okay with his departure?

Only a year left on his deal again I believe, and wasn't a nailed on starter for them this season. Sounds like he wont extend his deal.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The consensus on the Celtic boards is that he had a super 2016/17 season for them but there's a feeling his head was turned in 2017/18. Most fans agree it's time to sell and the fees they're talking about are £2mill-£4mill.

In terms of the style of player, he's a genuinely two-footed midfielder that likes to get in the box and will shoot from distance. The nearest player we have to him is Gross and so I can see him being a decent bench option for the German.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I'm not so sure that they are ok' with it. Common sense must tell them though that if a player wants to move away to play a better standard of football, then they just can't compete.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The consensus on the Celtic boards is that he had a super 2016/17 season for them but there's a feeling his head was turned in 2017/18. Most fans agree it's time to sell and the fees they're talking about are £2mill-£4mill.

In terms of the style of player, he's a genuinely two-footed midfielder that likes to get in the box and will shoot from distance. The nearest player we have to him is Gross and so I can see him being a decent bench option for the German.

I cant believe he is available for that, if he is I would be steaming in, thats no money.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

One season purple patch. Could not score before. More like Dale Stephens?

Shooting style a bit like Gross though.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Charming needs a distraction from the Palace financial woes - and beating us to this signature is his perfect play to the Goons Gallery.
Exactly that. The Argus have dismissed the rumour but no doubt Parish will have the ***** at the Croydon Advertiser report they beat us to this signing just to keep a few of their twattish fans happy.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
He is nothing like Dale Stephens. Why do you keep comparing the two?

Goes back to 2015-16 when Dale was scoring goals and Armstrong wasn't and the press linked Dale with Celtic and Armstrong then wanted Premier League football. Dale is arguably stronger in the air and Armstrong stronger on his weaker foot. Both are quicker than Gross. Back then I thought Armstrong would have been a good signing,

Still we need two midfielders and a central defender. Not like for like in midfield. Pray for someone who can orchestrate the moves and comfortable in possession against pressing teams. And/or a strong box to box midfielder with a bit of pace and an eye for goal.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Goes back to 2015-16 when Dale was scoring goals and Armstrong wasn't and the press linked Dale with Celtic and Armstrong then wanted Premier League football. Dale is arguably stronger in the air and Armstrong stronger on his weaker foot. Both are quicker than Gross. Back then I thought Armstrong would have been a good signing,

Still we need two midfielders and a central defender. Not like for like in midfield. Pray for someone who can orchestrate the moves and comfortable in possession against pressing teams. And/or a strong box to box midfielder with a bit of pace and an eye for goal.

You said he is "more like Dale Stephens" (than Pascal Gross.) He is nothing like Dale Stephens. Dale is combative and breaks up play. Stuart Armstrong isn't and doesn't (Scott Brown is their destroyer in chief as everyone knows.) He is out of the side chiefly because Callum McGregor is in it, another player who is nothing at all like Dale Stephens. FWIW, I think Armstrong would be a decent signing but he would never replace Stephens, much more likely the sub that comes on for PG rather than Kayal (if we lined up like for like with last season.)

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
You said he is "more like Dale Stephens" (than Pascal Gross.) He is nothing like Dale Stephens. Dale is combative and breaks up play. Stuart Armstrong isn't and doesn't (Scott Brown is their destroyer in chief as everyone knows.) He is out of the side chiefly because Callum McGregor is in it, another player who is nothing at all like Dale Stephens. FWIW, I think Armstrong would be a decent signing but he would never replace Stephens, much more likely the sub that comes on for PG rather than Kayal (if we lined up like for like with last season.)

Dale Stephens is in a combative defensive role now with the ball in front of him. And as a replacement for the non-scoring Bridcutt I suppose he always was. And as on of our better passers his role is suited to him. But he can get forward into the box like he did at Middlesbrough. And he scored seven goals in one season. I'm a total football fan and I see the better players being able to adapt rather than diving into the football transfer supermarket.

Despite needing two midfielders, two years ago Armstrong seemed a good bet (he couldn't score back then) but we have outgrown him now. Still a fetch up and carry the ball (not just long passes) that is comfortable in the centre of the pitch would not go amiss, running at the defence instead of lifting the ball to the target man. Percy looks good on the video.

Armstrong has got more of running with ball than Dale Stephens, but I'm not sure his passing is up with Gross and Stephens. And the video only shows the goals he scores and not the misses.

NB: We play too many long balls to nobody and concede possession.

Summary: I surmise if Dale Stephens did play the Armstrong role he would be just as good.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Given you have randomly mentioned the "video" I am going to assume you haven't seen Armstrong play. So we'll leave it there.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Given you have randomly mentioned the "video" I am going to assume you haven't seen Armstrong play. So we'll leave it there.

Not about to argue. I've seen quite a lot of Armstrong misfiring. I think Dale Stephens is a better player but could do better.

It is not so much Dale Stephens lacks the finishing skills, but more like Armstrong lacks the ball winning skills. A complete midfielder should have both.

We've moved on from the likes of Armstrong as a first team player.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Nah - Faddy is one of the most gifted players I ever seen play football. He started getting very injury prone even before he left Motherwell

But injuries or not, he produced next to nothing at an arguably better level.

Motherwell bias ?[MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION] [emoji6][emoji2]

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Dale Stephens is in a combative defensive role now with the ball in front of him. And as a replacement for the non-scoring Bridcutt I suppose he always was. And as on of our better passers his role is suited to him. But he can get forward into the box like he did at Middlesbrough. And he scored seven goals in one season. I'm a total football fan and I see the better players being able to adapt rather than diving into the football transfer supermarket.

Despite needing two midfielders, two years ago Armstrong seemed a good bet (he couldn't score back then) but we have outgrown him now. Still a fetch up and carry the ball (not just long passes) that is comfortable in the centre of the pitch would not go amiss, running at the defence instead of lifting the ball to the target man. Percy looks good on the video.

Armstrong has got more of running with ball than Dale Stephens, but I'm not sure his passing is up with Gross and Stephens. And the video only shows the goals he scores and not the misses.

NB: We play too many long balls to nobody and concede possession.

Summary: I surmise if Dale Stephens did play the Armstrong role he would be just as good.

Am I alone in never understanding what the hell you are on about?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here