Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North Europe road trip - tips for places to see on the way please

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Me and Mrs Mellotron are doing the following by car over a couple of weeks in July;

Home
Ostende (BEL) - 1 night
Ghent (BEL) - 2 nights
Hamburg (GER) - 3 nights
Aarhus (DEN) - 3 nights
Amsterdam (NED) - 3 nights
Ostende (BEL) - 1 night
Home​

As we're driving, we've decided to go fairly as-the-crow-flies so as not to add on needless extra travel hours. What I would MASSIVELY appreciate is anyone with experience of/advice on any of the cities/towns mentioned, to speak now, or forever hold your peace.

Know a fair bit about Aarhus already as been there twice, but the rest are all new to us. Any suggestions of nice places in between any of these points would be massively welcome as well.

Thanks NSC!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Me and Mrs Mellotron are doing the following by car over a couple of weeks in July;

Home
Ostende (BEL) - 1 night
Ghent (BEL) - 2 nights
Hamburg (GER) - 3 nights
Aarhus (DEN) - 3 nights
Amsterdam (NED) - 3 nights
Ostende (BEL) - 1 night
Home​

As we're driving, we've decided to go fairly as-the-crow-flies so as not to add on needless extra travel hours. What I would MASSIVELY appreciate is anyone with experience of/advice on any of the cities/towns mentioned, to speak now, or forever hold your peace.

Know a fair bit about Aarhus already as been there twice, but the rest are all new to us. Any suggestions of nice places in between any of these points would be massively welcome as well.

Thanks NSC!

If you've not been there before, would be WELL worth your while making a slight detour between Ostende and Ghent to take in the very pretty medieval city of Bruges.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
North Europe road trip - tips for places to see on the way please -

Arundel is nice as is Ditchling, although if you're going as far north as Horsham I suggest you pack some good stout knitwear.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If you've not been there before, would be WELL worth your while making a slight detour between Ostende and Ghent to take in the very pretty medieval city of Bruges.

Was planning to, but glad to hear a recommend for it. :thumbsup:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I was going to give my tuppence worth on Aarhus as I have a friend who lives there and visited them over christmas. But you've been there twice before so my recommendation of nice town but not sure it's worth three nights isn't even worth tuppence. It is a nice little town though, shame it's so far away(although thinking about it, it would be a crap road trip if it was only a 10 minute drive...).

So, I've not really helped at all other than giving the thread a bounce(which it didn't really need as it was near the top anyway). Yep.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
North Europe road trip - tips for places to see on the way please -

Arundel is nice as is Ditchling, although if you're going as far north as Horsham I suggest you pack some good stout knitwear.

Those sound fantastic but sadly not really on the way as will be starting in Worthing and travelling east.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I was going to give my tuppence worth on Aarhus as I have a friend who lives there and visited them over christmas. But you've been there twice before so my recommendation of nice town but not sure it's worth three nights isn't even worth tuppence. It is a nice little town though, shame it's so far away(although thinking about it, it would be a crap road trip if it was only a 10 minute drive...).

So, I've not really helped at all other than giving the thread a bounce(which it didn't really need as it was near the top anyway). Yep.

Yeah, you can run out of things to do in Aarhus fairly quickly, but we're actually there for a wedding. I should've mentioned that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Those sound fantastic but sadly not really on the way as will be starting in Worthing and travelling east.
Shoreham has it's moments, but 2 weeks is a bit of a reach.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If you have any spare time I would drive the extra 120 miles to Hirtshals. Spend a few hours looking at the sand dunes, cliffs, German war defences and Lighthouse then jump on the ferry to Iceland. 3 days later, with 8 hours stopover in the Faroes, you can do a quick 4 week trip round Iceland. Then pop back towards Hamburg. I highly recommend it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Have been advised to detour via Hameln (Hamelin to English speakers) on my way from Ghent to Hamburg, by a former native to Germany.

Any other thoughts? [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION]?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have been advised to detour via Hameln (Hamelin to English speakers) on my way from Ghent to Hamburg, by a former native to Germany.

Any other thoughts? [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION]?

I must admit I've never heard of Hameln. Hamburg is great fun and a city I have a lot of time for. I have looked at the route from Ghent to Hamburg and I am afraid I don't have much personal experience of that side of Germany. Koln is nice but Hamburg is my preference. If you fancy detouring even further I'd highly recommend Leipzig which has a very good arts and culture scene and a lot of cool shit going on. And if you venture there then continue up the road and pop round mine for a cuppa or a craft beer.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Antwerp. Great night out. The Hague, has a beach!

Yes, but Scheveningen beach is on the North Sea, which is effing freezing at any time of year.

The Hague has as many decent beer bars as Antwerp these days. Although to be fair the one simply called The Craft Beer Bar on the pier in Scheveningen doesn't live up to the promise of its name.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here