Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Where have our young people gone

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
There's more than 20,000 on the waiting list but they don't want home bred nurses because they cost to much in fees and it's far cheaper to get skilled foreign workers in.Lets be honest nurse pay is bloody embarrassing and 5 years or so studying to get in the door you'd think would put anyone off.

The magic money tree lost all its leaves on 23rd June 2016

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
There's more than 20,000 on the waiting list but they don't want home bred nurses because they cost to much in fees and it's far cheaper to get skilled foreign workers in.Lets be honest nurse pay is bloody embarrassing and 5 years or so studying to get in the door you'd think would put anyone off.

<NURSE_RANT>
Registered nurse 'starting' salaries, random selection courtesy of Google. The more experienced bands seem to go up exponentially as the pay gap versus the UK just gets bigger as you go up the scale:
UK - £22k
Republic of Ireland - £27k
Canada - £34.7k
Australia - £37.8k

I appreciate there are differences in the level of schooling required here, but frankly it should be absolutely no surprise that nobody wants to put 3 years to become a Nurse in the UK. Difficult work, awkward shift patterns, under resourced, and very poorly rewarded. My other half is a nurse but currently not working as she's taking care of our toddlers - she wants to get back to work but is considering other things as Nursing would lose us money compared to what we'd have to pay out for childcare.

From August 2017 the government stopped offering bursaries for trainee nurses, meaning that if you wanted to become a nurse, you now had to take out a student loan like any other type of higher education... thus making it even more unattractive. UK residents make up the vast majority of nurses here, but last year marked the first time that more people quit than joined (20% more). When asked, the top reason that causes nurses to quit was 'staffing levels', so with more people quitting than ever (only half of these retired from work), I don't imagine it's going to get better any time soon.

On top of that, 1 in 3 nurses are due to retire within the next ten years, so we need to seriously ramp up the number being trained to fill the gap. If you had the desire, I'd imagine it would be fairly easy to make store manager at Starbucks within three years, and they earn £26.6k for normal hours work.

</NURSERANT>

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here