Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My Failed Blog

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I see it differently to you
No problem, I'm open to different points of view.
what if he wasn't literate is that really a problem
No it isn't. I think it would be a good idea for such a person to let the audience know in advance though. Otherwise we're basically saying 'never take the piss out of anyone for anything in case...'. As it is though, it seems they don't have such a problem, and they were just being slap dash with their first post.
If a one legged person was racing a 2 legged person and the 2 legged person beat them you wouldn't say mate you shouldn't be running you only have one leg.
As I said, it would be helpful to know if the writer had a problem with language. If we can see one of the runners has 1 leg, then we obviously know running is more difficult for them, and we'd react accordingly.

It's not only you that loves to pick up on the spellings grammar etc
Hopefully I don't do it for every post. I like to do it if I feel it might be slightly humorous or if I feel the poster is being rude etc. Even in the thread in question I made grammatical mistakes myself, which people commented on, which I saw the funny side of.

there are many on here that will kick the poster and stifle them and their ability to write 'proper english'.
I wouldn't want to be guilty of that. If I realise someone has difficulty writing English, I don't think I'll criticise them for it.

There have been occasions here where it's clear the poster has problems (such as mental health issues) and many posters are taking the piss, and I always stick up for the poster who has the issues. One well known example comes to mind.

And that doesn't seem to be the case here anyway.

Lush

Mods' Pet
The real problem for the OP is that there are a lot of football blogs out there. How can you make your blog not just good reading but ESSENTIAL reading?

Although if you write for the fun and not for the following I guess it doesn't really matter.

D

Deleted member 2719

As I said, it would be helpful to know if the writer had a problem with language. If we can see one of the runners has 1 leg, then we obviously know running is more difficult for them, and we'd react accordingly.

Hopefully I don't do it for every post. I like to do it if I feel it might be slightly humorous or if I feel the poster is being rude etc. Even in the thread in question I made grammatical mistakes myself, which people commented on, which I saw the funny side of.

Fair enough Trigg, i am not having a DIG just at you, there are many that will mock the dyslexic and not even consider what long term damage they could do to that persons confidence.
People will not just start with the phrase i am dyslexic please don't judge me, it just doesn't happen.

Don't stop taking the piss Trigg it's where 15,000 of you post have come from!!, we just need to be careful and get to see what a poster can take first before destroying them!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The real problem for the OP is that there are a lot of football blogs out there. How can you make your blog not just good reading but ESSENTIAL reading?

Although if you write for the fun and not for the following I guess it doesn't really matter.
And even if you want it to become essential reading, it's ok if it's not to start with - all bloggers have to start somewhere.

i am not having a DIG just at you
No I know. And I don't mind people criticising my posts, but if I don't agree then I'll say so. I think several of us posted quick criticisms of the opening post, which would have been crap for the new and young poster to read. Knowing that the poster was a genuine young fan, I'm sure we'd have been more selective with our comments.

I also happen to think that the chastising of those that were critical is over the top and something of a band wagon. Such outrage that some of us took the piss a little. Pot/kettle springs to mind.

there are many that will mock the dyslexic and not even consider what long term damage they could do to that persons confidence.
People will not just start with the phrase i am dyslexic please don't judge me, it just doesn't happen.
I understand. I think it's impossible to get right all the time though. With our new signings, many here are mocking the bed-wetters who have nothing to moan about - but are those bed-wetters just annoying cockwomles that like to moan, or are they suffering from depression etc?

Don't stop taking the piss Trigg it's where 15,000 of you post have come from!!
Indeed, to stop would require a vow of silence. A dream for many I know, but I'm not here to grant wishes.
we just need to be careful and get to see what a poster can take first before destroying them!!
You want the impossible.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There is a touch of playground stuffed aimed at any newbie but with being unnecessarily nasty at times it always tends to be one up man ship that comes from the higher number of posters, who knows maybe they just have small willies.
images

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Good luck mate. Ignore the cretins on here. I was embarrassed by some of the abuse you got.
But i thought you're a cretin??

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

To be fair, I think even if you're just writing because you enjoy it, most people have a natural desire for some form of validation.

I wouldn't write the match reports I've produced for the last couple of seasons on here, if I didn't think a significant number of people were a. reading them, and b. enjoying reading them. A decent number of pageviews and a handful of positive comments become your reward. It would (IMO at least) be difficult to find motivation to put the time in, if neither were forthcoming.

FWIW, we did an analysis of one at a point during last season and my NSC report had twice the views of Naylor's Argus report of the same match :lol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
To be fair, I think even if you're just writing because you enjoy it, most people have a natural desire for some form of validation.

I wouldn't write the match reports I've produced for the last couple of seasons on here, if I didn't think a significant number of people were a. reading them, and b. enjoying reading them. A decent number of pageviews and a handful of positive comments become your reward. It would (IMO at least) be difficult to find motivation to put the time in, if neither were forthcoming.

FWIW, we did an analysis of one at a point during last season and my NSC report had twice the views of Naylor's Argus report of the same match :lol:

I binned off an old blog that literally no one was reading that covered a lot of different subjects.

Then I started https://brightononlyathome.wordpress.com/ which is just about the Albion.

I get enough page views to keep me going at it, not so many that it's a pain in the @rse and I really enjoy it. Long may that continue.

To the OP. I didn't read your article before it was deleted but I'd say readers want to be entertained and you need to feel it's worth while doing. Find your style - your writing "voice" - and use every social media channel available to promote it. Then grow a very thick skin.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I agree that the abuse you got was unwarranted and a bit over the top but that's just how I interpreted it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that that was the spirit in which it was intended. The problem with stating things in writing and remotely as opposed to verbally and face to face is that it is more difficult to impart the sentiment you wish to convey because all you have to go by is just words on a page. Whereas verbally and face to face you can imbue the tenor of your statements by certain vocal inflections or facial mannerisms in order to soften the tone of what you are saying. This is why irony often completely flies over peoples' heads on this forum because people take the written words at face value with no visual or vocal clues to convey or understand the intended meaning.

On a seperate note I can't get rid of this image of a 47 year old man sitting at his keyboard too embarrassed to correct the general assumption that has been formed that he is a youngster of more tender years. He really wanted to correct their mistaken assumption but things just spiralled out of control and the opportunity passed him by and now he's sitting there unjustifiably feeling like a fraud because it was never him who claimed to be a sixteen year old himself, it was just a general assumption that was made and thrust upon him. If you want you can help rid me of this image because at the moment it just won't go away. If on the other hand you want to come clean we certainly won't hold it against you because we know it wasn't any of your own doing.

basque seagull

Oct 21, 2012
Yesterday I posted a thread on this forum about potential new strikers Brighton could sign titled: "Brighton's Striker Problem". At the end of the post I put a sentence about a similar (but longer) post I had made on my blog. Overall this thread didn't go down well with many of the NSC faithful. I can understand this and I respect them but do think some of what was said was a touch out of line. As well as this I did receive some constructive criticism and some very kind support.
Since posting the thread "Brighton's Striker Problem" I deleted the blog. To anyone concerned this wasn't anything todo with any responses I got on my post; instead something entirely unrelated. I am thinking of making a similar blog, but would do things the right way... asking bozza for permission to link it on this website e.t.c. I was wondering if anyone knew of any other ways to get my blog out there?
Thanks
I read your blog before it was deleted. I mostly agree with Bozza's comments. And grow a very thick skin! Pros: You did your research and brought something to the table with the content. Five new strikers I hadn't heard of + pics. Cons: Grammar and typo errors are unacceptable. Proofread your work and then do it again. It didn't scan so well, lacked a bit of flow.
On balance, as others have said look for your own tone of voice and stick with it! Don't let others get you down! Just go for it and enjoy the likes and that at least some are gonna read your work! Good luck!

Enviado desde mi MI 5 mediante Tapatalk

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And even if you want it to become essential reading, it's ok if it's not to start with - all bloggers have to start somewhere.

No I know. And I don't mind people criticising my posts, but if I don't agree then I'll say so. I think several of us posted quick criticisms of the opening post, which would have been crap for the new and young poster to read. Knowing that the poster was a genuine young fan, I'm sure we'd have been more selective with our comments.

I also happen to think that the chastising of those that were critical is over the top and something of a band wagon. Such outrage that some of us took the piss a little. Pot/kettle springs to mind.

I understand. I think it's impossible to get right all the time though. With our new signings, many here are mocking the bed-wetters who have nothing to moan about - but are those bed-wetters just annoying cockwomles that like to moan, or are they suffering from depression etc?

Indeed, to stop would require a vow of silence. A dream for many I know, but I'm not here to grant wishes.
You want the impossible.

**** me! You need to learn when to just let something go. We all get it. SHUT. UP.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
**** me! You need to learn when to just let something go.
You can see the irony in you telling someone to let something go right? And if no one continues to discuss something, then it's not being discussed, but you bouncing a post from yesterday and telling someone to shut up is the easiest way to keep them talking. I imagine you just want cheap point scoring against someone you have previous with.
We all get it. SHUT. UP.
****. OFF.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You can see the irony in you telling someone to let something go right? And if no one continues to discuss something, then it's not being discussed, but you bouncing a post from yesterday and telling someone to shut up is the easiest way to keep them talking. I imagine you just want cheap point scoring against someone you have previous with.
****. OFF.
Love it. Another multiple quote post. No, I really don't consider your sad ramblings "previous". Anyway, it's THE weekend. Enjoy! Let's go!!!!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I binned off an old blog that literally no one was reading that covered a lot of different subjects.

Then I started https://brightononlyathome.wordpress.com/ which is just about the Albion.

I get enough page views to keep me going at it, not so many that it's a pain in the @rse and I really enjoy it. Long may that continue.

To the OP. I didn't read your article before it was deleted but I'd say readers want to be entertained and you need to feel it's worth while doing. Find your style - your writing "voice" - and use every social media channel available to promote it. Then grow a very thick skin.

And a bloody good read it is too. Along with [MENTION=29900]Exile[/MENTION]'s match reports and the Albion Mag, they're all essential reads speaking as an Albion fan. And they're all fan created so you know that they are labours of love.

I'm sure you're right but even so I don't understand why there's so much grief or a need for a thick skin because, to me anyway, if you don't like the content then don't read it.

To the OP, I'd say keep on going with it and I'm sure in time that he/she will settle into a comfortable style and I think that's the only advice I feel qualified to make as a long-time blogger (albeit about music) - find a house style and stick with it. Best of luck to the OP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here